Hawthorn make $3.4 mill profit

Remove this Banner Ad

Winning a dozen flags in a tick over half a century is probably the greatest contribution Hawthorn has made towards its constituency

How has Fremantle fared in this rather noble pursuit?
Do you still call yourselves the family club, while operating pokies?

Let's just be open about where the money comes from. The whole idea behind my post was to find out about all the good work hawthorn FC was doing but all I have gotten back is an attitude of damn the costs, give us the cash.

Let's just be open about where the money comes from. The whole idea behind my post was to find out about all the good work hawthorn FC was doing but all I have gotten back is an attitude of damn the costs, give us the cash.

Why wouldn't you just read the report to find the answers?

(Of course we know you're just trying to have a subtle troll)

Anyway, I help you out:
"The Club supported a variety of charitable organisations in 2014, providing match-day experiences, fundraising
initiatives and awareness campaigns to help spread their messages. This year’s charities included; Starlight Children’s
Foundation (joint major charity partner), Beyondblue (joint major charity partner), Give Me 5 For Kids.
Cancer Council Tasmania, Beacon Foundation, Step Back Think, Zaidee’s Rainbow Foundation, Kokoda Track
Foundation, Victoria Police Blue Ribbon Foundation and Cystic Fibrosis Victoria.
Relationships with major charity partners Beyondblue and Starlight continue to develop. Our partnership with
Beyondblue is into its ninth year as we work together to reduce the stigma associated with anxiety and depression.
Our association with Starlight is gathering momentum particularly among the playing group with frequent hospital visits
and awareness campaigns to raise money for children and families in need. The Club’s Hawks Heroes membership
program delivered 193 junior memberships to disadvantaged children associated with Starlight.
Community Programs in Melbourne, Tasmania and the Northern Territory are growing stronger with ‘Hawks in
Schools’ in Victoria continuing to spread the Healthy Eating, Healthy Living message across 16 schools delivered in
conjunction with Sports Education and Development Australia. The Club continues to work closely with the Tasmanian
Government to deliver meaningful and effective programs across Tasmania including Community Camps, Tassie
Hawks Cup / Netball Shield and a re-structured Tassie Hawks in Schools program run in conjunction with Move Well
Eat Well.
Our Indigenous Partnerships Program with the region of Katherine in the Northern Territory has continued to grow,
with players and staff again visiting the area in 2014 to engage with local children and schools to deliver healthy and
active lifestyle messages. The Club also welcomed eight children and two carers from Ngukurr (a remote community
320 kilometres east of Katherine) to Melbourne for a six day cultural exchange experience in conjunction with
Hawthorn Auskick."

Tell us where Freo's funding comes from.

I hear the drug racket in Perth has some "sources".

That's a dangerous topic to be bringing up in what I thought was a diplomatic chat so far.

Don't take the higher moral ground, mate.
You were obviously trolling.

Tell us how great your club is and let us know where the funds are sourced.

Don't take the higher moral ground, mate.
You were obviously trolling.

Tell us how great your club is and let us know where the funds are sourced.
I wasn't bring up drugs was I? I was mentioning the millions of dollars made from your pokies, far beyond the profit from this report and that perhaps the effect of those might not be worth what they bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't bring up drugs was I? I was mentioning the millions of dollars made from your pokies, far beyond the profit from this report and that perhaps the effect of those might not be worth what they bring.

you might consider becoming a Norf supporter mate.
This is the way they roll, since they ****ed up the docklands venue.

Last edited:

There's some info on our website about some of the good work that the Hawks do in the community:
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/club/community

We have another thread going about the moral pros/cons of poker machine venues. Can't stand them myself, but this thread was specifically about our latest annual financial result.

I don't think this is correct. We made 3.4 m profit (which is not the same as saying we made 3.4 m cash).

Our cash made figure would be different. From that cash we made (plus any we already had on hand) we slashed debt by 4 m, and put another 0.5 into our foundation fund.

Sounds good that Caroline Springs debt will be down to 4m at end of year, easily manageable with our profit levels (in a good place to now borrow more for our new super-hyper-mega-ultra training facility).

Question: Does anyone know off hand what the mission statement is for the Hawthorn Foundation? I assume it would be heavily tapped for our soon to be new training facility.

A beautiful set of numbers.

There's some info on pages 8 & 9 of the Annual Report about the Foundation.

For those normal people who aren't into reading financial reports...
We still had total bank debt of $9.24m at 31/10/14 on the Caroline Springs venture. The football club itself had next to no debt - about $100k.
Combined operating result from the consolidated entity attributable to the club was actually $4.7m, of which $3.4m was made by the club itself.
The club itself had Cash at Bank of $7.4m at 31/10/14, with a further $6.3m invested in Term Deposits & Managed Funds.
Net Cash generated by the football club for the year (before financing and investing activities) was $4.5m.

Agree that it's a pretty healthy set of numbers (in my humble opinion). A far cry from what our financial position looked like in the mid 1990's!!!

There's some info on pages 8 & 9 of the Annual Report about the Foundation.

For those normal people who aren't into reading financial reports...
We still had total bank debt of $9.24m at 31/10/14 on the Caroline Springs venture. The football club itself had next to no debt - about $100k.
Combined operating result from the consolidated entity attributable to the club was actually $4.7m, of which $3.4m was made by the club itself.
The club itself had Cash at Bank of $7.4m at 31/10/14, with a further $6.3m invested in Term Deposits & Managed Funds.
Net Cash generated by the football club for the year (before financing and investing activities) was $4.5m.

Agree that it's a pretty healthy set of numbers (in my humble opinion). A far cry from what our financial position looked like in the mid 1990's!!!

The coverups at the Annual General Meetings around 1994, 1995 were wonders to experience. Hence I never really trust annual reports...

Don't CUB sponsor the Dockers? - alcohol is by far the biggest problem in our community.
And don't forget WPL polluting the world with green house gases.

We still made profits under Dicker and despite the rubbish on the field (and Schwab basically finished with a 50/50 win loss record across 100 or so games) we were continuously amongst the top 3/4 Victorian clubs for membership

Dicker, I would argue, probably had just as much reason as Kennett and Newbold (if not more) for our current success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back