Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by lonna
anyone know who wacked him??

Mcphee see article here:

McVeigh nose what it's like
10:05:41 AM Thu 15 January, 2004
Samantha Lane
afl.com.au
Mark McVeigh understands what it’s like to mess with Essendon captain James Hird’s face, so he had real sympathy for teammate Adam McPhee, who broke Hird’s nose in a mishap at training on Wednesday.

McPhee accidentally elbowed his skipper in the face during a light session at La Trobe University, but the consequences were far less serious than when McVeigh and Hird met head-on against Freo at Subiaco Oval in 2002.

That incident caused multiple facial fractures which required intricate surgery to Hird’s face and seven weeks of rehabilitation.

This time round, Hird managed to keep training though there was no body-contact allowed.

“I was rapt that it wasn’t me this time, but he’s a tough bloke, so I think he’ll be able to handle it,” McVeigh told Sport 927 about the latest accident.

“Hirdy wasn’t too happy, but I think he’s going to be okay.”

“It’s one of those things that wasn’t good at the time, but certainly we can laugh about it now and he jokes about it more than me.”

McVeigh’s part in the Subi clash with Hird clearly rocked his confidence in 2002, but he enjoyed an impressive 2003 season, working in the midfield and being handed new roles in defence.

“That was a move that was available with Mark Johnson going into the midfield. I put my hand up for it and they showed enough faith in me to do it. I had an okay year, and it was good. I’m just looking at working on that again, and hopefully just having a bigger and better year,” he said.

The 23-year-old, who has also been used as a small forward, is now determined to stick it out in the back half for the Bombers.

“It’s too hard to get a kick in the forward line with Lloydy (Matthew Lloyd) and Hirdy! I’m really enjoying the backline, so I really want to stay down there and make a good go of it.”

“I’m happy there, but Sheeds has got plans for me to go to the midfield, so if I can pinch in the midfield and go back I’d be happy to do that,” McVeigh said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back