Politics Has there ever been an election where you liked both leaders?

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just curious as I can't remember a state or federal election where I liked the leaders of both major parties and I can't recall anyone saying they liked both.

Plenty of elections where people have hated both leaders of the major parties.

TBH I don't follow state politics much, but I voted for Malinauskas and he seems like a decent bloke. No comment on some on the other state premiers. At the federal level, Scomo pissed me off and Albanese seemed like the lesser of two evils, but made a protest vote for a minor party over what's happened in this country these last few years.

Closest in my voting age would have been Turnbull v Shorten. I didn't like either of them; but I didn't hate them. (at least at the time)

I daresay I would have struggled with Hewson V Keating; but that was before my time.

Howard and Beasley (Howard's last few years best forgotten)
Abbott (so many stupid decisions but not bad as a person)and Gillard (very sad that she was never given a chance by the ALP due to Rudd and his supporters)

Can't stand later years Howard, Rudd, Keating, Shorten, Turnbull, Latham, and Scummo.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Howard and Beasley (Howard's last few years best forgotten)
Abbott (so many stupid decisions but not bad as a person)and Gillard (very sad that she was never given a chance by the ALP due to Rudd and his supporters)

Can't stand later years Howard, Rudd, Keating, Shorten, Turnbull, Latham, and Scummo.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
You like abbott but not turnball. Thats seriously nuts.

The last couple of Tasmanian elections have been like that for me. Hodgman/Gutwein v White. At least compared to the douchebag and tird sandwich options at national level.
You guys do seem to have some goid politicians down there

Hewsen vs Keating. Hewsen was centre right back than but is almost an independent now. Hates the current ideology of the Libs and openly mocks them. The only Lib outside of Turnbull I was ok with being Prime Minister. Had reasonable policies about structural reform could debate them well (apart from the GST fiasco with Mike Willesse) and was open to left wing ideas. Only reason he didn't win was because he was up against a formidable foe and that GST moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You like abbott but not turnball. Thats seriously nuts.
I can sort of understand it. With Abbott he at least stood by a belief (yes, he lied, on ABC/SBS funding, "carbon tax", etc, no more than anyone else; by the standards of a politician he stood by his beliefs) I can understand people respecting that even if almost every one of those beliefs run counter to my own. Turnbull wasn't really able to stand by anything, as he got rolled by the Abbott-wing of the party the whole time.

I can sort of understand it. With Abbott he at least stood by a belief (yes, he lied, on ABC/SBS funding, "carbon tax", etc, no more than anyone else; by the standards of a politician he stood by his beliefs) I can understand people respecting that even if almost every one of those beliefs run counter to my own. Turnbull wasn't really able to stand by anything, as he got rolled by the Abbott-wing of the party the whole time.
Hitler stood for his beliefs. It makes me hate him more Compared to a version of himself where he didnt.

a soft leader with reasonable beliefs is always better then a strong leader with terrible beliefs.

I reckon had I been of voting age Fraser v Hawke would have been one for me. Liked Hawke and from what I heard from Fraser in his later years he sounded decent

Never got to an election, but I liked Simon Crean. Voting for Howard was easy when the other choice was Mark Latham.

At the time I never got the hate for Latham, I can see it now, but was it obvious back when he was opposition leader?
The who hand shake thing was over egged in my opinion .

I do remember Bob Brown taking Latham through the Tarkine and Latham couldn't look less impressed if he tried. But there were no other clues from my vantage point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back