Autopsy Hawks v Dockheads : Pull it apart here

Remove this Banner Ad

This is wrong. A banana could fully cross the line and still bend round and hit the post. The ball can (and has) bounce of an umpires leg onto the post after crossing the line and its a point. It's not a grey area.
But because the banana had crossed the line (the one between the back if the pads around the post, not the line on the ground) it would be a goal.
A line between thickest part of the two goal posts it's what the ball must cross completely.
Or at least that's my understanding.

It never ceases to amuse me how EVERY club feel that they're hard done by in their treatment from: umpires, AFL, MRP, Press et al. I do not omit Hawthorn from this category either, by any stretch. I always try to look for hints of sarcasm in the posts that get put up but they're never forthcoming. People genuinely believe that they're all victims of some surreptitious plot to get their club yet somehow fail to notice that every other club has the same complaint. It's like a case-study on the psychology of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.
Testify, maaan, they're out to get us!

Illuminati100.jpg

Interesting when you re-watch the incident in slow motion. Actually looks like Fyfe meant to make contact with Lewis' shoulder as he (Lewis) suddenly changed direction away from where most players were moving to run ahead of the play. Lewis sees Fyfe about to make contact with him and threw his arm up, which forced Fyfe's arm into the back of Lewis' head. This would make more sense as I've never seen Nat strike a player off the ball.

Its truly a disgrace that Fyfe was rubbed out for this, and not Lewis who is as you point out really the one responsible. Should take it to the Tribunal.

Interesting when you re-watch the incident in slow motion. Actually looks like Fyfe meant to make contact with Lewis' shoulder as he (Lewis) suddenly changed direction away from where most players were moving to run ahead of the play. Lewis sees Fyfe about to make contact with him and threw his arm up, which forced Fyfe's arm into the back of Lewis' head. This would make more sense as I've never seen Nat strike a player off the ball.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-17/is-fyfe-in-strife

Ha ha, great justification.

Or maybe Fyfe actually deliberately smacked Lewis in the head!

Why didn't we follow Adelaide's lead, and ask the AFL for a please explain for Poppy's overturned goal also?
Our club is becoming like the timid kid at primary school, you can do anything to them, and they just accept it.

Its truly a disgrace that Fyfe was rubbed out for this, and not Lewis who is as you point out really the one responsible. Should take it to the Tribunal.

Wonder how this one was missed by the MRP?

BvRZh5zCEAAJJlE.jpg:large

You guys lacked Roughead in the 1st half, where you dominated for large period but could not put enough pressure on the scoreboard.

Rioli out is really hurting you when teams lock down on Smith and Hill, as it stops your quick movement. This was really evident when Freo got on top of the clearances which stopped your quick movement into the forward line.

Gunstan struggles as the main target, but looks a world beater as a third tall.

If you get Roughead and Rioli back, and McEvoy in some form you will got deep into September. Best of luck for the rest of year (until we meet you on the last day in September)
Happy to meet you last day of September - would mean no flag for $hitme

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-17/is-fyfe-in-strife
You have now. Why was he taking a swing in the first place?

Correct, AFL/Vics would certainly not entertain that idea!
Well lets get real

2004,'05 & '06

All 3 grand finals had over 95,000 at the game, all grand finals had 2 interstate teams competing

WA has a chance to build a big state of the art stadium, but spoil it by only having 60,000 seats

Do you think any club/AFL is going to accept just 60% of the usual revenue.

I don't think so nor would i want them too

But because the banana had crossed the line (the one between the back if the pads around the post, not the line on the ground) it would be a goal.
A line between thickest part of the two goal posts it's what the ball must cross completely.
Or at least that's my understanding.

The laws conflict to some extent. The law for goal states the ball must cross the whole line to be a goal. The law for hit the post states that if the ball hits any part of the post or anything attached to the post it is a point.

It is therefore down to interpretation. The way I was taught (by ex afl umpires) was that if it crosses the line - hits your leg - and bounces onto the post - it's hit the post and it's a point.

Someone raised the question as to whether it could then bounce two metres behind the line - bounce backwards and hit the post - but the reality is this is just not possible - hence there has never been a need to clarify this.

I umpired for five years and I never once saw the ball bounce back out into the field of play let alone into the post. I understand that footy scan bounce unpredictably however they almost never defy the laws of physics and move against momentum.

I think it was an attempt to shepherd Lewis that went wrong.

Hey, mate, we don't believe you, it was a punch to the face.
Tough boy Fyfe was found out.

You've had your fun here, so why don't you p*ss off and go back to your friends on the other side.

Hey, mate, we don't believe you, it was a punch to the face.
Tough boy Fyfe was found out.

You've had your fun here, so why don't you p*ss off and go back to your friends on the other side.

I thought it polite to answer the gentleman's question.

Just need to beat a down and out Collingwood to make the top 3 and a final v Geelong. We could of won all 3 of the last 3 games and got the same result. One win out the last 3 is all that is required and a healthy list.

Agree, agree.

Not too concerned if the cats get us this week either as long as we leave a few tricks and fresh players for QFinal 2 weeks later.

Don't forget the Lions in 2003, only 14 games in H&a season and 4 weeks later were considered the greatest team since whenever!!

All yday did was confirm Freo can give it a shake but it was so open and flowing I think both coaches were holding onto a few tricks. Expect similar from us this week v cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back