Crimmins
Birchall
Parkin
Salmon
Allan
Greene
Gunston
geoff ablett

wouldnt have Gunston in there yet, Croad was pretty damn good as well from the relatively recent players... does 08 count as recent still?

About being too many current players, if we win b2b2b then it will be the best Hawthorn side eva so would expect significant representation in the top 50.

Too heavy on current players. 10 of 50 are current AFL players? Really?
This kind of thread is always going to be heavily weighted to current players. There are only a handful of posters who are old enough that could legitimately do this kind of list.

It's a near impossible task.

Matthews
Arthur
Hudson
Dunstall
Knights
Tuck
Ayres
Brereton
Platten
Hodge
Mew
Moore
Dippierdomenico
Langford
Franklin
Buckernara
Scott
Edwards
Mitchell
Crawford
Jarman
Burgoyne
Bohen
Mills
Roughead
Symonds
Law
Rioli
Austin
Collins
Wallace
Pritchard
Peck
Moncrieff
Lewis
Kennedy Jnr
Eade
Gibson
Bremner
Kennedy snr
Keddie
Crimmins
Birchall
Parkin
Salmon
Allan
Greene
Gunston
geoff ablett

Can't place Symonds - guess you mean Roy Simmonds

Will come with my thoughts later:)

Too heavy on current players. 10 of 50 are current AFL players? Really?

aside from gunston (i think he when finished will be remembered as an excellent player) and perhaps birchall all the others should be in…all bar gibson 3 time flag players and potentially going for more….we were garbage from 1925 to 1960 hence the majority of our best players will be in the last 54 years

who should be out for whom?

Matthews
Arthur
Hudson
Dunstall
Knights
Tuck
Ayres
Brereton
Platten
Hodge
Mew
Moore
Dippierdomenico
Langford
Franklin
Buckernara
Scott
Edwards
Mitchell
Crawford
Jarman
Burgoyne
Bohen
Mills
Roughead
Symonds
Law
Rioli
Austin
Collins
Wallace
Pritchard
Peck
Moncrieff
Lewis
Kennedy Jnr
Eade
Gibson
Bremner
Kennedy snr
Keddie
Crimmins
Birchall
Parkin
Salmon
Allan
Greene
Gunston
geoff ablett

Not a bad selection, you could argue for most of them being on the list. I suspect you were scratching around for the last few to get to the 50 mark though. ;)

You say it's 'all-time' yet you leave out Alec Albiston & Ern Utting? Ted Pool pretty unlucky also.

If you insist on naming names, without worrying too much about order, I'd go In: Above 3. Out: Bremner, Gunston, Keddie. All great and close to it, but not top 50.

^^^^apologies there is 52 listed there in my original list

i agree removing the 3 you mention and add the 1 in Albiston..perhaps remove geoff ablett and add Pool

revised list of 50

Matthews
Arthur
Hudson
Dunstall
Knights
Tuck
Ayres
Brereton
Platten
Hodge
Mew
Moore
Dippierdomenico
Langford
Franklin
Buckernara
Scott
Edwards
Mitchell
Crawford
Jarman
Burgoyne
Bohen
Mills
Roughead
Simmonds
Law
Rioli
Austin
Collins
Wallace
Pritchard
Albitson
Peck
Moncrieff
Lewis
Kennedy Jnr
Eade
Gibson
Kennedy snr
Crimmins
Birchall
Pool
Parkin
Salmon
Allan
Greene

Apologies to: Bremner Keddie Condon Utting Gunston Geoff Ablett

Last edited:
^^well said procrastinator Keddie back in the top 50 but who comes out from list of 50 remembering Utting isn't in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I'm contemplating this topic I think that there is a subtle difference between 'The Best 50 Players to play for Hawthorn' and 'Hawthorn's Best 50'. The former is more purely about how good a player is, the latter includes concepts like 'service' and 'achievements'. Personally I'm only interested in the latter.

I probably place a greater emphasis on games played as well. (Possibly unfair on the earlier players).

Anyway by my criteria I agree with some of Procrastinators points above Keddie and Hendrie should be in. Utting out. Again using how I judge Salmon and Allan wouldn't make it. Maybe not Gibson or Burgoyne either - Bremner and Ablett back in? Other players that I'd consider would be Jencke, Condon, O'Halloran and Russo.

Last edited:
revised top 50

Matthews
Arthur
Hudson
Dunstall
Knights
Tuck
Ayres
Brereton
Platten
Hodge
Mew
Moore
Dippierdomenico
Langford
Franklin
Buckernara
Scott
Edwards
Mitchell
Crawford
Jarman
Burgoyne
Bohen
Mills
Roughead
Simmonds
Law
Rioli
Austen
Collins
Wallace
Pritchard
Hendrie
Keddie
Albitson
Peck
Moncrieff
Lewis
Kennedy Jnr
Eade
Gibson
Kennedy snr
Crimmins
Birchall
Pool
Parkin
Salmon
Left out, arguments for being in and honourable mentions: Allan Greene Condon Bremner Geoff Ablett Jencke Gunston Utting Schwab Bruest Robinson O halloran Russo

Last edited:
Can't place Symonds - guess you mean Roy Simmonds

Will come with my thoughts later:)

One of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. Was a regular visitor to our home in Hawthon.
He would spark up a room when he entered, as he always had the broadest smile on his face. However on the field he was as hard at it as anyone.
Good entertainer to with a banjo in his hands.

We are light on for ruckmen but the big fish did make our TOTC

Mills, Kennedy snr & Scott are ample....Salmon won 2 B & F in a very ordinary side!....There was also the added motive of giving the 'bird' to the 'filth'!

Nice bloke, but top 50?....yeah... nah!

Based on the name alone, Randall Bone(r) needs to be added to this list

An altogether different fred entirely>

Bob Keddie is a 2x Best & Fairest winner in a time when Huddo was at his peak....He is also a Premiership deciding hero....Utting only just played over 100 games & in a very poor side winning 2x B & F

Keddie easily!
Good points - although to be picky Huddo was only just getting going when Keddie won his first one.

Also Utting was named in the best players by The Age in 74 of his 101 games. That's a better strike rate than Lethal. Keddie was named in the best players 55/132.

But it's pointless worrying about the last places in a list this long. Great club, just SO many great players.

Mills, Kennedy snr & Scott are ample....Salmon won 2 B & F in a very ordinary side!....There was also the added motive of giving the 'bird' to the 'filth'!

Nice bloke, but top 50?....yeah... nah!

An altogether different fred entirely>

Probably a fair point. I suppose Salmon made our TOTC on the basis that Kennedy Snr couldn't be 2nd ruck and coach (unless he was captain coach?)

Did Darren Jarman and Ben Allan play enough football for Hawthorn to be considered?

allan played 97 of his 145 games at hawthorn and was best and fairest in 91 flag year

jarman played over 100 games at hawthorn and only 20 more at adelaide...check his record had some amazing and some of his best seasons at hawthorn

all of franklin allan jarman burgoyne and salmon (who played 100 games and some of his best seasons in career at hawthorn) qualify only lake has missed
out for not enough hawk games

perhaps greene who also falls into the category could replace allan as more worthy

I wouldn't have a clue of listing these in order, but will put in my 2 cents worth anyway.

Trifecta for 1,2&3.

Lethal, Huddo, and Knights. All from around the same time, so you know how lucky Hawk supporters were at the time.

Lethal, arguably the best (not fairest, but the best rarely is) to ever play the game.

Peter Hudson, averaged 5.6 goals over a career of 129 games. Arguably, the best full forward ever.

Peter Knights, the most entertaining footballer ever to lace op footy boots. My personal number 1. Arguably the most consistantly taker of spectactular marks ever to play.

Others, lesser know, but equally as important.
Ian Mort, a HFF who put fear into the toughest HBF, was always a favourite of mine. Probably because we went to the same school.

I had a special love for HFFs, and there were few better than Bob Keddie, and John Hendrie, unless you fast forward to Jarman. We also had one we called the freak, long before you Stevie J. And he was doing things then, that Darcy, and Lind accredit to you. Poor bastards didn't do their research.

Graham Arthur, great man, great captain, and one of the best ever.

Brendon Edwards, instrumental, along with others, in our first flag in '61.

These are just a few names of great Hawthorn players who, I love and respect, and are just part of the many building blocks that have made us the most successful club of the modern era.

Back to the OP. Sorry, I can't list our best 50 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back