Robbo Endorsed Herald Sun is now user pays - GTFO here! MEGA THREAD

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Herald-Sun.com.au goes "user pays"

People don't seem to be noticing that if they've got a subscription to the paper, then they've automatically got access to the entire website.

If you're a Herald Sun reader (and most complaining here must be, otherwise there'd be no complaining), then that's decent value.

Big word IF...I cant subscribe to the HS but i do buy it virtually every day and have done so for a few decades -and I read a bit more when i get home online. So they are hitting me twice just because I enjoy two mediums to peruse their product? I think they have failed to realise that I do not go online just to read the HS, it's just one of many tabs open.
I just cant be stuffed with it all...simple as that and obviously time to get over it and look around...

Both NewsLtd and Fairfax's print revenue have nosedived like you wouldn't believe in the last decade, so both companies have tried to fill this void with online advertising on the various sites ( including the news sites ) they each own. It's no secret that both major media companies in Oz have purchased a large number of online sites recently. Online is the way everything is going and soon enough all major online news sites will charge subscription fees as people will pay it. It's just a natural progression and a lot of o/seas media companies already charge to view their content.

Anyone else having trouble using the old google workaround?

People don't seem to be noticing that if they've got a subscription to the paper, then they've automatically got access to the entire website.

If you're a Herald Sun reader (and most complaining here must be, otherwise there'd be no complaining), then that's decent value.

We get it delivered on a weekend but don't during the week because they don't always have it delivered before heading to work. So we pay for it 7 days a week but they still want more money to read the online articles that don't come in the print paper.

With all the online news these days I probably don't even need the print paper as most the main stories I have read online the day before anyway.

Just watched Media Watch WRT the Herald Suns paywall and the AFL's media arm now reporting on the Football. Posts from Big Footy even got quoted.:thumbsu:

BFMediaWatch1.jpg

BigFootyMediaWatch2.jpg

saw the media watch thing and made me thinking of this thread.

poor move imo by the Herald Sun. Their business, their decisions, but i will be suprised if it turns out to be a good one.

i quite like the HS footy section, i think it's better than the age's, but not to the point where i would fork out money for it. 150 bucks isn't a whole lot on it's own, but as someone said, 3 bucks here, 4 bucks there, 2 there, another 3 back here.... before you know you've got 50 bucks a week in subscriptions... so when things like that happen, you gotta make a decision. for me, with the amount of footy news i can get for free through the age, here, the roar and other sites, then i'll stick to them....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not familiar with the website, but the iPad app is a major letdown. The content is minimal and so basic, often showing around 10 or so articles to choose from. There's no depth to it, no value.

There's no incentive to pay money for it, whatsoever.

The bigger worry is the AFL setting up its own media arm and what that will mean for independent news coverage. We saw how compliant the press can be in the last few weeks, imagine if they all actually worked for Vlad.

AFL does like it's control.

and here comes the Fairfax paywall!

The age going tabloid size as well.

Right Wing tabloid owned by a billionaire. Vale independent print media. Age-Hun will be much the same now with Gina in control

How dare they make us pay for the work they pay their writers produce.

I mean, newspapers have been free for over a hundred years and... s**t, hang on.

Not sure what the outrage is. If it works, it works. If not it will be free again. Not likely to bring News ltd down if it fails so why not give it a go?

People are kidding if they think this is going to stop at News ltd, btw. The dam will well and truly burst and others will follow shortly.

Yep, couldn't agree with myself more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back