Haters got owned by Tony Armstrong

Remove this Banner Ad

You see I'm waiting for the day when it all turns ugly, as all obsessional relationships do in the end.

The scene: BBB's lair, with a deep dark pit buried behind the dusty piles of DVD's of every Brad Dick posession he every had since he was in primary school.

Armstrong: (Groggily) W...where am I?
BBB: It puts the lotion on it's skin
Armstrong: What the hell? Where am I? Who the hell are you?"
BBB: IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN!
Armstrong: What ******* lotion? What is this s**t?
BBB: IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!!!

Enter BBB wearing a cloak made from Brad Dick's discarded tendons...

Fly Fly away little Starling....fly fly away...

Whether one likes or dislikes Armstrong's footballing abilities (I don't understand the heat) a player can only be judged on what they've done.

In that context & playing for Collingwood then Armstrong has not done anything wrong & has not played poorly when playing for the firsts this year. In fact he has played reasonably well & better than some have thought. He has earned his place.

Whether Armstrong is going to be a good fit in the future is a different question.

We had a bunch of injuries and he came in and played his role. Sometimes to good effect, sometimes well below par. He was top 15 for us in his 5 games based on fantasy points with a high of 5th v WC and dead last v the Hawks. He actually was on average our 13th best fantasy points receiver over that period. Having said that, you'd hope when we had a full list he'd be fringe / depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether one likes or dislikes Armstrong's footballing abilities (I don't understand the heat) a player can only be judged on what they've done.

In that context & playing for Collingwood then Armstrong has not done anything wrong & has not played poorly when playing for the firsts this year. In fact he has played reasonably well & better than some have thought. He has earned his place.

Whether Armstrong is going to be a good fit in the future is a different question.
He played 4 OK games (the Brisbane game, I'll admit was a tremendous effort considering he had already played VFL that day), and 1 horrid game vs the Hawks.

His efforts have been ok, but certainly nowhere near best 22 standard, and after 5 years in the system he is still behind a raft of younger players who are showing a lot more promise.

He is solid depth, and nothing more, hence the reason many of us would have no issue in seeing him delisted if it means we get the chance of drafting another young player whom our recruiting dept see as having better potential.

You say a player can only be judged on what he's done. I completely agree. Here's what he's done in 5 years.

* Played for 3 clubs, including being delisted from the cub he grew up supporting

* Only managed 34 senior games over that 5 year period

* Not much else

There's not so much hate for Armstrong, as there is a realistic view that he has not developed in to a best 22 player in 5 years, and is unlikely to at all in the future. Those are the types of players that get delisted, plain and simple.

I dont know how Armstrong will go next year, but he will forever be remembered for playing two games in one day in season 2014. A tremendous effort.

I say he will play the Season in the VFL and could be De-Listed at season end

Credibility gone right there. If you had any. If he is best 15 at our club then we are majorly screwed as far as our list goes.

Agree IF Armstrong is is our best 22.We will struggle to win a game next season

We had a bunch of injuries and he came in and played his role. Sometimes to good effect, sometimes well below par. He was top 15 for us in his 5 games based on fantasy points with a high of 5th v WC and dead last v the Hawks. He actually was on average our 13th best fantasy points receiver over that period. Having said that, you'd hope when we had a full list he'd be fringe / depth.

He wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that last game. The team should've been dropped. I'm no wrap for him but the criticism needs to be balanced & provide context. The problem with stats is that they are devoid of context. Using the last game like that in my view doesn't provide context. If we used that last game surely there'd be more than just him who were well below par against a rampaging Hawks.

I had no idea why we had picked up Armstrong at the end of last season. But credit to him, he hasn't done anything wrong in his limited time with us. I don't think he is ever going to be an amazing, or instant, best 22 kind of player, but he'll be handy to have on the list for a couple of seasons.

Who knows, he may even get better. I doubt he'd be on very much money so I do see the harm in keeping him on for awhile.

He wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that last game. The team should've been dropped. I'm no wrap for him but the criticism needs to be balanced & provide context. The problem with stats is that they are devoid of context. Using the last game like that in my view doesn't provide context. If we used that last game surely there'd be more than just him who were well below par against a rampaging Hawks.
That was why I quoted his best game also and his average over 5 games. So it wasn't all about his inept 5th game where, as you say, he wasn't alone. He was however, statistically the worst as he was statistically 5th best in the WC game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Armstrong never reads this thread, he is a Collingwood player and deserves a lot more respect than some of our supposed supporters are offering him. I see upside in the guy as with all currently on our list, I am sure our football department knows more than some of the disrespectful spuds bagging our players. F off and go give your support to the blue scum, that's the sh1t they do.

Playing two full games back to back at that level, gets nothing but praise from me, putting his hand up and his body through that.

Some people are more keen on winning an argument than sticking to the truth and will turn on our guys, top 10 or top 40 who gives

He played 4 OK games (the Brisbane game, I'll admit was a tremendous effort considering he had already played VFL that day), and 1 horrid game vs the Hawks.

His efforts have been ok, but certainly nowhere near best 22 standard, and after 5 years in the system he is still behind a raft of younger players who are showing a lot more promise.

He is solid depth, and nothing more, hence the reason many of us would have no issue in seeing him delisted if it means we get the chance of drafting another young player whom our recruiting dept see as having better potential.

You say a player can only be judged on what he's done. I completely agree. Here's what he's done in 5 years.

* Played for 3 clubs, including being delisted from the cub he grew up supporting

* Only managed 34 senior games over that 5 year period

* Not much else

There's not so much hate for Armstrong, as there is a realistic view that he has not developed in to a best 22 player in 5 years, and is unlikely to at all in the future. Those are the types of players that get delisted, plain and simple.
He proved he was best 22 when he came in late in the season.
All your crafty arguments are debunked.

Amrstrong is the sole reason we are such a good team. Credit must go to Buckley for bringing in the very best. I stand and applaud.

auzdl3.jpg

I don't know why i am replying to this thread but how is the OP's hate of Maxwell going?

At least, he was a premiership captain, unlike Tony "who the hell" Armstrong

What are Armstrongs deficiencies biggest knocks?

"He doesn't tackle"

Well he averaged 3 a year and his player profile states he applies good tackling pressure.

"He's soft"

Well he jumped in front of Tom Boyd, soft people don't do that.

"He is unaccountable"

Well he was never exposed defensively this year.

"He doesn't take the game on enough"

In the pre season I would have agreed but he seemed to improve that late when he got into ripping form into the VFL carried some of it over to the AFL. And allot of his handpasses and kicks set other people up to take runs.

What are Armstrongs deficiencies biggest knocks?

"He doesn't tackle"

Well he averaged 3 a year and his player profile states he applies good tackling pressure.

"He's soft"

Well he jumped in front of Tom Boyd, soft people don't do that.

"He is unaccountable"

Well he was never exposed defensively this year.

"He doesn't take the game on enough"

In the pre season I would have agreed but he seemed to improve that late when he got into ripping form into the VFL carried some of it over to the AFL. And allot of his handpasses and kicks set other people up to take runs.
One wonders why he was delisted by Sydney if he's so good

One wonders why he was delisted by Sydney if he's so good

Because they wanted cap room to fit Buddy and Armstrong signalled his intent to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back