Have the events of the last four years impacted your love of Aussie rules?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love football but I ******* hate the AFL. The Essendon saga was really the final straw for me as far as supporting the AFL as an entity.

I wouldn't blame the AFL for Essendon's doping but I do blame them for the way they tried to rig the investigation in their favour. Right throughout proceedings the AFL has only ever been interested in protecting it's public image no matter the cost to their integrity or the rest of the competition. It's been nothing short of appalling.
They've been trying to save Essendon's bacon all along, yet their supporters keep blaming the AFL. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

From the shambolic handling of the Essendon affair, to victim blaming during the Martin incident, the AFL has ruined footy somewhat for me. Trying to tell the crowd who they can and can't boo, therefore making them boo harder. Telling the crowd not to boo PED users.

I'm one of the few bombers fans who think we were guilty. However, we should have been suspended once everything came out, not 4 years after. Another gripe I have is the insincere themed rounds for every minority group under the sun. I watch sport to escape politics. However, their treatment of the fans has been even worse. The ticket prices are absurd. Food expensive. Blatant extortion.

The constant lying and PR spin has ruined my love of the sport. This is the first time in 16 years I have not renewed my membership. As a fan, I feel mistreated and disillusioned.

Sorry AFL. I will continue to watch, but will not pay you a dime this year. I still like the sport but your negligent, irresponsible and greedy stewardship has taken away my passion.

Does anyone feel similarly to me?
I agree with you totally. And looking at my club I have no reason to complain. BUT! In terms of football Aussie style , the AFL with the best intention
"I THINK" have done exactly what you said. Changed the sport so much turned it into a huge elite business with the introduction of two uneeded teams for Television money.
I am a firm believer in the fact that the messing and changing the rules over the last few years has created a terrible situation where by cheating can occur in the lowest possible way, where the grey ness of rules could, and I emphasize could, allow a set up where an official on the ground would find it easy to manipulate the situation in a game.
Now I hope to heaven that that never happens , but with the world of sport being totally hammered by accusations of cheating at all levels , our game has been placed exactly where other sports are finding themselves, when we all see umpires making good and bad decisions but some decisions we do not even know what they were for?????
The fact that there is a thread now on here asking if people think Hird may have been on performance enhancers all his career. GIVE ME A BREAK!
So the handling of Essendon was a joke, and the players being crucified right now is an injustice, the wrong are being punished.

Our game is being ruined by dilution of the playing pool. Dimetriou is right smack in the middle of the expansion shemozzle, maybe the new clubs will have success, but at whose expense? Western Sydney region will NEVER EVER , be a giant Australian rules base, it was a grave mistake , the AFL financially setting GWS and GC17 with money that may see traditional clubs go down the drain.

I think some of the rules were designed to help a lower talent pool.

Yes I am disillusioned as you are with our mighty game , and its corporate rot , that is setting in. But I still love the sport itself, heaven knows where the big league is heading though.

Maybe if my club was doing s**t I'd be more upset but honestly I love footy more than ever.
Lost a lot of respect for how the AFL tried to save face by trying to cover up Essendon's systematic doping though.
Essendon did not systematically dope any one , it hasn't been proven undoubtedly yet. That is the unfortunate fact.

I still love the game but * the media circus side of things, its embarrassing.

I love that WCE supporters still boo and bring some life to the game.

I dont 'hate the AFL' but I do put much of the blame on Essendon.

I have enjoyed watching Hird make a muppet of himself, and enjoyed Essendons demise.

However, I will not enjoy watching them this season with an extremely weakened team.

I feel for my Essendon supporting friends, but I do not feel for Essendon supports in general who still continue to stand by hird.

Outside of Essendon support the ASADA dramas have been a no factor in love of the game, just dragged on for way too long. Dream team has killed footy for me in a lot of ways I become obsessed with it. More than results besides my own side. Only up side is I'll happily watch a bottom of the table clash if I have PoD players playing.

Essendon did not systematically dope any one , it hasn't been proven undoubtedly yet. That is the unfortunate fact.

'Proven undoubtedly'? No, and it probably never will (and realistically, never can).

It has however been proven to the comfortable satisfaction of the worlds leading sports judical body, which is about as close as we're ever going to get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's fooked.

The passion just isn't there any more I'm at a point where I couldn't care if Essendon win or lose.

I'll ask PAFC to send you a membership application!

Yeah, starting with the tanking/non-tanking verdict. The league was too weak to whack us for doing what blind Freddy knew we'd done, because they didn't fancy opening a pandoras box on every other club who has done it. I enjoy watching it for watching sake, and I'll always care about the Dees, but I find it difficult to invest in the AFL's narrative of how things should be (TM).

I can block out all the media rubbish if need be but for me the game has become less enjoyable simply because of the Channel 7 commentary team. To me they are on par with people who eat raw onions. Going to the match is still very special for me but all the joy of watching the game on telly has been sucked out by the boys club of buffoons.

Sorry AFL. I will continue to watch, but will not pay you a dime this year. I still like the sport but your negligent, irresponsible and greedy stewardship has taken away my passion.

Does anyone feel similarly to me?

The last 4yrs have been the most enjoyable 4yrs of football I can recall in my life time. The Essendon saga coupled with Hawthorn premierships has been like a double-crested orgasm that just goes on and on indefinitely. My only concern is whether this concentrated amount of satisfaction is healthy for my body.

Last edited:
I dont 'hate the AFL' but I do put much of the blame on Essendon.

I have enjoyed watching Hird make a muppet of himself, and enjoyed Essendons demise.

However, I will not enjoy watching them this season with an extremely weakened team.

I feel for my Essendon supporting friends, but I do not feel for Essendon supports in general who still continue to stand by hird.
Derp. Do you actually bother thinking before typing this s**t?

When the tribunal decision came down the overwhelming sentiment was "everyone in a position of power at the club at the time can get ****ed".

That very much included Hird. Also, stand by him? He ceased being coach six months ago, dude. It's not 2013 anymore.

Derp. Do you actually bother thinking before typing this s**t?

When the tribunal decision came down the overwhelming sentiment was "everyone in a position of power at the club at the time can get stuffed".

That very much included Hird. Also, stand by him? He ceased being coach six months ago, dude. It's not 2013 anymore.
Sure mate.

The last four years? Essendon are still playing victims. Idiots in the media are suggesting a drug cheat like Jobe Watson should keep his Brownlow. Still has a long way to go. I am not prepared to put any money into the AFL just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back