Opinion Higgins: On the outer or on the move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummmmike he has done that since day one mate

A very large number of fans have said this and those on here earlier I the year that did got shouted down

People think fans boo him just to get noticed ??

He is lazy and a waste of talent, maybe he can ride another teams coat tails for the rest of his career but I said at the end of last year we should have traded him while we could

I was hoping he'd prove me wrong, but I stand corrected

Unfortunately it's in his dna mate

He was carried by us early in his career coz we were ok but go back and watch the games and he played the same then as now.

I rate him much like ZIEBELL, got the tools but simply isn't and never will be the player they should.

He is a typical Richmond player and nothing would give me greater joy than watching him prance around in the yellow stripe going nowhere

Unfortunately it's in his dna mate

He was carried by us early in his career coz we were ok but go back and watch the games and he played the same then as now.

I rate him much like ZIEBELL, got the tools but simply isn't and never will be the player they should.

He is a typical Richmond player and nothing would give me greater joy than watching him prance around in the yellow stripe going nowhere

Would people agree with this?
-Higgins has lost pace with his injuries, for not an exceptionally quick player anyway that's caused him problems
-His decision making seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes he takes too long with ball in hand, others not enough and just throws it on the boot, causing problems.
-Whilst not a completely soft like a lot of his bigger detractors like to claim, there still is an element of truth in that.
-His game style doesn't suit our team's game style
-The way that modern AFL has changed since he was drafted doesn't suit his game style. He doesn't have time and space and freedom with the ball like the game was played when we were good in 2006/2008-10. The more pressure-on-the-ball-carrier style of the AFL that has shifted in the last 10 or so years has hindered Higgins more so than the average AFL player. The speed of the game has also gone by him, sort of combining point 1 and this point.

Would people agree with this?
-Higgins has lost pace with his injuries, for not an exceptionally quick player anyway that's caused him problems
-His decision making seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes he takes too long with ball in hand, others not enough and just throws it on the boot, causing problems.
-Whilst not a completely soft like a lot of his bigger detractors like to claim, there still is an element of truth in that.
-His game style doesn't suit our team's game style
-The way that modern AFL has changed since he was drafted doesn't suit his game style. He doesn't have time and space and freedom with the ball like the game was played when we were good in 2006/2008-10. The more pressure-on-the-ball-carrier style of the AFL that has shifted in the last 10 or so years has hindered Higgins more so than the average AFL player. The speed of the game has also gone by him, sort of combining point 1 and this point.

It's pretty simple really

When he started he was in a better team and opposition didn't bother to even think about him.

Now we are poor the opposition know he is one of our deliverers off half back so they put pressure on him and his deficiencies that he has ALWAYS had are more apparent.

Sorry to say this but any decent coach would NEVER put him in the back half he doesn't have the ability or desire to play a negative tole

It's pretty simple really

When he started he was in a better team and opposition didn't bother to even think about him.

Now we are poor the opposition know he is one of our deliverers off half back so they put pressure on him and his deficiencies that he has ALWAYS had are more apparent.

Sorry to say this but any decent coach would NEVER put him in the back half he doesn't have the ability or desire to play a negative tole
Yeah damn that Rodney Eade. He was a terrible coach!

He is lazy and a waste of talent, maybe he can ride another teams coat tails for the rest of his career but I said at the end of last year we should have traded him while we could

I've been fairly suss about Higgins or Cooney for a number of years.

But we could never have traded him last year coming off all those injuries. This year has been excellent for his market value. The compo we'll get from him going FA or the trade value we would get out of him this year would far eclipse what we would have gotten from trading him in previous years.

But we could never have traded him last year coming off all those injuries. This year has been excellent for his market value. The compo we'll get from him going FA or the trade value we would get out of him this year would far eclipse what we would have gotten from trading him in previous years.

Agreed. He has actually increased his value with his performances this year, although if he continues to just kick it to the opposition, that'll change pretty quickly as well..

I think our list issues are too great to pass up the opportunity to draft or trade in more players that we need.
We are now not even sure we will have pick 6 particularly if Melbourne trade Frawley and, heaven forbid, get a priority pick. Having one pick then in the top 26 or so is not going to get us very far. Higgins is on the market as far as I'm concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FREE agent Shaun Higgins could still be a few weeks away from deciding his football future, his manager says.

Earlier this year, Higgins put off contract talks with the Western Bulldogs until the end of the season, and interest in the classy utility has grown the longer he has remained unsigned.

AFL.com.au revealed last month that at least four rival clubs were circling Higgins.

Several industry sources outside the Bulldogs suggested this week that Higgins had already decided to leave the Whitten Oval, with North Melbourne and Geelong believed to be leading the race for his services.

The Bulldogs will bring the curtain down on their season on Sunday when they clash with Greater Western Sydney at Etihad Stadium.

Free agents: Who will go and who will stay?

But Higgins' manager, Bruce Kaider of One Management Group, toldAFL.com.au on Tuesday his client was not due to reopen contract negotiations with the Bulldogs until the end of next week.

"There's obviously a negotiation (with the Bulldogs) to be had and depending on how that goes we may well go out to the market place," Kaider said.

"As I've said all along, we have to wait until the season's finished, we need to have that conversation with the Bulldogs.

"We're not due to catch up with the Bulldogs, I think, until the end of next week, so once we have that conversation then we'll get a better idea of where things are at and what we're doing.

"That's not to say we won't continue to have that conversation for a few weeks to try and get a deal done."

Kaider said he had been approached by opposition clubs interested in Higgins, but had not had "any dialogue" with any of them.

"I know there's lots of rumours out there at the moment, but with all the clubs that have approached us we've made it pretty clear that we're going to hold off and wait until the end of the season," Kaider said.

"Our intention is to talk to the Bulldogs first and then take it from there."

It is understood the main sticking point in the Dogs' negotiations with Higgins earlier this year was the length of their proposed new offer.

The Bulldogs are believed to have put a two-year deal on the table, but Higgins is after a new three-year contract.

Higgins is on between $350,000-$400,000 a season under his existing deal with the Bulldogs, but the level of interest in him could push his price up.

The 26-year-old's career has been plagued by injury.

A broken foot restricted him to three games last season and he was plagued by the groin condition osteitis pubis earlier in his career.

But Higgins has enjoyed a better run this season, missing just two senior games when he was dropped to the VFL in rounds 17 and 18.

Higgins is the only restricted free agent left in the 2014 pool, which gives the Bulldogs the right to keep him by matching the terms of any rival offer.

Opposition clubs cannot make formal offers to Higgins until the free agency period opens on Friday, October 3.

The Bulldogs have played the 186cm utility primarily across half-back this season, but he is equally at home in the midfield or attack.

Higgins was pick No. 11 in the 2005 national draft and has played 128 matches for the Bulldogs and kicked 128 goals.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-26/no-decision-from-higgins-yet

If Geelong give Higgins a contract or even offer him one I will get his name tattooed on my a$$!

The only person that would mention that would be Higgins manager

What a lot a cr@p

Mattdougie If you new Higgin's connections at Geelong, as I do. I am not surprised at all, that Geelong, would be interested in Higgins. Mattdougie maybe this what a lot on BF poster's have been waiting for, they will be hoping like hell, that you will get Shaun Higgin's name tattooed on your arse.
I think there is a real possibility that you man have shot your mouth off a little early on this one.
Watch this space.
If Geelong give Higgins a contract or even offer him one I will get his name tattooed on my a$$!

What a lot a cr@p

What a lot a cr@p
This could get interesting...
What size font? It's gotta be at least as big as the writing on Dustin Martin's neck, right?

Then there's the somewhat unsavoury matter of verification ...:eek:

This could get interesting...
What size font? It's gotta be at least as big as the writing on Dustin Martin's neck, right?

Then there's the somewhat unsavoury matter of verification ...:eek:
We'll get one of the female posters to verify. Or does that count as sexual harassment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back