Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is, what incentive does Taranto have to re-sign a year early unless GWS have suddenly come across some salary cap that was not there previously that they have now offered to him?

On the other hand, what incentive does Hawthorn have to re-sign Tom Mitchell with a broken leg two years early unless they needed to re-structure their TPP to create space for an incoming player?

Very different situations
Because like every list in the AFL they would know what players are going to be retiring/out of contract & wont be renewed next year. Its not as if GWS haven't planned to have a heap of youngsters getting increases in their contracts. The biggest thing is they probably know that Patton isn't going to be there so 800k is a nice amount to spread around a couple players along with the other players they know that will be off the books in 2020.

You can't force a player to be traded to x club, if he wants Hawthorn its best to deal now than wait a year,

I understand the rules but besides Bryce Gibbs, it is extremely rare a player holds out for the intention to make it to a specific club. I think Gws would rather let him walk and get another years elite service then do a trade for the sake of getting something back.

Apart from having Sammy on his case every day all day about his kicking... do you think this could also be a sign that his knee is a whole lot better than it has been since his patellar injuries? Last season and this one he’s look so much more confident.

💯.

If you watched the way he almost jumped off the ground last year when being tackled in tight to prevent one of his legs getting caught in the turf it’s obvious he is growing confidence in his body in all areas.

Because like every list in the AFL they would know what players are going to be retiring/out of contract & wont be renewed next year. Its not as if GWS haven't planned to have a heap of youngsters getting increases in their contracts. The biggest thing is they probably know that Patton isn't going to be there so 800k is a nice amount to spread around a couple players along with the other players they know that will be off the books in 2020.

One would think that GWS would be more likely to prioritize contributing that money to Coniglio, Whitfield or Cameron considering they are the FA’s, unless one of them was not staying, in which case Taranto is next in line.

You do make a fair point, but the way the dominoes have started to fall the last 2 weeks is highly unusual and in my eyes only seem to point in one direction. I could be misreading the situation, but lately each new development is increasing my confidence.

Don’t forget folks we HAVE to use a first rounder IN THE DRAFT, by the 2020 Draft.

I was of the understanding that the 1 in 4 rule was to prevent clubs trading away their future and that the AFL has discretion to grant approval to vary the requirement on a case by case scenario.

It’s hardly jeopardising your future when you bring the in Cogs and Whitfield. If anything, the AFL May be more inclined for us to use 2 x first rounders to GWS rather than seeing their franchise short changed when all the AFL can offer is a first round compo pick which is likely to be between 10-18.

All this sounds fantastic and highly optimistic however there is one important part of the puzzle that is missing.
For 10 years we have been blessed with two of the most underrated ruck/ forwards in the competition .... David Hale and Ben McEvoy.
I would imagine McEvoy has about 2 to 3 years of highly competitive football left in him but he will need help on the way. Hopefully the CEO'S son will fill that gap; otherwise I think we are short in this regard.

All this sounds fantastic and highly optimistic however there is one important part of the puzzle that is missing.
For 10 years we have been blessed with two of the most underrated ruck/ forwards in the competition .... David Hale and Ben McEvoy.
I would imagine McEvoy has about 2 to 3 years of highly competitive football left in him but he will need help on the way. Hopefully the CEO'S son will fill that gap; otherwise I think we are short in this regard.

Midfield depth and a KPD are higher priorities for us at the moment IMO.
But no doubt the ruck is an area we need to be planning for now, and I assume Reeves is one part of that equation. We have been blessed, in particular with BB. But other clubs will have emerging ruck talent sitting in the two’s that can’t get a game behind a Grundy or Gawn type that we will no doubt target in the near future.
You just need someone to compete in the ruck. Anything more is a bonus.

Very hopeful that Reeves can develop in the next couple of years.

Only way I can see GWS parting with Cogs and Whitfield to Hawks in the one season is if they know Whitfield wants to come to us and they can get there hands on our 2019 1st (as part of the package) to help them land Green who is a projected top 5 pick.

Hutchy's come a ways, hasn't he?

Gone are the days of being bullied by Sam Newman and delivering 'Damien Barrett type scoops' via any contact he had.
Hutch is succeeding in the game of muck raking. The prime requisites include traits such as being a pest that won’t give up, having a dodgy moral compass and being ok with stepping on others heads to gain a tidbit for the weekly dialogue. Yep he’s certainly taken the next step in the game....cause he’s an almighty flog.

Only way I can see GWS parting with Cogs and Whitfield to Hawks in the one season is if they know Whitfield wants to come to us and they can get there hands on our 2019 1st (as part of the package) to help them land Green who is a projected top 5 pick.

They don’t want our pick to land Green. They want our pick so they can get someone else AND land Green. Just as we’re ALMOST CERTAIN to trade our 2nd round pick so we can get someone AND Macguiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bingo.

They made great currency from Shiel, they’ll want similar from whitfield.

No way. Let’s not make out like getting two first round picks for a FA is a bad deal for the Giants.
They can't let Cogs, Patton and Whitfield all walk to one club in one trade period. Serious questions would be asked of their list management.

To be fair, Whitfield is a top 10 player in the comp. I just can't see it.

They can't let Cogs, Patton and Whitfield all walk to one club in one trade period. Serious questions would be asked of their list management.

To be fair, Whitfield is a top 10 player in the comp. I just can't see it.
They won’t be letting them walk though.

They’ll get more than adequate compensation for Whitfield and Patton, and Coniglio would land them a first also.

3 first round picks is not something to sneeze at.

Im with Abasi on this one. Lets be honest Patton is a huge risk and we are doing the Giants a favour salary dump wise (we will also probably pay overs if we know we are getting COGS as a FA as good faith). Coniglio walks as a FA and they get compensated with a priority pick and if we happen to get Whitfield also we will likely cough up 2 first rounders. End of the day the Giants walk away with potentially 3 first rounders and perhaps a 2nd rounder for Patton as well as a big salary dump.

I think the Giants would much rather go all out to win at least 1 flag than salary cap dump every season, which they could be doing forever at this stage with the amount of talent on there list. They still have no flag if they lose one first rd pick going for a flag next season big deal.

Ps I hear we have 2 players secured, 3 would be a gold mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back