Mega Thread Hird Appeal dismissed by Full bench of the Federal Court 30/1- Hird will not appeal. Details in OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardie up early today

Almost Doc Martin ‏@MartinHardieUni 14m14 minutes ago
An oldie on contract and fundamental rights & it's relevant to more than sport http://www.deakin.edu.au/research/stories/2013/05/13/justice-in-sport…

Almost Doc Martin ‏@MartinHardieUni 12m12 minutes ago
The AFL rules do not contain powers of compulsion but of cooperation - quite a difference http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/nsw/NSWSC/2012/400.html…

Probably went for an early morning paddle to ponder the neo liberal injustices of the world.

Spot on.
Moving forward AFLPA may want to revisit and bargain changes to the players contract, but that's all there is folks.

What becomes really interesting is the next stage and possible range of punishments that will be seen to be fair by the wider community, and acceptable to the EFC.....

Why is acceptable to the EFC a consideration here?

Them appealing to CAS and CAS upholding the verdict (or even turning around and giving them an even harsher penalty) would settle a lot of the likely rumblings (from both sides).

Apparently it's a catch-all term used for people who advocate a free market, bugger all regulation, Lazze faire policy, conservative politics ......that kind of thing.
What is has to do with this saga is completely beyond me.

In Hardie's 'mind' (for want of a better description) it has everything to do with a 'Big Brother' conspiracy - that the AFL, ASADA, the Federal Government and the Judicial framework have all conspired to 'get' at the EFC and James Hird. Such proponents normally end up, unfortunately and sadly, so consumed by their misguided beliefs that they end up with a warped view of the world supported by very little reality - and a prescription for Valium.

Spot on.
Moving forward AFLPA may want to revisit and bargain changes to the players contract, but that's all there is folks.

What becomes really interesting is the next stage and possible range of punishments that will be seen to be fair by the wider community, and acceptable to the EFC.....
I see no login in the acceptability to the EFC.

If the AFLPA had any shred of an ethical standard (no much seen in the AFL) they would focus more on the education of players and less on changes to contract to make PED use safer for players.

I actually don't mind the Robbo article. Don't get me wrong, it's clear he's had a few pints beforehand, but he does give Jimmy a fair whack. Particularly with the tennis score analogy and the contempt shown to him by the judges (which we otherwise wouldn't know about).

He then spoke from a Hird perspective, which was a pretty romanticised view, but echoes the public statements. I suspect Hird is more grasping at straws because he knows he's stuffed.

It's no Walkley winner but for once he has told it like it is.

#UnpopularOpinionsThread
Mentioning Robbo and the Walkleys in the same post too far!

Bringing in the spin doctors was about the dumbest thing they did in this whole affair. The moment the punters find out your employing a spin doctor is the moment that the public's trust and goodwill is replaced by cynicism.
You'd get no argument from me on that point.

Bringing in the spin doctors was about the dumbest thing they did in this whole affair. The moment the punters find out your employing a spin doctor is the moment that the public's trust and goodwill is replaced by cynicism.
No in a crisis like this you definitely need PR advisors to ensure what you say is not twisted by the media. But Hirdy/EFC didn't like the advice they were getting and sacked their advisors and brought in the Liberal Party attack dogs. That was the mistake IMO.

Can you please explain it to me

Hardie is a self confessed ex-Communist. His definition of neo-liberalism would be similar to this http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=376

In particular all the stuff about the UN, IMF and the rest running the world on behalf of capitalists.

So Hardie's tweets are basically; the court is a patsy of the 'them' running everything and chose to ignore the law and rights etc to deliver a decision that suited multi-national caplitalist governments in their aims of oppressing us all in the interests of the 1%.

Basically people like Hardie want a word that throws the conservatives and liberals into the same bucket. That is a word that puts Liberal and Labor as being the same enemy.

The diffuculty nowdays is trying to tell extreme lefties from extreme righties. I mean we are in a world where Paul Little, one of Australia's 1% is in common cause with Martin Hardie who believes the 1% are trying to rule the world. And both regard themselves as victims of neoliberalism and governments :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo is going isn't he? I remember his insight during the Middleton trial. Much more learned and informative than Chris K.

BONUS: He throws in cricket and poker analogies so the rest of us can pretend we understand. :thumbsu: :hearts: :diamonds: :spades: :clubs:

Makes me relieved the tribunal is hearing behind closed doors. "ASADA

No-one would face a major public issue without advice on how to communicate their position. The "public" believes some rubbish about the profession, ironically because someone with a media megaphone told them to.

No in a crisis like this you definitely need PR advisors to ensure what you say is not twisted by the media. But Hirdy/EFC didn't like the advice they were getting and sacked their advisors and brought in the Liberal Party attack dogs. That was the mistake IMO.
I have it on very good authority that Essendon refused to accept Lukin's original advice to come clean and admit everything. From then on the Essendon PR became a cluster * of massive proportions that was made worse by Hird engaging Hanke - two different sets of messages coming out, there was some common ground but enough differences to create a perception of disunity at Essendon.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

PR advisors in such situations are needed- and I realise there's a thin distinction between that and spin doctoring- but from my point of view the problem with the PR strategy is how much it chopped and changed.

Changing midstream was disastrous.

From the Essendon Board and Football Dept perspective, who actually hired the spin doctors, the whole incentive is to keep the membership onside or else the whole party is over.

When they were caught red handed getting the Club into the s**t, they, are the enemy the membership strains their eyes on.

The hired spin doctors job is to shift the blame to a different enemy.

That is the whole purpose.

In the eyes of (a largish, but probably diminishing now) portion of the membership , the enemy tag was shifted to the AFL, ASADA and Media.

For the outside public, spin just kills you dead.

But for the insiders, the hirers of the spin, the Members were the immediste problem that had to be kept onside.

They couldn't be kept onside with the truth, so spin is the automatic second option.

But the point also is, if you change tack midstream, it gives off the unmistakable stench that you don't even believe half of what you're saying.

If you stick to one strategy- whether that be one stream of complete belligerence or complete submission/cooperation- it at least exudes some conviction, which in turn might mean some people maintain the benefit of the doubt.

Dithering and chopping and changing is disastrous.

From the Essendon Board and Football Dept perspective, who actually hired the spin doctors, the whole incentive is to keep the membership onside or else the whole party is over.

When they were caught red handed getting the Club into the s**t, they, are the enemy the membership strains their eyes on.

The hired spin doctors job is to shift the blame to a different enemy.

That is the whole purpose.

In the eyes of (a largish, but probably diminishing now) portion of the membership , the enemy tag was shifted to the AFL, ASADA and Media.

For the outside public, spin just kills you dead.

But for the insiders, the hirers of the spin, the Members were the immediste problem that had to be kept onside.

They couldn't be kept onside with the truth, so spin is the automatic second option.
an understandable tactic that may have kept fans onside during the saga, but will result in a far greater loss of faith should player bans result

PR advisors in such situations are needed- and I realise there's a thin distinction between that and spin doctoring- but from my point of view the problem with the PR strategy is how much it chopped and changed.

Changing midstream was disastrous.

The PR HAD to change midstream, because the situation changed midstream.

The "phys edders" Dank and Robinson were originally to wear the black hats. When they wouldn't accept that and made public TV and Print threats, PR had to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back