Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to be the biggest Higgins fan you'd get, but I really don't care what happens now. Would I like him to stay? Yes. But I certainly won't be losing sleep over it.

We need to actually use this pick well though. Trading away our Harbrow pick for Sherman still makes me sick.

Everyone wanted Sherman at the time and it was a real coup we beat Sydney to the punch and convinced him we were the club of choice. I felt awesome about it when we got him.

Shame that the problems he had in Brissie werent Brissie; he just wasn't very good ......<sadface>......

I thought Sherman was actually pretty good for the Dogs for the most part. He was one of the leading goal scorers and was leading in goal assists for a while. Until the whole racism thing. Then it was all down hill.

Imagine if they had have secured Andrew Walker instead. It was between those two at the time. Oh well. Hindsight.

Higgins has had a positive year overall. He's gotten through without injury which is the main thing for him to have achieved this year.

He transitioned well into a new position and showed he could defend and give us some leadership back there. His form has tapered, as has most of the squads, but let's not forget the injury that he's coming back from and that surely he will be better for the run next season.

I still hope he stays.

I still hope he stays too, but we shouldn't put a mortgage on the farm trying to keep him if he wants to go.

I think his overall 2014 form and contribution has been a positive for us and that some of the posters in here are taking a dim view of his last month or so which has been at a lower standard. If that is because his head is not in the right space and he is already thinking about leaving, then he should not be playing this weekend against GWS. But otherwise, of course he is in our best 22.

Considering the expectation is he is on 350-400 a year and people say the offers in front of him are around 450, does that tempt people to keep him? I guess the other thing is, we could get a Crameri-style signing for 450k again. But is there any players available that are as good as Higgins? I'd also say if the horrifying rumour of Reid for 700-800k is correct, I hope we can keep Higgins just so that does not occur.

That was not looking at the fact I think keeping Higgins would be good for the club generally, age, skill, fact he is a free agent and all that jazz.

Considering the expectation is he is on 350-400 a year and people say the offers in front of him are around 450, does that tempt people to keep him? I guess the other thing is, we could get a Crameri-style signing for 450k again. But is there any players available that are as good as Higgins? I'd also say if the horrifying rumour of Reid for 700-800k is correct, I hope we can keep Higgins just so that does not occur.

That was not looking at the fact I think keeping Higgins would be good for the club generally, age, skill, fact he is a free agent and all that jazz.

If Crameri is being overpaid at 450K (of which there is some debate), then Higgins definately would be at that level and Reid would want to be the bloody Messiah for 700 - 800K. This of course highlights the issue with FA, but of course - there are no problems with the current system as it only favours the rich and powerful clubs....

Higgins for 350 - 400K per year for 2 years - fine - keep him by all means. For over that (either in duration or salary), it increases the risk we lose someone we really want to keep in a few years.

Mattdougie If you new Higgin's connections at Geelong, as I do. I am not surprised at all, that Geelong, would be interested in Higgins. Mattdougie maybe this what a lot on BF poster's have been waiting for, they will be hoping like hell, that you will get Shaun Higgin's name tattooed on your arse.
I think there is a real possibility that you man have shot your mouth off a little early on this one.
Watch this space.

Haha I think in pretty safe seeing that Scott won't play soft outside footballers and that's Higgins DNA

But we will see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Crameri is being overpaid at 450K (of which there is some debate), then Higgins definately would be at that level and Reid would want to be the bloody Messiah for 700 - 800K. This of course highlights the issue with FA, but of course - there are no problems with the current system as it only favours the rich and powerful clubs....
Crameri is about to lead an AFL club's goal-kicking for a 4th year in a row; personally I don't think he's overpaid at all.
If the choice came down to paying Higgins or Crameri $450k, I'd stick with Crameri. He can play a higher-forward lead up role as well as stay close to goal, and his unrewarded running off the ball this year has been quite good.

Higgins uses the ball very well off the HB line but slow, good users of the ball are a lot easier to find than 191cm running forwards who cover 16+ kms per game and often drag the best key defender away from the other developing forwards.
Higgins has been robbed of his natural position that made him a gun as a junior - inside mid.

I thought Sherman was actually pretty good for the Dogs for the most part. He was one of the leading goal scorers and was leading in goal assists for a while. Until the whole racism thing. Then it was all down hill.

Imagine if they had have secured Andrew Walker instead. It was between those two at the time. Oh well. Hindsight.
I remember sitting in IT class at the time listening to Trade Radio (face leaning against my hand, with the earphone strategically fed through my jacket arm and placed in my palm...ahhh high school), with the last-minute kerfuffle surrounding whether we approached Carlton for the Walker trade, or Brisbane for the Sherman trade. At the time I was thinking to myself, "It has to be Sherman, come on, pick Sherman Dogs!" Ridiculous how quickly things turn around.

Crameri is about to lead an AFL club's goal-kicking for a 4th year in a row; personally I don't think he's overpaid at all.
If the choice came down to paying Higgins or Crameri $450k, I'd stick with Crameri. He can play a higher-forward lead up role as well as stay close to goal, and his unrewarded running off the ball this year has been quite good.

Higgins uses the ball very well off the HB line but slow, good users of the ball are a lot easier to find than 191cm running forwards who cover 16+ kms per game and often drag the best key defender away from the other developing forwards.
Higgins has been robbed of his natural position that made him a gun as a junior - inside mid.

I don't think he's overpaid to be honest, but there has been some debate on here and I can name 100% of Essendon fans who believe he is.... He wasn't last year curiously, but something must have changed over summer....

Agree on your assessment on Higgins, for me he's very much in the 'meh' category - not really fussed if he stays or goes... There are others I'd much rather see re-sign....

After injuries his 2014 season has been uninspiring, perhaps 2 reasonable games against Essendon and GSW (wow) but the remainder has been a mediocre mix of inconsistent footy. Really has the potential to be a list clogger in a couple of years

I would love the opportunity for a 2nd round compo pick for him to either on trade or add another youngster

After injuries his 2014 season has been uninspiring, perhaps 2 reasonable games against Essendon and GSW (wow) but the remainder has been a mediocre mix of inconsistent footy. Really has the potential to be a list clogger in a couple of years

I would love the opportunity for a 2nd round compo pick for him to either on trade or add another youngster
Higgins first half to the season was very good, no way has he only played two reasonable games.

I would prefer Higgins to stay and move him up forward since jj and darley are set to fill the void with more game experience

Not convinced he is quick enough to provide real pressure up forward. We have a real supply of medium forwards, just need a quality big man up there

Not convinced he is quick enough to provide real pressure up forward. We have a real supply of medium forwards, just need a quality big man up there
he could now be the gia type player up forward

I really don't know where this "Higgins is soft" stuff comes from. Anyone seen him go back with the flight of the ball this season??

He's slow and composed, which can make him look lazy/laconical, but he ain't no squib.
Absolutely, put his body on the line in front of the gorilla forwards this year week after week.

I really don't know where this "Higgins is soft" stuff comes from. Anyone seen him go back with the flight of the ball this season??

He's slow and composed, which can make him look lazy/laconical, but he ain't no squib.
Higgins is soft has been around for a while, and it's more his style. He looks at his best not when he's getting physical, but when he's distributing the ball on the outside, and that's what most people will see. Ergo, he gets labelled as soft, which he isn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back