Autopsy Hawks vs Eagles Grand Final - We take our thirteenth flag!!!! The Threepeat is ours

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, sorry to intrude... I was just watching Fox Footy's "history month" and saw the 2012 GF... When that final siren went it would've been easy for your coach, players and club to think that was their chance and they missed it.
Instead they set about doing everything in their power to make up for the disappointment.
Subsequently winning the next three flags, and not without your fair share of major setbacks, and there's nothing to suggest they can't make it a fourth next year...
My point is, this group of coaches and players and the club as a whole are to be admired and as supporters you're entitled to be extremely proud of your club.
Congratulations, not just on the threepeat but on the character, resilience, leadership and strength of your club.
I'm jealous !

Thanks for the kind words.

What a horrendous day.
When the final siren went in 2012, I was running down the stairs at the MCG, and by the time they got to the end of the first verse of the Swans song, I was half way to the car park in the city.

But, the coaches and players are better than me, they turned it all around.

Thanks for the kind words.

What a horrendous day.
When the final siren went in 2012, I was running down the stairs at the MCG, and by the time they got to the end of the first verse of the Swans song, I was half way to the car park in the city.

But, the coaches and players are better than me, they turned it all around.
The swans claim to have stopped the 4 in the row but I contend that they actually were the reason for the 3peat

Hi guys, sorry to intrude... I was just watching Fox Footy's "history month" and saw the 2012 GF... When that final siren went it would've been easy for your coach, players and club to think that was their chance and they missed it.
Instead they set about doing everything in their power to make up for the disappointment.
Subsequently winning the next three flags, and not without your fair share of major setbacks, and there's nothing to suggest they can't make it a fourth next year...
My point is, this group of coaches and players and the club as a whole are to be admired and as supporters you're entitled to be extremely proud of your club.
Congratulations, not just on the threepeat but on the character, resilience, leadership and strength of your club.
I'm jealous !
Classy post. You have Bolts who was a big part of it so you never know what will come your way. I've got a sneaky feeling Carlton will gradually turn it around with him around. Good luck

The swans claim to have stopped the 4 in the row but I contend that they actually were the reason for the 3peat
If I go to run a 100 metres and someone stops me from starting, but then I start a bit later then they haven't really stopped me from running 100 metres! It's only after I start can someone stop me.

If I go to run a 100 metres and someone stops me from starting, but then I start a bit later then they haven't really stopped me from running 100 metres! It's only after I start can someone stop me.
I guess what they'll argue is that they prevented us from getting one more in a row on top of whatever we end up with.

But I agree with those who say we likely wouldn't have seen the motivation to do what they've done if it wasn't for that GF loss.

Would we have had the same determination to get over the Cats in the 2013 PF? Perhaps. But perhaps not.

I'm happy with the way things have gone now.

Calling it very early IMO: delayed it at best, if not helping inspire it, I'd have thought...

My missus asked me a few weeks ago what the top 5 moments in my life have been.

Let's see:
1. Daughter born
2. 2008 GF
3. 2015 GF
4. 2014 GF
5. 2013 GF
(I went to 08 and 15, hence why they were before the others)

Copped a clip around the ear for that lol :D

Kudos to her though - she did organise my surprise trip to the GF this year. :thumbsu:

Can't wait for next year when we become the greatest team to ever exist.

My missus asked me a few weeks ago what the top 5 moments in my life have been.

Let's see:
1. Daughter born
2. 2008 GF
3. 2015 GF
4. 2014 GF
5. 2013 GF
(I went to 08 and 15, hence why they were before the others)

Copped a clip around the ear for that lol :D

Kudos to her though - she did organise my surprise trip to the GF this year. :thumbsu:

Can't wait for next year when we become the greatest team to ever exist.

Notice the wedding didn't get a mention. Im sure that went down well.

Watched a large chunk of the '12 GF yesterday. It's still certainly painful, but in the light of what's happened since, I can actually watch it. Part of me even laughs as I do.

Another part of me is actually even grateful for it. It's part of our recent journey, and without it, it's highly debateable as to whether we would have done what have done since. Pain is a powerful motivator. It's pretty obvious that we had massive determination not to repeat that, especially what happened in the 2nd quarter. When teams have come at us in Grand Finals since, we have quickly crushed the resistance with pressure and a timely series of goals.

Obviously we'll never know what would have happened had we won that day, it's too simplistic to just say 'we would have won 4 in a row'. I look back on it philosophically. It was part of the process that netted us a 3-peat.

Watched a large chunk of the '12 GF yesterday. It's still certainly painful, but in the light of what's happened since, I can actually watch it. Part of me even laughs as I do.

Another part of me is actually even grateful for it. It's part of our recent journey, and without it, it's highly debateable as to whether we would have done what have done since. Pain is a powerful motivator. It's pretty obvious that we had massive determination not to repeat that, especially what happened in the 2nd quarter. When teams have come at us in Grand Finals since, we have quickly crushed the resistance with pressure and a timely series of goals.

Obviously we'll never know what would have happened had we won that day, it's too simplistic to just say 'we would have won 4 in a row'. I look back on it philosophically. It was part of the process that netted us a 3-peat.
The 2012 GF Team. There are enough players (and coach of course) on the list that should use that pain to drive them to more success.

Hawthorn
B:
14 Grant Birchall 6 Josh Gibson 24 Ben Stratton
HB:
4 Matt Suckling 25 Ryan Schoenmakers 9 Shaun Burgoyne
C:
3 Jordan Lewis 5 Sam Mitchell 8 Xavier Ellis
HF: 19 Jack Gunston 23 Lance Franklin 16 Isaac Smith
F:
33 Cyril Rioli 2 Jarryd Roughead 22 Luke Breust
Foll:
20 David Hale 15 Luke Hodge (c) 12 Brad Sewell
Int: 11 Clinton Young 26 Liam Shiels 28 Paul Puopolo
21 Shane Savage (sub)
Coach: Alastair Clarkson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm jealous !
Thanx mate, it is good that once in a while that an oppo supporter actually gives Hawthorn 'some' credit!!! Post 2012 lot of journos and people said that it was Hawks last gasp and they blew it but it takes a lot of hard work and courage to get where they are now. Well said by your good self.

Thanx mate, it is good that once in a while that an oppo supporter actually gives Hawthorn 'some' credit!!! Post 2012 lot of journos and people said that it was Hawks last gasp and they blew it but it takes a lot of hard work and courage to get where they are now. Well said by your good self.

2013: It was going to be the Fremantle pressure, unseen by any of the commentators before,
2014: Hawks were up against the complete football team in swans, and their 2-way run (or whatever it was called),
2015: The eagles Web was going to suffocate the tiring hawks in the hottest GF of them all.

Nek minnit: Hawks are 3 peaters!

I guess what they'll argue is that they prevented us from getting one more in a row on top of whatever we end up with.

We blew that final big time. We kick straight, we win. Simple.

******* AFL pretenders they are the Swans.

Bit concerned that the bitterness thread is on the front page and I had to go to page 6 to find the autopsy thread. Get around the winners folks!

This is an immortal team that will be hailed for the rest of our lives as one of if not the greatest team of all time. We made the second best team look ordinary for large periods and we showed amazing skill and execution under pressure. Hodge's goal was the perfect statement in the perfect moment. WC had us under pressure on the boundary in or own forward line and Hodge said, no worries, we are better than you and slotted it with ease. Must have been shattering for WC. How do you stop that? And the little master Rioli's pickpocket and insta-handball to Breust, to Puopolo and long to Gunston with the perfect kick. Too good. Absolutely too good.

Bit concerned that the bitterness thread is on the front page and I had to go to page 6 to find the autopsy thread. Get around the winners folks!

This is an immortal team that will be hailed for the rest of our lives as one of if not the greatest team of all time. We made the second best team look ordinary for large periods and we showed amazing skill and execution under pressure. Hodge's goal was the perfect statement in the perfect moment. WC had us under pressure on the boundary in or own forward line and Hodge said, no worries, we are better than you and slotted it with ease. Must have been shattering for WC. How do you stop that? And the little master Rioli's pickpocket and insta-handball to Breust, to Puopolo and long to Gunston with the perfect kick. Too good. Absolutely too good.
The bitterness is the gift that keeps on giving. Even nearly 6 months on there is new material popping up.

The bitterness is the gift that keeps on giving. Even nearly 6 months on there is new material popping up.

I resent that.

'New' material? Where is this 'new material', of which you speak? All I ever see is the same, tired old clichéd crap, 'They was lucky', 'The umps like Stevic get them over the line', 'Cyril is overrated', 'There were no strong teams, their opposition was weak', 'high draft picks', blah blah blah.....

2013: It was going to be the Fremantle pressure, unseen by any of the commentators before,
2014: Hawks were up against the complete football team in swans, and their 2-way run (or whatever it was called),
2015: The eagles Web was going to suffocate the tiring hawks in the hottest GF of them all.

Nek minnit: Hawks are 3 peaters!

Also the weather was goinfg to favour the non Melbourne team each year. it was doing to be the worst heat/wind/hail for a century which would ruin our dinky chip chip game.

The only time it did favour the team who had played less games at the MCG was 2012 when hail and cold were forecast, but in the end it was quite mild and the swans going in with two ruckmen to our one ended up with a height advantage

'New' material? Where is this 'new material', of which you speak? All I ever see is the same, tired old clichéd crap, 'They was lucky', 'The umps like Stevic get them over the line', 'Cyril is overrated', 'There were no strong teams, their opposition was weak', 'high draft picks', blah blah blah.....

Similar is said about the premiers in any given year, it's tall poppy syndrome.. *'em!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Also the weather was goinfg to favour the non Melbourne team each year. it was doing to be the worst heat/wind/hail for a century which would ruin our dinky chip chip game.

The only time it did favour the team who had played less games at the MCG was 2012 when hail and cold were forecast, but in the end it was quite mild and the swans going in with two ruckmen to our one ended up with a height advantage......

.....and we kicked poorly at goal.

Similar is said about the premiers in any given year, it's tall poppy syndrome.. ****'em!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I suspect that is a message used internally by the players and coaching staff. When interviewed after getting the NS Cyril said 2 things drive them:
1. doing everything they can to ensure that those who missed out previously get their chance
2. remembering the pain they felt after losing in 2012 - so even after 2 wins in a row the pain of 2012 was still strong.

For this year, who would count for item 1 above? WhiteX, Billy and Cegs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back