Preview Hawks vs Pies - pre-match discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting take on Elliott. On your reckoning he is a minus 2-4 goals a week player. That makes him a major liability.

When he first arrived on the scene in 2012 his defensive pressure was the 1st thing that stood out. Initially it was commented he didn't really offer much offence. In his first season he only kicked 6 goals in 15 games but tackled like mad, had 15 tackles in one game. Since then he has become more offensive but I still rate his defensive work pretty highly as he is now our second main attacking option but still goes the other way for mine.

Is a pretty low possession player over all but has some quality in those possies. If he did anything to his game most Pie supporters would like to see a bigger possession count and have him look to get some cheapies.

That's a really big contrast to what you are seeing. We have some players who can be accused of being to one way and not defending but I would have never put Elliott in that group. Is a pretty unassuming player and really doesn't do anything I can see to make him offend opposition supporters.

Interested to know what you have noticed to see him in such a poor light.
You wont get anything from this mob, just bitter, spend more time bagging Eddie than worrying about their own team, says a lot!

You wont get anything from this mob, just bitter, spend more time bagging Eddie than worrying about their own team, says a lot!
Eddie Betts? Havent seen much bagging of your Eddie around here, other than his biased commentating. As far as other matters go, he is considered somewhat of an ally in the fight against the $wan's practices.

You won't like them if they beat us. That army of there's are like the whitewalkers. Nope I do not concurr with you fine person.

I hope Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell command this game with impunity. Having said that...Collingwood will be out to hurt us..Buckley always tries to get them to be very physical with the Hawks at the start of the match...it all depends on how they pull up from the Freo game....even with the 8 day break.
Is this a racist comment about my people?

Injury report will be interesting this week. Got a bad feeling that we might have seen the last of Chip for the year, good chance Spang and a couple of other will pop up on it too.

I'd like to just see Frawley and Cyril swap places and go in with Suckers as the sub again but who knows.

Pies will bring the intensity early and will put pressure on us we will have to work hard for this one will be a good test for both sides and important for our top 4 chances

Either way it will be a big call on McEvoy this week. Hale and Cegs were ordinary given the standard of their competition.
Thought Cegs was good apart from goal kicking which was like a 3 stooges skit. I actually thought they won most of the hit outs but our mids lacked the work rate and intensity to capitalize. I guess its possible that the taps were to the wrong spot but in lieu of inside info I'm going to suggest the mids were at fault.

I suspect it'll just be the one change with Frawley going out and Rioli coming back in. Not likely to see anyone else be swapped out unless there is an injury we aren't aware of.

Hopefully we win, always nice to knock the Pies down a peg.
This

We lost the centre clearances 14 11. Given their rucks that is not a great return. Cegs was not bad just that he should have been better. He kicks those two goals and his game would look a whole lot better.

McEvoy has two BOGs so he is doing everything he can. It will be interesting to see how the selectors go. Resting Hale is a nice soft option. We have Sandi the following week so a fresh Haler has merit.

For those interested there is a 'friendly fire, no holds bar' Banter thread on the Pies board here
starts at #243
Please read the OP as rules of decency still apply
cheers

fyi Dixie Flatline Echols eldorado grizzlym Messenger

Sounds entertaining - we should have one of these. Would be red hot when we play the injectors. With the Pies, not so much. I know on the fan side we've always wanted to have an army like Collingwood; even if with a few more teeth! :)

The next 3 weeks are exciting - couldn't be better timed - a mini-finals campaign that might see us cement a Top 2 spot if we are good enough (we are!). Collingwood have improved out of sight this year, but their lack of forward options and the way our forwards match up against their backs should mean that this is an entertaining win for us - Hawks by 12 points.

Very proud of the boys for the second half this week in windy, cold conditions. They got caught on the rebound a number of times - but held their nerve and covered well for the loss of Chip.

Is this a racist comment about my people?

Are you just here to be a moron stirring up trouble?....Or do you have anything of worth to add/discuss about the upcoming game that would actually merit your presence here on our board?

If not, then kindly remove your sad, miserable, misbegotten excuse for a poster self off our board....You utter cretin!

Pretty confident about this one.
This is where Collingwood get shown up for what they really are - a young and improving side who's not quite there yet. Reality check time for the Pies.
Should be a reasonably competitive and tight game early on but the Hawks will be comfy winners in the end by 35 - 40 points.

Either way it will be a big call on McEvoy this week. Hale and Cegs were ordinary given the standard of their competition.

Totally agree. I think Bigboy will be back in. Clarko pulled out a few hairs after Cegs misses. Not sure how BB went at Box Hill though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw just over a half of the BH game and wasn't overly impressed with BB. For a guy that big who has played over 100 games he gets pushed around too easy and drops marks too often. I think a few more weeks to build confidence and work on his body positioning around the ground in marking contests is needed.

I would like to see Howe get another run at some stage though

One of the things I was really disappointed with agaist the bummers was the lack of intensity in the centre clearances. It seemed to me that the Essendon players simply wanted the ball more.

When Langford went in there he helped to steady the ship and win important clearances through shear effort.

For me, this is our biggest letdown this year, not enough effort coming from players who we know are very good players

I've heard great things about Woodward in the last few weeks, especially his effort in the contest and I think having a player like him to complement Langford and also to help kick the older guys into gear would be extremely beneficial

I have seen some worrying signs regarding our midfield set ups. Against the crows and Bombers at various times we were being slaughtered out of the middle and couldn't halt the carnage.

I hope we put some serious planning into that area this week and we are prepared to get our heads over the ball and hands dirty.

I have seen some worrying signs regarding our midfield set ups. Against the crows and Bombers at various times we were being slaughtered out of the middle and couldn't halt the carnage.

I hope we put some serious planning into that area this week and we are prepared to get our heads over the ball and hands dirty.
Center clearances are sometimes the luck of the bounce so there is no real science to it. Around the ground is a different matter

Pretty confident about this one.
This is where Collingwood get shown up for what they really are - a young and improving side who's not quite there yet. Reality check time for the Pies.
Should be a reasonably competitive and tight game early on but the Hawks will be comfy winners in the end by 35 - 40 points.

Wish I had your confidence, Hodgey.

I still think when we put the foot down no one can go with us. Our scoring potential is the envy of the competition and our ability to score quickly makes us extremely dangerous even if we are trailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back