Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a look the only other AFL player with the group is Brett Moloney who is now retired. Majority are basketballers.

If Moloney was a few cms taller, there would be rumours, probably started by Ralph, that we are into him to play as a key forward. Are any of those basketballers likely "project players" - we need more of them too, especially with poor Tom W retired. ;)

Jon Ralph: Carlton
Everybody else with at least some semblance of credibility: North or Geelong

Think I'll go with everybody else.

The Carlton rumours have been around for a while, although potentially started by Ralph in a previous 'exclusive'. With Gibbs, Judd and Murphy, he wouldn't get a lot of attention - although he's clearly not what they actually need.

I wish he would stay, but play in the forward line. Anybody who doubts this guy's class should watch any highlights of our finals in past years. He features heavily in them.

I wish he would stay, but play in the forward line. Anybody who doubts this guy's class should watch any highlights of our finals in past years. He features heavily in them.

How would you structure up our forward line to accomodate him ?

I agree.

Was thre major reason we had St Kilda on the ropes for three and a half quarters of the 2009 Prelim.

Unfortunately I think he needs a change of scenery.

The 2008 prelim, and the 2009 series. A long time ago, and he had mature players all around him - Johnson, Aker, Welsh, Gia, Eagleton, hahn, Murphy, to take the focus away from him.

Not quite the same in the current setup.

Plus Higgns took a lot of marks in those finals, is actually a good mark overhead. He wouldn't have the same impact now, as the fwd line is not experienced or functional enough to allow him to play to his strengths.

Just based upon this years list I have Higgins as a small/medium forward ahead of any of the following - Gia, Tutt, Smith, Honeychruch, Hrovat, Stevens, Hunters & Dickson. Not a complete list but limited to those that could have or have played this year as a small/medium forward.

Just based upon this years list I have Higgins as a small/medium forward ahead of any of the following - Gia, Tutt, Smith, Honeychruch, Hrovat, Stevens, Hunters & Dickson. Not a complete list but limited to those that could have or have played this year as a small/medium forward.

Higgins is 186cm, not a small/medium fwd. And as per maddog's criteria, several on that list leave Higgins for dead on defensive pressure. He worked well in a fwd line of small/med fwds - Welsh was the tallest at 188cm, where they could all isolate opponents in an open fwd line - that ain't gonna happen in our current fwd line. he might kick a few goals each week, but get burnt on the rebound.

Several times during both careers?

Bullshit. Absolute unadulterated bullshit.

Name the games. Bet you can't.

Oh Ivan has this become personal now between us coz now u seem to be following me but to answer your question

Gia - I don't remember the year exact but it was Eades last off Maccas first year.

At home at Etihad to the crows Gia leaf out by himself the kick was high and he ducked out and shirked it. How do I remember this ?? Coz the whole bay I was sitting in saw it and talked about it for the rest of the game how weak it was

Gia down at kardinia park in the wet had Hunt coming straight at him at a contest that he completely stopped in and didn't want none of it. Don't really blame him Hunt is a tank but he shirked it no doubt

Higgins- well if u haven't seen Higgins shirk it several times then perhaps you aren't a bulldog fan coz how may boo the bloke for bein soft and not trying??? Just me saying this is it ? No!!

There was even talk on here earlier in the year of this so no Ivan this isn't bullshit even if u don't agree

And I never said this was a really bad thing, I said every team needs these blokes but if you think either of these blokes hasn't taken a few shorts steps more than once than you don't watch the games or this is simply trying to pot me now.

Ivan I suggest you push ignore on me. Cheers :)

Last edited:
I completely disagree that Higgins would have poor defensive pressure in the forward line. Riddle me this: he is a defender for us currently, which is simply the worst area to have poor defensive players. Why would that be unless you are completely incorrect in describing him as a poor defensive player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely disagree that Higgins would have poor defensive pressure in the forward line. Riddle me this: he is a defender for us currently, which is simply the worst area to have poor defensive players. Why would that be unless you are completely incorrect in describing him as a poor defensive player?

That would be why he got dropped a few weeks back, well Macca said it was poor defensive decision making or something along those lines

That would be why he got dropped a few weeks back, well Macca said it was poor defensive decision making or something along those lines
But he was reinstated into the side as a defensive player. Meaning he had done enough to show that he was worthy of an AFL position as a defender. Surely then his defense would suffice in the forward line? Or is a one off dropping indicative of a continued flaw? I put it to you that if he was a poor defensive player, he simply would not be deployed as a defender at AFL level.

But he was reinstated into the side as a defensive player. Meaning he had done enough to show that he was worthy of an AFL position as a defender. Surely then his defense would suffice in the forward line? Or is a one off dropping indicative of a continued flaw? I put it to you that if he was a poor defensive player, he simply would not be deployed as a defender at AFL level.

It's more to teach him how to defend and "throw him in the deep end" so to speak. Same with why Macca played Stringer down back at the start of the year, helps their development. Higgins is a senior guy sure but he still has some developing to do, he only had just over 100 games behind him at the start of the year don't forget.

Not sure why we are discussing about Shaun Higgins, he is playing his last game on Sunday for the Western Bulldogs, he is off to Carlton to endure a year of Mick Malthouse, seeya Shaun!

He's gone. Sydney and GWS asked about him, too. Geelong likely though by the look of things.

Higgins can't get picked for us every week so why would the cats want him even for a reduced price

He does not play Geelong football and won't get a game there so unless they paying him very little it makes no sense and won't happen

I put it to you if we were a top 4 side he wouldnt get a game on most of what he has produced this year

I put it to you if we were a top 4 side he wouldnt get a game on most of what he has produced this year
He did produce when he played in a top 4 side though. According to this board he was in our best 5-7 players for most of the year if we went by our voting.
I'm a bit confused because one argument is he was carried because we had a top 4 side, the other is he isn't good enough to be in a top 4 side.

Higgins played exceptionally well as a midfielder/forward in preliminary finals, the notion that he wouldn't fit into a top 4 side is absolute horseshit.

I'm far from his biggest fan, but geez he's unfairly maligned at times.

Hope its not Geelong. They won't overpay (unlike Carlton and North). We need Shaun to go get as big a deal as he can drum up to protect our compensation.

We're talking about Higgins here, not Colin Sylvia. He'll fit into any best 22 in the league. Will he be a top 10 player in all of them? No, but he'll comfortably fit in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back