Streaming [HBO] True Detective

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem I had with the ending was Billy Lee Tuttle felt like the real evil character who was one of the key drivers behind the whole conspiracy they'd been hinting at, but then he unceremoniously died off camera in a most anti-climactic way.

So then by the time they went after the scarred man it just felt like tying off a loose end by killing a relatively inconsequential henchman. He may have been the one doing the dirty work but his character lacked the foreboding gravitas of the higher ups who were organising the whole thing.

Just felt a bit backwards to me. Like a Bond movie where the main bad guy dies three quarters of the way through leaving the fight with his bodyguard as the climax.

Calling him a henchman is a little bit throwaway, he was clearly involved in more murders than just the ritualistic ones that Tuttle was overseeing (he was at the meth house with the Ledouxs as the girl that surived recounted). He wasn't a bit part player, he just had people in high places watching his back for a long time.

Also the show played on expectations in many ways, it clearly established that Tuttle was a shady character, but he was one of many. It gave the hint that it was a wide-reaching conspiracy, but instead of giving the expected resolution of outing everyone and bringing them all down, it left just how many people between Childress and Tuttle were involved open to interpretation. Your Bond comparison is pretty spot on from that standpoint, it would be a nice change to for once see something similar to that, as opposed to the established formula. Much of what made True Detective work so well was just how different it was.

Yeah I get that, you're right, but I was referring to how the specific scene was so tense watching them creep further into the spider's lair as he coaxed them closer, thought he'd at least have a decent trap set for them, but the best he could do was rush Cole crazily with his hatchet, was just a let down.

I guess I saw it as more of a he never expected anyone to come looking for him sort of thing, so he just coaxed them inside hoping to surprise them there in what he appeared to have made his 'throne room'.

Are the last three episodes still just as s**t, the second time round?
Has there ever been another show where the audience has been so angered/disappointed that the conclusion was not just an hour of spoon-feeding?

I mean, we all know Tuttle and random members of the police force, teachers, preachers were part of the cult, so...?

The main focus was always Rust and Marty anyway.

TD's is better IMO. Still both amazing though. Best ever is from Soy Cuba.

It was made in 1964 remember.

Haven't seen that before, that is an amazing piece of footage.

FWIW the six minute tracking shot in DT had a couple of cop outs, such as when midway through, the camera operator looks up at a helicoptor and then comes back down again. Their is a very brief moment when the entire image is black. Very easy to rest and keep going as if it was the one take..

Very much enjoyed TD, although it doesn't really bear too much thinking to plot holes.

Was Fargo's tracking scene better than True Detective's?

TDs for mine. Remember watching it for this first time, was up to the part where the shooting starts before I clicked that it had been the same shot since they entered the house. As good as the shot is overall, that first half is where its at. Everything going haywire in slow motion, so tense. Just insane tv.

FWIW the six minute tracking shot in DT had a couple of cop outs, such as when midway through, the camera operator looks up at a helicoptor and then comes back down again. Their is a very brief moment when the entire image is black. Very easy to rest and keep going as if it was the one take..

Yeah you're right, but they didn't end up using them - read an article on it, said they built in a few edit points as insurance (the pan up to the helicopter was one, think the other might have been the move through the wall of the house where the black guys are arming up). But they ended up nailing it on the day, its definitely one shot.

I'm a bit over Moss - Vince would make an interesting baddy though. They should cast Vincent D'Onofrio as his evil twin too!

Moss just seems a bit obvious as a casting choice too. Would be disappointed if they went that route.

P.S. How ******* titts is the sound track to this whole affair. I'm loving "Lungs" by Townes Van Zandt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also check out this film Sin Nombre, but the same director.

Ignore the awful voiceover.

Interesting bit of plot speculation from that link....

I love the sound of it personally but I've seen interviews with NP where he says speculation is all fiction, I mean obviously he's going to say that but he reckons he's only shared minor details with two or three people involved in the project.

I am a little over the whole casting guessing game despite my ^ post....in the end whoever gets it is probably never going to match what we saw these two do in Season 1.

it will never live up to die hard fans expectations because they have overated it too such a point it is impossible to match it. The show was extreemly good but some of the over-the-top hype is ridiculous.

I really enjoyed the series but did find the last 3 or so episodes did not match the first half of the season.

Other than the punches thrown being taken straight out of WWF!

The World Wildlife Fund? So that's how that panda got that black eye.

It's depressing seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman in the current ads for a most wanted man and knowing it's one of the last films we will see showcasing this man's extraordinary talent. Can't help but think how he would have gone in a show like true det; if anyone's seen the Ides of March, you know that this is a guy that can do jaded and 'burnt out' like no other. Then you see him in a movie like Before the devil knows your dead and his energy is just on another level.

I would have dug seeing PSH on the case of a murderous satanic cult. The man wouldnt have even needed a sidekick, just give him a badge and a gun and people would be saying Rust who?

Rip.

If Vince Vaughan get the job we riot.
Just gonna post this here.
Failure_to_Launch.jpg

Just gonna post this here.
Failure_to_Launch.jpg

True but McCon had been making decent movies for at least 3 years before this. Vaughan has been wallowing in filth for quite a while now. Then again maybe he's still money and doesn't even know it.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/true-detective-season-two-female-lead?mbid=social_facebook

Gotta say they are going to have to go pretty hard if they want a chance of topping the first season.
If it wasn't with HBO i'd say they had very little hope of even getting close.

Pizzolatto & HBO deny plagiarism claims...
I'd have to agree with this statement by Pizzolatto...

"Nothing in the television show True Detective was plagiarized," said Pizzolatto. "The philosophical thoughts expressed by Rust Cohle do not represent any thought or idea unique to any one author; rather these are the philosophical tenets of a pessimistic, anti-natalist philosophy with an historic tradition including Arthur Schopenauer, Friedrich Nietzche, E.M. Cioran, and various other philosophers, all of whom express these ideas. As an autodidact pessimist, Cohle speaks toward that philosophy with erudition and in his own words. The ideas within this philosophy are certainly not exclusive to any writer."

Having read the first two pretty deeply, I can say that the HBO response is pretty spot on:
True Detective is a work of exceptional originality and the story, plot, characters and dialogue are that of Nic Pizzolatto," reads the statement. "Philosophical concepts are free for anyone to use, including writers of fiction, and there have been many such examples in the past. Exploring and engaging with ideas and themes that philosophers and novelists have wrestled with over time is one of the show's many strengths — we stand by the show, its writing and Nic Pizzolatto entirely."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...hr/columns+(The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Columns)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back