Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly how I felt.

Was good but as someone who has completely the game several times it was very much carbon copy sort of stuff.

The parts I enjoyed most were ones we didn’t really see in the game.

Also think the supposed strong relationship between Ellie and Joel was just implied rather than being demonstrated by the end.

In the game there was far more depth to their relationship leading up to Joel saving her.

Felt a bit rushed and short.

This is exactly wat I was attempting to say above and the game could have been on an Atari for all I know

The billions of infected are zombies. As far as we know they are creatures of instinct. How long before they starve? Realistically we are looking at days or weeks, not the decades since the apocalypse.

Whereas the survivors form communities that can cooperate to defend themselves and farm for food.
Not necessarily. Humans need to eat regularly/constantly, because we are warm blooded, and need the energy in food to maintain our body temperature.

Cold blooded animals, such as reptiles, can go for many months without eating.

We're told that Cordyceps replaces the body's muscles & organs, so there's no real reason to think that infected continue to operate as warm blooded mammals. Infected are basically a mobile form of fungus, not a warm blooded mammal, so their ability to survive for long periods without feeding is not as unreasonable as you might think.

We've even seen them spending most of their time lying on the ground (think ep 2), connected to each other via mycelial network. It's not unreasonable that they would also be obtaining nutrients through the same mycelial network, the bulk of which exists underground.

Just watched ep 3 …brilliant tv.
I had no inkling of this show at all ..only now realised it was based on a game. No idea Nick Offerman was going to be in it. Terrific.

The other thing about this show that brings a tear to the eye is that the world ends in ‘03 …as a Bomber fan that’s overwhelming

Great last episode

They got the key scenes in from the game though

Ends very abruptly though

Bring on season 2!
I thought it was the perfect moment to end it on.
Re-emphasised here that I knew nothing of the Game and I found it a great tale. Still think Episode 3 was the best and will bring home the Emmys later this year.

Not sure on that finale. The shift to likeable pseudo Dad felt rushed this episode.
That was the entire character arc from episode 1.

Not necessarily. Humans need to eat regularly/constantly, because we are warm blooded, and need the energy in food to maintain our body temperature.

Cold blooded animals, such as reptiles, can go for many months without eating.

We're told that Cordyceps replaces the body's muscles & organs, so there's no real reason to think that infected continue to operate as warm blooded mammals. Infected are basically a mobile form of fungus, not a warm blooded mammal, so their ability to survive for long periods without feeding is not as unreasonable as you might think.

We've even seen them spending most of their time lying on the ground (think ep 2), connected to each other via mycelial network. It's not unreasonable that they would also be obtaining nutrients through the same mycelial network, the bulk of which exists underground.
I half remember a line in an early episode that said a human infected by cordiceps have a relatively short lifespan.

Yeah that was brutal, hard to watch. Definitely felt more 'justified' to me somehow in the game. From memory in the game you kinda think its not 100% that they'll achieve a cure by killing her, although Druckmann clarified later that this actually was the case I believe.

Are people here still on team Joel after that? I remember reading a lot of comments after the game came out about not realising you were playing as the villain of the story the whole time. I probably wouldn't quite go that far but its an interesting discussion.
Going to pull a 'death of the author' on this one. The show didn't do much to convince me that the 'cure' was plausible, least of all ethical.

Had no issues with Joel's actions even if his reasoning was selfish. Every single person he killed was complicit in the murder of a child. I thought the final twist was going to be that Ellie consented but they did a wishy-washy 'what would she want' explanation. Like idk, maybe you should have asked her before attempting to kill her. In that way I don't think Joel was being made out to be the outright villain.

Enjoyed the season but last couple of eps were a little tame.

Just in ep 6 if Joel now tells Tommy why Ellie is so special why would there be the choice of either Tommy or Joel accompanying Ellie? If she’s that important why not send both or a small posse?

Enjoyed the season but last couple of eps were a little tame.

Just in ep 6 if Joel now tells Tommy why Ellie is so special why would there be the choice of either Tommy or Joel accompanying Ellie? If she’s that important why not send both or a small posse?
The point was that Joel was starting to love Ellie like a daughter and he was terrified of losing her in the same way he lost Sarah. He wanted Tommy to relieve him of that burden.

The point was that Joel was starting to love Ellie like a daughter and he was terrified of losing her in the same way he lost Sarah. He wanted Tommy to relieve him of that burden.
Understand that but what I’m saying is that Ellie is vital to finding a cure, the hospital is not far from Tommy’s complex so why not send a small posse of people on horseback to get her there safely?

Understand that but what I’m saying is that Ellie is vital to finding a cure, the hospital is not far from Tommy’s complex so why not send a small posse of people on horseback to get her there safely?
The whole town were pretty insular and untrusting. There's a chance they just shoot her on the spot if they found out she was bitten. Call it a contrivance if you like but it would undermine the main conceit of the story.

The whole town were pretty insular and untrusting. There's a chance they just shoot her on the spot if they found out she was bitten. Call it a contrivance if you like but it would undermine the main conceit of the story.
Yep Joel was pretty consistent in his rationale not to let anyone else know she'd been bitten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great finale to end a great season of TV, I was stoked they included my favourite scene from the game (giraffe scene)

The shooting spree at the end really did take on a way darker tone this time around, really puts Joel in a different light

Thought the show respected the game really well whilst having enough of it's own thing to stand on it's own

Just reading back through the thread, have to lol at some of the comments re the Frank episode and the mall episode. Perhaps this show isn't for you, Fast X might be more your kinda deal :sweatsmile:

Tommy also had a baby on the way - not sure he’s risking his life when he’s in a relatively safe place too.

Tommy also had a baby on the way - not sure he’s risking his life when he’s in a relatively safe place too.
He’d already decided to go. Only Joel changing his mind at last minute stopped him.

Randomly scrolling PlayStation and saw the game at $12.47 figured I'd purchase it and see how it stacks up

Having watched the series I might have cheat codes 😁
Up until you meet your first clicker.

Nothing on the show even comes close to the gaming experience. Pls update us when you hit those mo fugger sewers.
5 jump scares already for my friend and we've just being introduced to Tess 😂

5 jump scares already for my friend and we've just being introduced to Tess 😂

414999350_320919907572924_192145438315907932_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back