Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

But if we have him earmarked as a defender/distributor and his biggest weakness is his defensive effort and covering the opposition spread he might be a better fit for some club that needs a creative half-forward.

In fact I think he would play better for us in the forward half but we have other competing - and arguably better - options there (Hunter, Hrovat, Grant, Honeychurch, Dahl, Crameri, etc).

EDIT: and all of those options are younger too!

The new story on the club site doesn't give much confidence that he is staying - http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-07-31/veteran-bulldog-signs-on

McCartney remained tight lipped when asked whether Shaun Higgins, who becomes a free agent at season's end, would be at the club next year.

AFL.com.au understands North Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond and Greater Western Sydney have expressed their interest in the 26-year-old, who is reportedly after a three-year contract.

"It's not my area" McCartney said.

"We're all engaging in conversations about where we want our group to go. Our footy manager and our list manager, they go to work on it. That's all I have to say on it."

The way Robbo was going blabbering on 360 tonight, it looks like Shaun will most likely be leaving.

Very disapointing if true.
All Robbo does is blabber on, I used to watch 360 most nights, but he has influenced me to no longer watch 360.
Shouts all the time, he messes up players names, & even though hes a journalist his vocabulary is limited, which is surprising seeing words are important to the job!

All Robbo does is blabber on, I used to watch 360 most nights, but he has influenced me to not no long watch 360.
Shouts all the time, he messes up players names, & even though hes a journalist his vocabulary is limited, which is surprising seeing words are important to the job!
I like Robbo. He's a pig, but that's what makes it funny.

“You know, a town with money's a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it!”

uploadfromtaptalk1406779114778.jpg

That sums up Robbo perfectly for me.

FWIW, Brad Johnson who would know a lot more about Higgns than Robbo and others said he thinks Higgins will stay.

Also I'd love to see Higgins play forward a bit more, he always looks so dangerous down there. But I guess with a lot of other medium/small forwards playing plus guys like Grant and Dickson as well there is not really a spot down there for him.

I get the feeling Higgins wants to stay and will stay. According to our number one supporter Damian Barrett, the sticking point is Higgins wants three years and the clubs preference is two. I reckon it will get sorted at the end of the season and he'll stay.

I wouldn't give Higgins a three year deal, just my personal view..

Higgins has played all of about 12 games at half-back at afl level, and was in the top 5 or 6 in the Ching voting. He has work to do to improve, but I don't understand the thinking that:

A) he can't/won't improve those areas (particularly given how inexperienced he is at half-back) and
B) he's not that valuable/important to us.

Higgins has played all of about 12 games at half-back at afl level, and was in the top 5 or 6 in the Ching voting. He has work to do to improve, but I don't understand the thinking that:

A) he can't/won't improve those areas (particularly given how inexperienced he is at half-back) and
B) he's not that valuable/important to us.

On A) - I think he's improved significantly this year, in his defensive and contested efforts.

As I said just above, I still wouldn't give him a three year deal though....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few of his mates have been pretty "vocal" towards one of the Bulldog's coaching staff at a few suburban VFL games.

A complaint was made by the staffer in question.
That's ordinary.

They should know better, hope Hig's had a word with them.

A few of his mates have been pretty "vocal" towards one of the Bulldog's coaching staff at a few suburban VFL games.

A complaint was made by the staffer in question.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when you say mates, do you mean players or non-players?

I like Robbo. He's a pig, but that's what makes it funny.

“You know, a town with money's a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it!”

View attachment 70951

That sums up Robbo perfectly for me.

Robbo is the guy you have a beer with and talk about footy. You'll argue and tell him off and have banter about how much drugs Essendon players take and he'll ask when was the last time the dogs won a premiership. He's a typical footy supporter. Because he gets paid to talk about footy, people put him on a pedestal.

Sure he blabbers on, but so do a lot of people on big footy. He just gets paid to blabber, that is what annoys people on here about footy journos.

It's jealousy. "They're saying stuff I can say better, why are they getting all this exposure and getting paid!"

Anyhow back on topic.

If Higgins leaves, we get a compensation. Use that as a trade chip unless we have someone in mind for that pick in the draft.

non-players.

Just a couple of bogans holding beers giving sprays from over the boundary and whenever they cross paths.

The not so good side of the return of football to suburban grounds. Its very easy to make yourself heard if you want to deliver a message to players or the coaching staff, no matter how misguided that message may be. Especially after an afternoon of drinking cans.

Robbo is the guy you have a beer with and talk about footy. You'll argue and tell him off and have banter about how much drugs Essendon players take and he'll ask when was the last time the dogs won a premiership. He's a typical footy supporter. Because he gets paid to talk about footy, people put him on a pedestal.

Sure he blabbers on, but so do a lot of people on big footy. He just gets paid to blabber, that is what annoys people on her about footy journos.

Let it go.
Yeah, that's why I like him. Would much rather listen to Robbo talking crap over listening tk Carrow or Barrett, who just wanna take everyone down a peg.

The not so good side of the return of football to suburban grounds. Its very easy to make yourself heard if you want to deliver a message to players or the coaching staff, no matter how misguided that message may be. Especially after an afternoon of drinking cans.
Yeah, some people come out with some silly things.

Having made my way onto the ground and spoken to a few of the boys (JJ, Honeychurch, Jong, Stringer) on a few occasions, it occurs to me how easy it is for some moron to get out there and say something nasty. Particularly when, as you said, they've had a few.

The accessibility has gone up a notch this year, I hope things don't change in that regard because a select few behave inappropriately.

non-players.

Just a couple of bogans holding beers giving sprays from over the boundary and whenever they cross paths.
how was it figured out that they're his mates and not just dogs fans that thought he was stiff?

Pretty easily.

He arrived at the ground with them and the club knows who they are (because they've attended his games before).
cheers. always appreciate your info. i heard a bit of a dirty rumour slagging off mccartney for being the reason he might want to leave but it appears that macca hasn't exactly gone crazy or anything there might just be an understandable "falling out" or "not seeing eye to eye" for the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back