Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess one thing they could do would be to clear whole sections of towns or even cities and know that worst case an infected might get in but won't spread it further. Remember how Tess got that welcome kiss by the fungus dude? No more of those shenanigans.

I thought they nailed the ending. I don’t think it felt rushed like some people said as I think it made sense for Joel to seize an opportunity and then go blind mad basically to stop a repeat of losing another “daughter”. His trauma from that moment twenty years ago fuelled his emotions.

People are also missing the point. The abrupt ending is exactly what happened in the game and was the reason, for me, that elevated the game to incredible.

The idea of her purpose in life being taken away by someone she cares about is deeply upsetting hence she decides to try and accept his lie
because she loves Joel and he's admitting he needs her, and if she believes that he did the right things, then she can forgive him.

That’s brilliant writing.

I guess one thing they could do would be to clear whole sections of towns or even cities and know that worst case an infected might get in but won't spread it further. Remember how Tess got that welcome kiss by the fungus dude? No more of those shenanigans.
Yep, I guess you could say the cure could be a key to a very slow process of reclamation rather than the flip of a switch.

Yep, I guess you could say the cure could be a key to a very slow process of reclamation rather than the flip of a switch.

You would still have billions of infected around to deal with. The survivors would finally have to stop fighting with each other over the limited resources to overcome that problem. They are severely outnumbered so without a totally unified effort it would be impossible, probably is either way.

Absolutely loved it. A great ride and despite me suggesting I thought it was great how compacted it is compared to TWD, for instance, I think I could have appreciated stretching some of this season out further. By doing that I don't think it would have made it feel slower etc.

Not sure on that finale. The shift to likeable pseudo Dad felt rushed this episode.

Joel's entire time with Ellie has been about not wanting to let his emotions run wild. He consistently refused to allow her to become anything more than a human he was helping to get to a location. For me, this all changed around the time she refused to stay with Tommy, and of course, in the penultimate episode finishing with the “It's OK, baby girl. I've got you. I've got you" - this was the emotional flood gates opening and Joel accepting that he is now 100% responsible for her and happy to accept her as perhaps some sort of replacement for Sarah.

So by the time the finale rolls around, his behaviour is not at all surprising to me.

Would it though?

Been thinking about that since the finale, never really considered it after playing the game for some reason. But say they operate on Ellie and it was all successful, they can now synthesize a cure - how much difference would it actually make?

Yeah you can now cure bitten people (if you happen to get to them in time before they become violent), and start immunising people so that just getting bitten isn't an automatic death sentence any more... but you've still got a huge population of infected who usually kill people by just ripping them apart. I assume you can't inject infected and they just return to being a normal human, the fungus has already kinda hollowed out their brain.

Thinking it through, I reckon it would be a relatively small % improvement in their lives rather than the savior of mankind it was kinda pitched as.

Initially the Cordyceps was in the food supply. That storyline seems to have disappeared. I guess the infected flour would have all been eaten. Although it could be a sneaky backdoor when people think they are safe. Imagine a quiet breakfast scene in a gated community cafe. The chef has grabbed an old packet of flour from the basement. Pancakes and maple syrup followed by mayhem!

Initially the Cordyceps was in the food supply. That storyline seems to have disappeared. I guess the infected flour would have all been eaten. Although it could be a sneaky backdoor when people think they are safe. Imagine a quiet breakfast scene in a gated community cafe. The chef has grabbed an old packet of flour from the basement. Pancakes and maple syrup followed by mayhem!
Much safer just to eat humans really.

You would still have billions of infected around to deal with. The survivors would finally have to stop fighting with each other over the limited resources to overcome that problem. They are severely outnumbered so without a totally unified effort it would be impossible, probably is either way.

The billions of infected are zombies. As far as we know they are creatures of instinct. How long before they starve? Realistically we are looking at days or weeks, not the decades since the apocalypse.

Whereas the survivors form communities that can cooperate to defend themselves and farm for food.

The billions of infected are zombies. As far as we know they are creatures of instinct. How long before they starve? Realistically we are looking at days or weeks, not the decades since the apocalypse.

Whereas the survivors form communities that can cooperate to defend themselves and farm for food.

Good point about the starvation that question has not been answered directly but all that is explained is that the infected evolve over time in the game, so it appears they dont or simply had enough to eat.

Runners are people who recently turned into infected. They are defined by their intense speed, sluggish attacks, and tendency to attack people in hordes.​
Stalkers are people who have been infected from somewhere between two weeks to a year. Per their name, they stalk and hide from prey in the dark and attack at opportune moments. Some also latch onto walls and allow the Cordyceps to fester, keeping the host alive until prey walks by, at which point the stalker breaks free and attacks.​
Clickers are people who have been infected for at least one year. The long time elapse has allowed the fungus to spread all over their bodies, blinding them and forcing them to use echolocation to find prey. However, the fungus has granted them enhanced strength, making them fearsome foes in close-quarters combat.​
Bloaters have been infected for several years. The fungus has led them to become slow and blind, yet incredibly strong and resilient with the fungal growth serving as armor plating. Bloaters can also tear fungus from their bodies to use as spore bombs and throw them at their enemies. However, this additional fungal growth makes them vulnerable to fire.​

As for the cooperation there is very little of that amongst the survivors, most of the that is because of the limited resources. Its not just infected you have to defend yourself against. If they felt they had a chance to wipe out the infected you imagine they would have tried that but there is just too many of them.

Good point about the starvation that question has not been answered directly but all that is explained is that the infected evolve over time in the game, so it appears they dont or simply had enough to eat.

Runners are people who recently turned into infected. They are defined by their intense speed, sluggish attacks, and tendency to attack people in hordes.​
Stalkers are people who have been infected from somewhere between two weeks to a year. Per their name, they stalk and hide from prey in the dark and attack at opportune moments. Some also latch onto walls and allow the Cordyceps to fester, keeping the host alive until prey walks by, at which point the stalker breaks free and attacks.​
Clickers are people who have been infected for at least one year. The long time elapse has allowed the fungus to spread all over their bodies, blinding them and forcing them to use echolocation to find prey. However, the fungus has granted them enhanced strength, making them fearsome foes in close-quarters combat.​
Bloaters have been infected for several years. The fungus has led them to become slow and blind, yet incredibly strong and resilient with the fungal growth serving as armor plating. Bloaters can also tear fungus from their bodies to use as spore bombs and throw them at their enemies. However, this additional fungal growth makes them vulnerable to fire.​

As for the cooperation there is very little of that amongst the survivors, most of the that is because of the limited resources. Its not just infected you have to defend yourself against. If they felt they had a chance to wipe out the infected you imagine they would have tried that but there is just too many of them.

I'm not interested in the game. It needs to be explained in the show.

Yep, they don't need to consume anything and don't starve. Don't think they've ever given a max life-span in the game or on the show but it'd be several years at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure that Joel explained the length of time the infected live earlier in the show. Some die after months but some can go on for years.

I don't think there's anyway that there are "billions" of infected and the show never indicates that.

The fact that in the swarm from the pit in KC that there was only one bloater would seem to indicate that most don't live that long.

I'm pretty sure that Joel explained the length of time the infected live earlier in the show. Some die after months but some can go on for years.

I don't think there's anyway that there are "billions" of infected and the show never indicates that.

The fact that in the swarm from the pit in KC that there was only one bloater would seem to indicate that most don't live that long.
Yeah and we're 20 years down the track now, so you wouldn't expect there to still be billions of infected out there surely

Absolutely loved it. A great ride and despite me suggesting I thought it was great how compacted it is compared to TWD, for instance, I think I could have appreciated stretching some of this season out further. By doing that I don't think it would have made it feel slower etc.

Joel's entire time with Ellie has been about not wanting to let his emotions run wild. He consistently refused to allow her to become anything more than a human he was helping to get to a location. For me, this all changed around the time she refused to stay with Tommy, and of course, in the penultimate episode finishing with the “It's OK, baby girl. I've got you. I've got you" - this was the emotional flood gates opening and Joel accepting that he is now 100% responsible for her and happy to accept her as perhaps some sort of replacement for Sarah.

So by the time the finale rolls around, his behaviour is not at all surprising to me.
It’s still not quite there though imo

So I saw a theory online someone had, which I am trying to figure out if it’s meant to be comedy or not.

”I mean at least try something, capture an infected and make it bite a pregnant woman, just to try”

What came before that quote is Ellie is immune but does Ellie become immune because her mother was bitten just as she was about to give birth? Pretty wacky. 😂
Someone had been watching Blade

My recollection was that it was early, maybe episode 2, in a discussion with Ellie.

Ok thanks. The episodes are worth a rewatch anyway.

Zombies surviving for months or even 20 years still seems unrealistic though. I liked that the show started off with quite plausible science. It would be good if they could maintain some credible explanations of how the infection (and immunity) works.

Ok thanks. The episodes are worth a rewatch anyway.

Zombies surviving for months or even 20 years still seems unrealistic though. I liked that the show started off with quite plausible science. It would be good if they could maintain some credible explanations of how the infection (and immunity) works.
concur, with my limited understanding of cordyceps. i thought the insect it infects eventually dies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back