Heathcote District FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that has everyone scratching their head...
Huntley have to be in the same boat as the other bendigo sides, didnt they not have 17s at all a few years ago. Wonder if changes at a board and afl central vic level might see a different outcome if it was lookec at again

Huntley have to be in the same boat as the other bendigo sides, didnt they not have 17s at all a few years ago. Wonder if changes at a board and afl central vic level might see a different outcome if it was lookec at again

The clubs that voted yes for under 18’s requested the HDFNL board and AFLCentralvic to step in as HDFNL are the only league in the region that remain under 17.
Both organisations stated it wasn’t their place to interfere...
I know LVFNL clubs are rubbing their hands together as a result!

The clubs that voted yes for under 18’s requested the HDFNL board and AFLCentralvic to step in as HDFNL are the only league in the region that remain under 17.
Didnt aflcv force the move to 18s in the lv. Theyll be having a fieldday picking up over age 17s from hdfl clubs around bendigo, reckon north and whitehills in particular would be bleeding.

I’ll tell you why Colbo, L/G, Lockington, Elmore and Huntly voted to remain under 17’s.
Mounts, white hills, north and Heathcote voted for under 18’s.

Least they've got to a stage of voting I spose. I know back in 2007/08 I lobbied a few clubs and actually thought we coulda won a vote 5-4 had we got it to the table .... sad thing is it was one of they key reasons the knuckleheads down this way (Broadford) sold the concept of moving to the RDFL.

Whilst I don't know the rationale behind it, I assume its to do with the underage footy. Currently the 'country' clubs have under 14s and then jump up to under 17s. If it was u18s it's likely they would loose players to Echuca, Rochy or Bendigo as players and parents want the physical maturity to be similar as opposed to a 14 year old playing against an 18 year old.

Yes they may loose players to the GV, BFL or LV after under 17s so they can play against a similar age but isn't that better than loosing them a few years earlier at under 16s level?

I know that prior to the Runnymede juniors, Colbo, Elmore and Mounts had 8-12 year olds running around in the under 17s (against the tattooed and bearded Broady boys) whilst a few jumping ship to Rochy and not returning to their home clubs. I think its better to need to recruit senior players than these clubs not having juniors - that year when Elmore and Mounts didn't have thirds was terrible for the recruitment (or retention) and development of younger players.

Whilst I don't know the rationale behind it, I assume its to do with the underage footy. Currently the 'country' clubs have under 14s and then jump up to under 17s. If it was u18s it's likely they would loose players to Echuca, Rochy or Bendigo as players and parents want the physical maturity to be similar as opposed to a 14 year old playing against an 18 year old.

Yes they may loose players to the GV, BFL or LV after under 17s so they can play against a similar age but isn't that better than loosing them a few years earlier at under 16s level?

I know that prior to the Runnymede juniors, Colbo, Elmore and Mounts had 8-12 year olds running around in the under 17s (against the tattooed and bearded Broady boys) whilst a few jumping ship to Rochy and not returning to their home clubs. I think its better to need to recruit senior players than these clubs not having juniors - that year when Elmore and Mounts didn't have thirds was terrible for the recruitment (or retention) and development of younger players.
The situation you are talking about with broadford is over 10 years ago. A 14 year old playing against an 18 year old is far fairer than a 17 year old playing reserves against a 30 plus year old. If colbo, elmore and the like have 14s playing under Runymeade in the goulbourn comp why don't they enter them in the BJFL where they can then develop through 14s 16s to then 18s? Heathcote have made the move out of Seymour recognising this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The situation you are talking about with broadford is over 10 years ago. A 14 year old playing against an 18 year old is far fairer than a 17 year old playing reserves against a 30 plus year old. If colbo, elmore and the like have 14s playing under Runymeade in the goulbourn comp why don't they enter them in the BJFL where they can then develop through 14s 16s to then 18s? Heathcote have made the move out of Seymour recognising this

I disagree with your statement. 17 and 18 year old kids are better equiped to play against men than a 13 or 14 year old is playing against and 18 year old

The physical maturity of a 13 or 14 year old kid versus 18 year olds in most cases is huge where as that gap is not as big when comparing 18 boys versus 30 year old men in my opinion.
Maybe years ago when they had a couple of years work under there belt but not now. Its a rare kid who can come straight out of 17s and match it with an adult how many kids out of last years 17s are going to play hdfl 2s or 1s this year? What im hearing across the bjfl alligned sides is you wouldnt run out fingers counting them.

Maybe years ago when they had a couple of years work under there belt but not now. Its a rare kid who can come straight out of 17s and match it with an adult how many kids out of last years 17s are going to play hdfl 2s or 1s this year? What im hearing across the bjfl alligned sides is you wouldnt run out fingers counting them.

I had a mate come straight out of under 15s to senior footy but he was a man child. I played senior footy at 15 Each kid is different I guess but I do take your point that that kids now are in the main different to those of my vintage

I had a mate come straight out of under 15s to senior footy but he was a man child. I played senior footy at 15 Each kid is different I guess but I do take your point that that kids now are in the main different to those of my vintage
It was the same when I was a young bloke but things are completely different now. The hdfl mainly bjfl alligned clubs are losing good juniors flat out even before 17s because of it. Which sides in 2018 will be able to field a 17s side without overage permits or match permits from other clubs.

Wasn't that rare in the 70s/80s for 15/16 year olds to be playing senior footy. I know in my experience that coming from a club with limited numbers that quite a few under 14s played 2 games each week and several under 16s played reserves also, was a good learning place for a 15/16 year old.

a 13 year old v 18 year old is much more different to a 17 year old v 'senior player'. The physical maturity is much different. Not all males have gone through puberty at 13/14 and can come up against fully developed men in a physical contest.

In terms of changing their junior comps - they play against their mates from School (e.g. most would go to Rochy) and the travel is much less and better align with other commitments. For years Elmore and Colbo struggles to field an under 17s side and the current situation still sees many playing under 14s on Friday night or Sunday and under 17s on Saturday. How would you expect these side to fill 3 teams?

Ultimately its a Bendigo v regional town issue and I completely understand the concerns - Colbo, Elmore and LBU loose a few plays to Rochy after they finish under 17s. But isn't it better to get the kids into your system to try and convince them to stay at the club rather than rely on them staying because of age classifications.

a 13 year old v 18 year old is much more different to a 17 year old v 'senior player'. The physical maturity is much different. Not all males have gone through puberty at 13/14 and can come up against fully developed men in a physical contest.

In terms of changing their junior comps - they play against their mates from School (e.g. most would go to Rochy) and the travel is much less and better align with other commitments. For years Elmore and Colbo struggles to field an under 17s side and the current situation still sees many playing under 14s on Friday night or Sunday and under 17s on Saturday. How would you expect these side to fill 3 teams?

Ultimately its a Bendigo v regional town issue and I completely understand the concerns - Colbo, Elmore and LBU loose a few plays to Rochy after they finish under 17s. But isn't it better to get the kids into your system to try and convince them to stay at the club rather than rely on them staying because of age classifications.

White Hills, Huntly and North Bendigo are now in the same boat as I would doubt these three sides had under 16’s last year due to once kids are too old for under 14’s they go play for a Bendigo side as they know they have the chance to play 16’s then 18’s.
The kids that do play 17’s in the HDFNL play the one year then go to LV to play 18’s and you struggle to get them back.
With the AFL hub all about points system and player retention it needs to be rectified one way or the other.

To ex
White Hills, Huntly and North Bendigo are now in the same boat as I would doubt these three sides had under 16’s last year due to once kids are too old for under 14’s they go play for a Bendigo side as they know they have the chance to play 16’s then 18’s.
The kids that do play 17’s in the HDFNL play the one year then go to LV to play 18’s and you struggle to get them back.
With the AFL hub all about points system and player retention it needs to be rectified one way or the other.
Yep, and the clubs that take the time and effort to develop players through junior programs are seeing them either walk away from the game altogether at 17 or heading to lvfl or othe comps where they can play another year of open age. Then have to try and get them back. This argument about a 14 year old not being able to play against an 18 year old but there is no risk in a 17 year old playing agaist a 30 plus year old is nonsense and even if it worked 40 years ago doesnt work today.

I’ve heard there were threats of clubs to leave the comp if it went to 18’s. Let them, what other arse about league are they going to go to, and get an under 17’s comp.
Also heard that AFL central vic, stood in and changed the LVFL to 18’s without consultation.
It needs to be uniform throughout the state, and if it means the HDFL says “in 2019 under 17’s will cease, and be replaced with 18’s” so be it. Gives clubs a couple of years to prepare.
How can two of the biggest, whinging clubs in regards to this, continually produce teams playing in thirds grand finals?

I’ve heard there were threats of clubs to leave the comp if it went to 18’s. Let them, what other arse about league are they going to go to, and get an under 17’s comp.
Also heard that AFL central vic, stood in and changed the LVFL to 18’s without consultation.
It needs to be uniform throughout the state, and if it means the HDFL says “in 2019 under 17’s will cease, and be replaced with 18’s” so be it. Gives clubs a couple of years to prepare.
How can two of the biggest, whinging clubs in regards to this, continually produce teams playing in thirds grand finals?
Very well put. Reckon a couple of them have (or had) the league bluffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back