Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

To keep Higgins we might need to offer the kind of kanga that Crameri is on, so by signing Crameri we might lose Higgins.

If you had to pick one, which would it be. For me it's probably Higgins.
Crameri by a country mile.

Crameri. Comfortably.

Offers much more, and consistently (not a word some would associate with Crameri but moreso than Higgins).

To keep Higgins we might need to offer the kind of kanga that Crameri is on, so by signing Crameri we might lose Higgins.

Think you being very unfair in Crameri

Like Jones he is a 3rd forward(2nd at very best) and with us he is number 1 so not only does he get best backman he also gets the loose floating in front of him.

Although I admit he has been disappointing, I think IF we ever get a functioning forward line he will be more than useful.

We desperately need that big target and that will free up the others one by one.

Here's an idea that most of you will hate. Why don't we sign Cox for a year? Bring him over as ruck coach and to help Mino as second ruck and he can also take a grab. Draft a couple big kids that can learn from him for a year or 2

And Higgins would be gone if I was coach, anything more than 200-250k is too much for an injury probe bloke that has promised a lot and delivered f$&$ all

We desperately need that big target and that will free up the others one by one.

Here's an idea that most of you will hate. Why don't we sign Cox for a year? Bring him over as ruck coach and to help Mino as second ruck and he can also take a grab. Draft a couple big kids that can learn from him for a year or 2

Wa-a-a-i-i-t-t a minute ... didn't you just say today we shouldn't play Goodes because he's a 32 yo? (As was pointed out, he's actually 30.)
Cox has just turned 33!

I know you're saying use him as a coach, so why not just bring him over as a coach? Why take Campbell's development opportunities away? It wouldn't cost as much and we'd be getting games into some youngster who is part of our future (TC or whoever), which I think was the argument you used for not selecting Goodes.

It's not the silliest idea I've ever heard (there have been some doozies over the years) but it does seem a bit inconsistent.

Wa-a-a-i-i-t-t a minute ... didn't you just say today we shouldn't play Goodes because he's a 32 yo? (As was pointed out, he's actually 30.)
Cox has just turned 33!

I know you're saying use him as a coach, so why not just bring him over as a coach? Why take Campbell's development opportunities away? It wouldn't cost as much and we'd be getting games into some youngster who is part of our future (TC or whoever), which I think was the argument you used for not selecting Goodes.

It's not the silliest idea I've ever heard (there have been some doozies over the years) but it does seem a bit inconsistent.

Because Cox fills a desperate need where as Goodes does not. Minson needs help NOW not in 2 years and Coz would fill this void.

I understand the contradiction but I also think our ruck coaching is poor at best so he can help in that aspect also

Because Cox fills a desperate need where as Goodes does not. Minson needs help NOW not in 2 years and Coz would fill this void.

I understand the contradiction but I also think our ruck coaching is poor at best so he can help in that aspect also

How does Cox fill a need he says scratching his head ? so do you want him on the list or as a coach ?

Both

As Hudson did at lions and pies

I understand it's a bit left field but we desperately need a 2nd ruck option and I think we have zero chance of getting Patton or Lynch or etc.

Don't think he will cost a lot and in the end it be a one year commitment so what do we lose if it doesn't work?

Both

I understand it's a bit left field but we desperately need a 2nd ruck option and I think we have zero chance of getting Patton or Lynch or etc.

Don't think he will cost a lot and in the end it be a one year commitment so what do we lose if it doesn't work?
Sorry, MD, I'm still struggling with this.

I do agree Minson needs help now and have said so several times in recent weeks. However why isn't Campbell capable of that? He's the obvious solution.

And if Cox can help out in a coaching capacity and is better than Steven King then why not get him here as a coach?

What we lose by trading in or drafting Cox is:
1. Opportunities to develop Campbell (or someone else if there's a better young ruck option, say Cordy or a draftee)
2. Another spot on the senior list where we could be giving a young prospect an opportunity to prove himself (say young f/s prospect Foster).

It also runs contrary to nearly all our recent draft practice. Even Goodes was a relatively youthful 28yo when drafted.

The only way your suggestion makes sense is if you think Campbell is either not yet ready to give Minson a chop-out or else he'll never be any good (I'd have to disagree with you either way) and that there's no other semi-developed young ruck prospect out there that we could draft (seems highly unlikely).

Both

Our problem is that we have a reserves ruckman in Campbell who quite rightly deserves a chance to be the number 1 ruckman. Bringing in another number 1 ruckman in Cox at the end of his career only exacerbates the problem of how to play all of our number 1 rucks in the AFL side.

None of Minson, Cox or Campbell are the key forward who can pinch-hit when required as a back-up ruckman. Roughy is probably the closest we have, and he has proven to be a far better defender than forward thus far.

I thank the Good Lord every day that you have absolutely nothing to do with the coaching or list management of our team.

If Higgins goes and we get a compensation pick, it'll likely be after our second round pick.

So it would end up Higgins + Pick 28 (from memory) = Crameri + Pick 23 (ish). I think we've done well out of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad someone else has observed this as well. I don't know whether Higgins has it in him to improve in these areas or not.
Just a coaches brain when watching the games. Agree, like Higgins, hope he stays not sure though he an adjust

Our problem is that we have a reserves ruckman in Campbell who quite rightly deserves a chance to be the number 1 ruckman. Bringing in another number 1 ruckman in Cox at the end of his career only exacerbates the problem of how to play all of our number 1 rucks in the AFL side.

None of Minson, Cox or Campbell are the key forward who can pinch-hit when required as a back-up ruckman. Roughy is probably the closest we have, and he has proven to be a far better defender than forward thus far.

I thank the Good Lord every day that you have absolutely nothing to do with the coaching or list management of our team.

Hahaha Campbell number one ruckman!!

I think you actually may be on Maccas selection commitee coz that is just ridiculous.

But thanks for following me round now mutt and just popping me ... I love new fans :)

I think you actually may be on Maccas selection commitee coz that is just ridiculous.

But thanks for following me round now mutt and just popping me ... I love new fans :)
I suggest you get down to Footscray MD.

Campbell's been outstanding, head and shoulders above the competition in the 2s, and he hasn't been disgraced at AFL level, often performing quite well be it as a forward or in the ruck.

He might not be ready to shoulder the number one ruck mantle like Will has (and in very gutsy fashion) all season, but he's not far off.

Sorry, MD, I'm still struggling with this.

I do agree Minson needs help now and have said so several times in recent weeks. However why isn't Campbell capable of that? He's the obvious solution.

And if Cox can help out in a coaching capacity and is better than Steven King then why not get him here as a coach?

What we lose by trading in or drafting Cox is:
1. Opportunities to develop Campbell (or someone else if there's a better young ruck option, say Cordy or a draftee)
2. Another spot on the senior list where we could be giving a young prospect an opportunity to prove himself (say young f/s prospect Foster).

It also runs contrary to nearly all our recent draft practice. Even Goodes was a relatively youthful 28yo when drafted.

The only way your suggestion makes sense is if you think Campbell is either not yet ready to give Minson a chop-out or else he'll never be any good (I'd have to disagree with you either way) and that there's no other semi-developed young ruck prospect out there that we could draft (seems highly unlikely).

Because I think it's quite obvious Campbell is not ready and he is far to similar to Mino.

I'm not saying Cox is the solution to long term issues but he can fill a gap for a year while Campbell continues to develop and as a senior premiership player has far more strings to his now than Campbell at the moment.

The second half the issue is that our ruck coaching is poor at best and Cox would help with that. It's not all about him playing he would be a stop gap to help Mino and teach Campbell and Cordy how to ruck.

Apparently Hudson has been instrumental in Grundy and Watts development and I see Cox as an even better option

I suggest you get down to Footscray MD.

Campbell's been outstanding, head and shoulders above the competition in the 2s, and he hasn't been disgraced at AFL level, often performing quite well be it as a forward or in the ruck.

He might not be ready to shoulder the number one ruck mantle like Will has (and in very gutsy fashion) all season, but he's not far off.

No Nathan I know he has been very good at VFL level but up to know has not been able to bring that to seniors and he may be a guy who never does.

But again what do we lose if we bring Cox over in a dual role? He would allow us to rotate thru rucks for a year and go e guys a rest and you know he will give at least an average effort.

No Nathan I know he has been very good at VFL level but up to know has not been able to bring that to seniors and he may be a guy who never does.

But again what do we lose if we bring Cox over in a dual role? He would allow us to rotate thru rucks for a year and go e guys a rest and you know he will give at least an average effort.
I think he'll bring his good form to the AFL, but he'll benefit initially for having Minson around. He couldn't carry us the way Will has, but he'd more than hold his own, and we'll see that.

If Cox wanted to continue to play AFL footy, he'd go on with the Eagles next year and play his 300th. Bloke is cooked. I'd be all for bringing him over as an assistant because he's among the best I've ever seen and is keen to look elsewhere for experience as an assistant, but getting him to play is very unlikely.

If we're looking towards mature ruckmen, I'd recommend Cameron Wood ;) No, but in all seriousness the best way to go would be to back Minson and Campbell in for the foreseeable future and look at drafting a developing prospect. Cordy's there as insurance, he's been reasonably good when he hasn't been the number one man.

I think he'll bring his good form to the AFL, but he'll benefit initially for having Minson around. He couldn't carry us the way Will has, but he'd more than hold his own, and we'll see that.

If Cox wanted to continue to play AFL footy, he'd go on with the Eagles next year and play his 300th. Bloke is cooked. I'd be all for bringing him over as an assistant because he's among the best I've ever seen and is keen to look elsewhere for experience as an assistant, but getting him to play is very unlikely.

If we're looking towards mature ruckmen, I'd recommend Cameron Wood ;) No, but in all seriousness the best way to go would be to back Minson and Campbell in for the foreseeable future and look at drafting a developing prospect. Cordy's there as insurance, he's been reasonably good when he hasn't been the number one man.

Mate I will bet a slab with you that Cox plays footy next year

He was pushed mate and he believes he has more footy in him

Mate I will bet a slab with you that Cox plays footy next year

He was pushed mate and he believes he has more footy in him
I'm not so sure. I firmly believe he's stuffed, physically.

But you seem too sure for me to want to bet on it ;)

Because I think it's quite obvious Campbell is not ready and he is far to similar to Mino.

I'm not saying Cox is the solution to long term issues but he can fill a gap for a year while Campbell continues to develop and as a senior premiership player has far more strings to his now than Campbell at the moment.

The second half the issue is that our ruck coaching is poor at best and Cox would help with that. It's not all about him playing he would be a stop gap to help Mino and teach Campbell and Cordy how to ruck.

Apparently Hudson has been instrumental in Grundy and Watts development and I see Cox as an even better option
Well, as I said earlier I will have to disagree with you on whether he's ready. It may be obvious to you but it isn't to me (although I'm sure he has several years of improving to go, like most under 25 ruckmen). If, as you say, it's to give Minson some help then he will be a far better option than Jones, Redpath or Williams and will be better than a "stop gap". We should all know a bit more about how he's going by Sunday night anyway.

And if Campbell is "far too similar" to the current AA ruckman then I say let's have more of it! That'll do me. Yes, it would be nice to have a second ruckman who is athletic like Natanui or Ryder but Cox isn't that either. All I can see Cox offers that Minson doesn't is a bit more marking around the ground but if his body is stuffed even that would be questionable.

The coaching issue is a furphy as far as getting Cox in as a player goes. I'm pleased to see you seem to be acknowledging that.

I'm along these lines with you.

It's just that I love supportive fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back