Opinion Hird's Suspension: the positives

Remove this Banner Ad

PressureCooker

All Australian
May 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always been a glass half full kind of guy and now that Hird's suspension is (almost) over, I've thought about a few of the positives that have/could come of the situation:
  • The club stated today that Hird's role for the remainder of the season will be to prepare for 2015, in terms of list management, planning pre-season and recruitment. Giving the head coach at least a month's head start on other clubs in this manner can only be a positive.
  • A number of ex-coaches over the years have said that the second time round coaching they felt more comfortable in the job and more in control. Although technically not a second time coaching, in terms of different club, the year off could serve as a timely break for Hird to allow him to refresh, take a step back and reassess and refine his coaching methods, both man-management and tactically.
  • No doubt there is a burning fire within him now more than ever to coach the club to its 17th flag. I'm hoping this will also be reflected by the playing group in 2015 once Hird resumes.
  • He now has a killer tan, without medicinal assistance.

• No doubt there is a burning fire within him now more than ever to coach the club to its 17th flag. I'm hoping this will also be reflected by the playing group in 2015 once Hird resumes.
This is the one.

Hirdy's never been one who fails to achieve what he wants to achieve, but I can't imagine he's the sort to respond to people pissing him off with anything but basically going Super Saiyan.

That is what got him/us in trouble in the first place

This is the one.

Hirdy's never been one who fails to achieve what he wants to achieve, but I can't imagine he's the sort to respond to people pissing him off with anything but basically going Super Saiyan.
Can somebody with photoshop skills please make this into a picture?

This is the one.

Am I showing my age by having to Google what this meant?

Battle Of The Planets was probably the equivalent of my childhood
Oh god, you really are showing your age. Nothing will beat Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, Digimon and Cheese TV growing up for me. The One Piece and Harry Potter through my adolescence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh god, you really are showing your age. Nothing will beat Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, Digimon and Cheese TV growing up for me. The One Piece and Harry Potter through my adolescence.

I turn 38 in a couple of months. My edit above probably gives a bit more perspective. Battle Of The Planets would've been a 1982 - 1987 type thing for me I guess. Looks dodgy as * now, was awesome at the time.

Anyways, back on topic, I think it is great that the club have nipped this in the bud ASAP so to not give the slimeball media a chance to misread the situation (again).

Man, Hirdy is going to be one motivated Mofo when Round 1, 2015 rolls around!

Anyways, back on topic, I think it is great that the club have nipped this in the bud ASAP so to not give the slimeball media a chance to misread the situation (again).

Man, Hirdy is going to be one motivated Mofo when Round 1, 2015 rolls around!

Do you think he can whip the boys into a season long frenzy in the manner Sheedy did for the 2000 season?

Old bastard here, you're not alone.

Snap 1.

Battle Of The Planets was probably the equivalent of my childhood

EDIT: At least in rural South Australia where we got shows a year or 3 late

Snap 2. Loved it.

I turn 38 in a couple of months. My edit above probably gives a bit more perspective. Battle Of The Planets would've been a 1982 - 1987 type thing for me I guess. Looks dodgy as **** now, was awesome at the time.

Pffft, youngster ;)

I don't know, but I imagine having to be one of the players stitting there at that 1999 GF was ******* brutal. Sheedy you genius / campaigner!
I still remember the camera during the telecast panning to them sitting there high in the stands.

Glum is not a strong enough word to describe the looks on their faces. Looked like hardened molten lava was weighing them down.

We all felt the same.

I've always been a glass half full kind of guy and now that Hird's suspension is (almost) over, I've thought about a few of the positives that have/could come of the situation:
  • The club stated today that Hird's role for the remainder of the season will be to prepare for 2015, in terms of list management, planning pre-season and recruitment. Giving the head coach at least a month's head start on other clubs in this manner can only be a positive.
  • A number of ex-coaches over the years have said that the second time round coaching they felt more comfortable in the job and more in control. Although technically not a second time coaching, in terms of different club, the year off could serve as a timely break for Hird to allow him to refresh, take a step back and reassess and refine his coaching methods, both man-management and tactically.
  • He now has a killer tan, without medicinal assistance.
Correction to the 18th flag. He wont start until we win this year :)

I turn 38 in a couple of months. My edit above probably gives a bit more perspective. Battle Of The Planets would've been a 1982 - 1987 type thing for me I guess. Looks dodgy as **** now, was awesome at the time.
Buck Rogers would have been floating around at that time or am i really showing my age.

This is the one.

One of the primary reasons I want him back as coach - he's so friggin sure of his own abilities he'll kill himself to achieve his end goals.

Buck Rogers would have been floating around at that time or am i really showing my age.

What do you mean 'was'? He's still going strong!

176121.2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back