Streaming [HBO] True Detective

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the writing in that ep.....trying to be far too clever.

And Vince Vaughan, well emotion other than stoic frustrated anger from time to time might be an idea.

Yeah I'm enjoying the series but there's multiple laugh-out-loud bad lines every episode, from e-cig commentary to "never had a ******* cavity" lulz

There was a recent thread on 4chan where they tried to write lines Frank would say in the show, some amusing entries:

"If you want to get away, don't fasten the seatbelts"
"You can't tap dance if you're wearing soft shoes. That's been the case since the dawn of time."
"I'm so up to my neck in s**t, I'm thinking about ordering a snorkel."
"Spare me the sententious talk. It's picayune and unctious."
"Lately I'm feeling like my head is someone else's head. Like I can ******* see myself from above, that's how high the stakes are, and this horse gets farther from the goal with each second...so stop ******* betting"
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving."
"Sometimes it's not the milk that's bad, it's the cereal."

Haha its like the conversation Vaugn and Farrell had during ep 2 I think, Vaughn used a word that no one has used in the last 50 years.

I look forward to the flashback scene of Frank doing his phd in english literature at Yale.

See I don't mind Frank's vocabulary as much as other people have made out, to me it fits the character of a gangster type trying (too hard) to go "legitimate". It's a deliberate facade he's putting on and it slips at times- this doesn't mean VV is a bad actor, or the writing is s**t. You don't have to be so louche about it ;)

Done Ep 3 last night?

Avoiding reading this thread and spoilers, does it get any better? Boring as bat shot atm and wat the hell is Vince Vaughan...good grief.
Come back when you've watched 4

I like how people praise the 'slow burn' and think that's what puts this series above the rest, yet they cite the shootouts in S1 and S2 as the best scenes.

That's kind of the point with the slow burn shows, when the big moments happen they really stand out and make you take notice.

I'm enjoying the series to a degree. But lots of style of substance for mine.

A good couple of steps down from the first season, I'm feeling.

Basically this.

As a stand alone show its decent, but comparing it to season 1, its just a different beast.

Enjoying it, but its further down my list of shows to watch than last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That neighborhood constinous shot in S01 was one of the greatest scenes in Tv history IMO.

I love a good tracking shot. There's that amazing one in that film adaptation of the Ian McEwan book.

I love a good tracking shot. There's that amazing one in that film adaptation of the Ian McEwan book.

Attonement....I have watched that a dozen times...it is like watching a painting come to life. Awesome film overall as well....scorches 'campaigner' onto the memory banks that's for sure.

Four episodes in and I have some issues with the story and the execution. For me the story seems overly complex and the content is such that it is not really inspiring me to get into it. Not really handling the individual storylines as it should. Maybe was a reach focusing on four main characters.
I really like the look of the show with the seediness of LA really coming through the screen. I'm finding the main characters pretty interesting despite all the issues i have with the direction and story.

Four episodes in and I have some issues with the story and the execution. For me the story seems overly complex and the content is such that it is not really inspiring me to get into it. Not really handling the individual storylines as it should. Maybe was a reach focusing on four main characters.
I really like the look of the show with the seediness of LA really coming through the screen. I'm finding the main characters pretty interesting despite all the issues i have with the direction and story.

I visited Hollywood in 1992 and 2011...the joint is a ******* disgrace as is much of LA outside of the pockets of obvious wealth.

I visited Hollywood in 1992 and 2011...the joint is a ******* disgrace as is much of LA outside of the pockets of obvious wealth.
That's pretty much true of any mega metropolis such as New York although it's supposedly cleaned up its act since the 80s where according to movies like 'A Most Violent Year' criminals practically ran and controlled the city with impunity.

A lot of negativity here. Look its not last season but i'm liking it.

I'm enjoying better than the first season but then again I'm always partial for movies/shows based in or around LA.

That's pretty much true of any mega metropolis such as New York although it's supposedly cleaned up its act since the 80s where according to movies like 'A Most Violent Year' criminals practically ran and controlled the city with impunity.

I'm enjoying better than the first season but then again I'm always partial for movies/shows based in or around LA.

All well and true, but L.A certainly comes through on TV as a glammed up city, and to visit it, well in most cases its the opposite.

Great final scene that had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. When Deadwood Dan took one to the head, I realised things had just gotten real. But the best thing was seeing the anguish on the faces of the 3 survivors as they realised the absolute horror of the situation. That's gonna haunt them.

The fact that the chief of Police questioned whether they needed so many people and the mayor told them to be safe might suggest that they knew something was going down, but to what end?

But that last 10 minutes doesn't negate how boring the rest of the season has been so far. I mean, I get slow-burn drama. I love it when done right, but this just hasn't been. It's all well and good to have complex plots that only tie together at the end of the season, but each episode still needs to be enjoyable on its own merits. Undoubtedly the second half will be better than the first 4 episodes, but it just hasn't come anywhere close to the first season.

I'm really enjoying the three leads though and although Vince Vaughan's character isn't as compelling, I don't hate his story like some here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back