Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

No stress mate.. People feel differently about what we pay and how long a contract we offer various players. For mine, thats a risk for Higgins. 3 years, starting at 450K dropping to 350K over the last two years - happier with that deal....

Ok, I was just worried that you'd taken my post seriously as a commentary or opinion. I was just being a smart-arse - apologies for any confusion!

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole Higgins thing, tbh. If he stays, I support him, if he goes, good luck to him, he becomes irrelevant to me.

No.
Rubbish that you suggested he didn't try in his last game.
Rubbish that you suggested that he didn't care.
Rubbish that if you were Gia you would have told him to eff off after Gia's last game.
It was massively disappointing we lost Ward, and what we were given in return. But do not blame the kid, blame the AFL and the system.
As I said to you earlier, if you were offered a job with 3X the wage, you would take it. It hurts he has gone yes, but our football department maybe should have sewn him up earlier also.
He is a good kid and showed in his games with us how good he was going to be, unfortunately for us his best years are up North.

And I have said in several posts, my issue was not with him taking the money - no-one could refuse that. MattDougie pointed out that he had a broken wrist in his last game - that may well be the case, and the reason why he didn't commit himself to contests during that game with his usual vigour. Watch the game - he was not fully committed to the cause, whatever the reason. And I am not questioning his career, I am questioning his performance in THAT game, for whatever the reason, which was below par. And don't use stats - watch the actual game.

Ok, I was just worried that you'd taken my post seriously as a commentary or opinion. I was just being a smart-arse - apologies for any confusion!

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole Higgins thing, tbh. If he stays, I support him, if he goes, good luck to him, he becomes irrelevant to me.

Don't stress, I try (note try) not to take this place TOO seriously.... ;)

if a team is offering him 1.8 m over 4 years they can have him - we should get a pretty awesome compo band pick if thats the case lol !

Exactly. Why stop there unnamed Melbourne club? Pay him a little more - he's a matchwinner.

Go on, he has so much potential. Another $50k a year won't hurt your salary cap that much - you'll barely notice it.;)

Question to everyone... what would you pay Higgins per year considering his history and where we are at as a club. Over 3 yrs?

Question to everyone... what would you pay Higgins per year considering his history and where we are at as a club. Over 3 yrs?
I believe he's been offered a 2 year deal with (guesstimate only) about 350-400 K per year, possibly at the lower end. I'd be very surprised if the offer was above $400K. IMO this is a fair deal for Higgins considering the average pay for an AFL player is about $270,000.
Personally, I'd do the trade irrespective of the deal offered.

I would pay him 250-300k about the AFL average.
He's only a fringe player at a bottom 5 club.

Has anyone read this? http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ircle-free-agent/story-fni5fazt-1227057030232.
I am paywalled for the week so I can't see it. Let me know if there is anything of interest.

It basically says that he is still in negotiations exclusively with the bulldogs. There has been offers from other clubs but at this stage he is still trying to negotiate a deal with the bulldgos. Seems like his first choice is to stay a bulldog, but with the length and size of contract the sticking point. Unless the club would prefer him to leave and get the compensation pick, I reckon he'll end agreeing to terms with the club. Well that's the vibe of the article.

Has anyone read this? http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ircle-free-agent/story-fni5fazt-1227057030232.
I am paywalled for the week so I can't see it. Let me know if there is anything of interest.

Shaun Higgins remains in contract talks with Western Bulldogs as rivals circle free agent

030655-76650d04-3a5c-11e4-b4eb-3aaea0238ac5.jpg

Shaun Higgins remains locked in negotiations with the Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein

SHAUN Higgins remains locked in negotiations with the Western Bulldogs, with his manager insisting the free agent doesn’t want to leave the kennel.

Higgins had put off talks with the Dogs until the end of the season, sparking strong speculation he wanted a fresh start after nine mostly injury-hit seasons.

There had been reports Higgins had already decided to leave the Dogs, but his manager, Bruce Kaider of One Management, said he wasn’t set on departing.

“That would be incorrect. There’s obviously speculation, he’s weighing up his options at the moment, but it’s still very early for us in the process. It would be too early for us to say what he’s going to do,” Kaider said.

“We’re in dialogue with the Western Bulldogs at the moment and we’re going to continue to talk and negotiate with them. There’s no time frame.”

030681-4a02cae8-3a5d-11e4-b4eb-3aaea0238ac5.jpg

Shaun Higgins is in demand as a free agent. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

A number of clubs have been linked to the 26-year-old, who played 20 games this year, but Higgins is currently dealing exclusively with the Bulldogs.

He finished 16th in the best and fairest and was dropped, but importantly his body stayed sound.

“There’s obviously interest, there’s been interest all year. But we’ve stuck to our position, which is to give the Western Bulldogs the opportunity to negotiate with us and talk to us and work through a possible deal and go from there,” Kaider said.

“What people have lost in all of this was that he came back from a really serious injury the previous year. We just wanted him to get through a full season, which he hasn’t done for a long time. That was the No.1 priority.”

The Dogs are also optimistic Higgins will stay put.

“I’m not going to go into detail but we continue having discussions with Shaun and I’m certainly hopeful that we can figure something out,” Dogs chief executive Simon Garlick told SEN.

“Shaun has been a really good Bulldogs person, a fantastic person, fantastic family, been cruelled by injury.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$350K p/a is fair for the output. Any more than $400K and I'd let him go as I dont think paying him extra is worth it over doing that bit extra to keep the good young players we have coming through that we will need to have salary room for

If Higgins still loves the club and wants to stay, I want him here. He has become a bit of a whipping boy on this board, but he started the year off really well and still has room for improvement in his game. He is in that important age bracket we need, has great skills (out of form in the 2nd half of the year obviously), and puts his body on the line when he needs to. We know he is a good leader around the club and I doubt we will be getting a better player with the FA compo pick.

I hope we can reach an agreement with Shaun for a reasonable amount and keep him at the club. Could be a very dangerous half fwd / part time mid i.e. Robbie Gray.

If Higgins still loves the club and wants to stay, I want him here. He has become a bit of a whipping boy on this board, but he started the year off really well and still has room for improvement in his game. He is in that important age bracket we need, has great skills (out of form in the 2nd half of the year obviously), and puts his body on the line when he needs to. We know he is a good leader around the club and I doubt we will be getting a better player with the FA compo pick.

I hope we can reach an agreement with Shaun for a reasonable amount and keep him at the club. Could be a very dangerous half fwd / part time mid i.e. Robbie Gray.

I don't have any hard information, but reading the tea leaves of recent statements by Shaun and Macca, my gut tells me Shaun will stay. I'm with you Doggies...if Shaun really wants to stay I hope that he and the club can get it done.

While I understand and agree with the general sentiment, you are drawing an extremely long bow with relating Higgins performances with those of Robbie Gray.

While I understand and agree with the general sentiment, you are drawing an extremely long bow with relating Higgins performances with those of Robbie Gray.

It is and it isn't. I'm more referring to the position and ability to impact games playing that important role, moreso than having the same ability as Gray.

If you have a look at Robbie's career trajectory, he has been just a good player who has shown a lot of promise in the past, but had injury problems slow him down. Last year was his first back after a serious injury and he was only ok, had a good year without being outstanding. This year after another pre-season and 2 years removed from the injury, he has been fully healthy and absolutely used his ability to become one of the best MID / FWD's in the comp. 26 years old, same as Shaun, I don't think it's a ridiculous comparison if we can get Higgins some more continuity and comfortable in that role, that he could have a huge impact for us. It's a good goal to set for himself anyway, we know he has the talent.

It is and it isn't. I'm more referring to the position and ability to impact games playing that important role, moreso than having the same ability as Gray.

If you have a look at Robbie's career trajectory, he has been just a good player who has shown a lot of promise in the past, but had injury problems slow him down. Last year was his first back after a serious injury and he was only ok, had a good year without being outstanding. This year after another pre-season and 2 years removed from the injury, he has been fully healthy and absolutely used his ability to become one of the best MID / FWD's in the comp. 26 years old, same as Shaun, I don't think it's a ridiculous comparison if we can get Higgins some more continuity and comfortable in that role, that he could have a huge impact for us. It's a good goal to set for himself anyway, we know he has the talent.

Gray has speed and agility.

You might be right and I didn't realise Gray was that old. I've just seen Gray impact more games in a season and kick more clutch goals than Higgins has in a career. Gray works harder, is faster and buys into the team structure. Higgins has all the talent, but none of the focus on improving every aspect of his game... And I can't ever see Higgins winning Player of the Year.....

While he wasn't alone, I can recall Higgins getting chance after chance in our 2008 - 2010 era and kicking none of the goals that mattered in the big finals. Contrast that to Saturday night..... And maybe it's a case of my dodgy memory playing tricks again, maybe Higgins wasn't the culprit for these misses...

Maybe the extra year injury free will be the making of Higgins - and perhaps the Gray comparison is a good one - this is what you can do if you unleash the shackles.... You might have a career in motivation there Doggies7

You might be right and I didn't realise Gray was that old. I've just seen Gray impact more games in a season and kick more clutch goals than Higgins has in a career. Gray works harder, is faster and buys into the team structure. Higgins has all the talent, but none of the focus on improving every aspect of his game... And I can't ever see Higgins winning Player of the Year.....

While he wasn't alone, I can recall Higgins getting chance after chance in our 2008 - 2010 era and kicking none of the goals that mattered in the big finals. Contrast that to Saturday night..... And maybe it's a case of my dodgy memory playing tricks again, maybe Higgins wasn't the culprit for these misses...

Maybe the extra year injury free will be the making of Higgins - and perhaps the Gray comparison is a good one - this is what you can do if you unleash the shackles.... You might have a career in motivation there Doggies7

Haha I am by no means a Higgins defender or will be upset if he walks out of the club or anything, I am probably just being a little over optimistic about what he could be. Being a Doggies supporter you have to try and just think positively and hope for the best :)

Haha I am by no means a Higgins defender or will be upset if he walks out of the club or anything, I am probably just being a little over optimistic about what he could be. Being a Doggies supporter you have to try and just think positively and hope for the best :)

Understandable. If Higgins wants to stay, commits to the club for a duration and a price that matches what the club is willing to pay - great. He has talent, he's best 22 and could be a valuable player for us. However, I'd not be happy to offer a long term, condition free, expensive contract to him - when we know we have clubs already eyeing off Stringer, Macrae, Bontempelli, Libba and others....

I said elsewhere that i thought Angus Monfries was a good comparison, very similar players. I think the lack of continuous footy over the past few years has had an effect on Sean, as it did on Wood and to a lesser extent Koby Stevens.
Just ready to have that breakout next year, And i think the Grey comparison, career wise is a great comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back