Hint on new TV deal for A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they can compete with the commercial networks. Also going by their comments on A-league, it seems like the relationship between them and the FFA has somewhat broken down.

Very interesting. Can only hope that the recent success of the Asian Cup has sparked interest in the game and the other broadcasters are keen to get involved.

Would be great to see a few of the networks bidding to try and drive the price up. Thought the ABC did a reasonable job for the Asian Cup but with the pressure and threat of reduced government funding, you'd think it would need to be one of the bigger commercial networks (7, 9 or 10 that) that go for it.

Anyone but seven. Does everyone forget when they got the rights in the 90s then deliberately went out of their way to try and bury the sport? It's a shame that SBS are going through the issues they have but they have just been overtaken by Pay TV and let it happen. Completely agree with the point about the FFA and them not getting along...how did they not have the rights to the Asian Cup.

Still, no more Craig Foster. Every cloud etc....

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...ock-programming-upheaval-20150319-1m28og.html
After gaining the free-to-air rights to show A-League matches from 2013, SBS surprisingly opted to initially show live games only on SBS 2.

Despite an upgrade to the primary channel this season, the residual impact of the original decision remained, with ratings hovering either side of 100,000 viewers nationally.
Nothing to do with the lack of interest from neutrals who do not already have foxtel. I guess if there was an el classico level of skill displayed every Friday ratings would stay where they are this season because SBS broadcast the league on SBS 2 last season.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...ock-programming-upheaval-20150319-1m28og.html

Nothing to do with the lack of interest from neutrals who do not already have foxtel. I guess if there was an el classico level of skill displayed every Friday ratings would stay where they are this season because SBS broadcast the league on SBS 2 last season.

Not sure what the point you're trying to make here BORK.

Of course you'd expect more viewers if the competition was a higher standard. Similarly you'd also expect better ratings if the games were broadcast on one of the other networks given SBS (as a whole) generally only gets about 5-6% of the total TV viewing audience watching their programing and SBS2 only makes up 1.5% of that (going of last Friday's figures).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling if another network picks the A-League rights up, the games won't be shown live on the primary channel but farmed out to one of the secondary ones. FFA would definitely be trying to push for games to be shown on a main channel but might not have the chips to bargain with.

I get the feeling if another network picks the A-League rights up, the games won't be shown live on the primary channel but farmed out to one of the secondary ones. FFA would definitely be trying to push for games to be shown on a main channel but might not have the chips to bargain with.

This is what I don't understand. I want all sport on the secondary channels so it's in HD. Everyone has digital TV now, so primary channel supremacy doesn't make sense to me anymore.

In the post-analogue era, does this even matter any more? It shouldn't. Happy for it to be on any channel as long as it's FTA

10 is the only commercial network I want to get it, 7 & 9 have commitments to AFL & League so will run second fiddle to them.

Would imagine more people would watch on a 7mate or GEM then are on SBS at the moment.

7 wouldn't be bad (the past is the past) as their summer sport schedule (aside from the Tennis) is fairly open.

I'm not sure what the difference in viewers across the primary and secondary channels are but I'm guessing the FFA would just be hoping to have games shown live on the primary channels because they think it will give the game more exposure to viewers otherwise (as others have said) there probably isn't much point given most people have access to digital TV.

10 is the only commercial network I want to get it, 7 & 9 have commitments to AFL & League so will run second fiddle to them.

We play predominantly in the off season though? 10 has the big bash, 9 has the cricket and 7 has the tennis, those are the sport's real competitors.

Would imagine more people would watch on a 7mate or GEM then are on SBS at the moment.

7 wouldn't be bad (the past is the past) as their summer sport schedule (aside from the Tennis) is fairly open.

Come to think of it... I wouldnt mind the A-league on channell 9s 2nd channel gem. They play Rugby league games on sunday in Adelaide on gem

Remove this Banner Ad

Back