Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what tests they do for recreational drugs? Are they even obliged to report to clubs when a player tests positive for a rec drug? What are the procedures around this? Obviously ASADA is more interested in performance enhancing stuff

I wonder what tests they do for recreational drugs? Are they even obliged to report to clubs when a player tests positive for a rec drug? What are the procedures around this? Obviously ASADA is more interested in performance enhancing stuff
ASADA isnt involved in the AFL's illicit drugs procedures. If, as like Wendell Sailor said he did in South Africa about 8-10 years ago, take cocaine on Wednesday night and give a piss sample straight after the game and the cocaine comes up positive, then that is an ASADA - PED related drug test sample and if an AFL player did what Sailor, did he would get a 2 year PED ban. From an ASADA blog earlier this year.

Blog: Setting the record straight—ASADA and the AFL’s illicit drugs policy
30 June 2015
In today’s Adelaide Advertiser there was a report about the Australian Football League’s (AFL) illicit drugs policy. The story contained certain assertions and inferences about ASADA’s involvement with the AFL’s illicit drugs program that has led to confusion amongst readers.

The article reports that the AFL pays ASADA to run its illicit drugs program and three‑strike policy.

In fact ASADA is not involved in the design and implementation of the AFL’s illicit drugs program and three strike policy. Further, ASADA is not involved in the enforcement of the AFLs illicit drug policy.

The AFL’s illicit drugs program involves private contracted sample collection companies and is carried out independently from ASADA. ASADA is not generally informed of the outcomes of the illicit drug testing program and is certainly not specifically advised as to specific players testing positive to illicit substances.

ASADA’s role is to apply the World Anti-Doping Code (the Code) in Australia. The central aim of the Code is to prevent, detect and enforce breaches of anti-doping violations. This is to prevent athletes from having an unfair advantage over their opposition by using performance-enhancing substances. The Code does not replicate the criminal law in relation to policing the use of illicit drugs as opposed to performance-enhancing substances. That said, under the Code, if a player is found to have a prohibited stimulant (such as cocaine), which is also classed as performance‑enhancing, present in their system on match-day, they may face an anti-doping rule violation.

ASADA conducts its testing program in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code’s International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI). This means that ASADA selects athletes for testing and decides when and where testing takes place without direction from the sport.

The AFL, like a number of other sports, contracts ASADA to conduct user-pays testing for performance-enhancing substances. This testing is conducted as per the ISTI and is not associated with the AFL’s illicit drugs testing program. ASADA determines which players are tested for performance-enhancing substances under this program.

Last edited:
ASADA isnt involved in the AFL's illicit drugs procedures. If, as like Wendell Sailor said he did in South Africa about 8-10 years ago, take cocaine on Wednesday night and give a piss sample straight after the game and the cocaine comes up positive, then that is an ASADA - PED related drug test sample and if an AFL player did what Sailor, did he would get a 2 year PED ban. From an ASADA blog earlier this year.

30 June 2015
In today’s Adelaide Advertiser there was a report about the Australian Football League’s (AFL) illicit drugs policy. The story contained certain assertions and inferences about ASADA’s involvement with the AFL’s illicit drugs program that has led to confusion amongst readers.

The article reports that the AFL pays ASADA to run its illicit drugs program and three‑strike policy.

In fact ASADA is not involved in the design and implementation of the AFL’s illicit drugs program and three strike policy. Further, ASADA is not involved in the enforcement of the AFLs illicit drug policy.

The AFL’s illicit drugs program involves private contracted sample collection companies and is carried out independently from ASADA. ASADA is not generally informed of the outcomes of the illicit drug testing program and is certainly not specifically advised as to specific players testing positive to illicit substances.

ASADA’s role is to apply the World Anti-Doping Code (the Code) in Australia. The central aim of the Code is to prevent, detect and enforce breaches of anti-doping violations. This is to prevent athletes from having an unfair advantage over their opposition by using performance-enhancing substances. The Code does not replicate the criminal law in relation to policing the use of illicit drugs as opposed to performance-enhancing substances. That said, under the Code, if a player is found to have a prohibited stimulant (such as cocaine), which is also classed as performance‑enhancing, present in their system on match-day, they may face an anti-doping rule violation.

ASADA conducts its testing program in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code’s International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI). This means that ASADA selects athletes for testing and decides when and where testing takes place without direction from the sport.

The AFL, like a number of other sports, contracts ASADA to conduct user-pays testing for performance-enhancing substances. This testing is conducted as per the ISTI and is not associated with the AFL’s illicit drugs testing program. ASADA determines which players are tested for performance-enhancing substances under this program.

Explains alot about cousins getting away with it for as long as he did.

No diff , illegal , same as performance enhancing
No PED's are not necessarily illegal. They may be banned from sports use, but they aren't all illegal substances, most are prescribed pharmaceuticals.

No PED's are not necessarily illegal. They may be banned from sports use, but they aren't all illegal substances, most are prescribed pharmaceuticals.

Cocaine is a prescribed pharmaceutical, an illicit substance and may be a PED. Crickey!

Cocaine is a prescribed pharmaceutical, an illicit substance and may be a PED. Crickey!
Who is allowed to be prescribed cocaine these days? I know before the 1953 UN Convention on drugs the US rammed thru, it and heroin was used in pharmaceuticals.

Who is allowed to be prescribed cocaine these days? I know before the 1953 UN Convention on drugs the US rammed thru, it and heroin was used in pharmaceuticals.

A fun fact to consider. Cocaine was used for pain management in the late 1800s. Doctors got addicted to it. So what did they do to treat cocaine addiction? Heroin!

A fun fact to consider. Cocaine was used for pain management in the late 1800s. Doctors got addicted to it. So what did they do to treat cocaine addiction? Heroin!
Haha I knew about part a but not part b.

ENTs routinely use it for sinus surgery. It lowers post-op pain and bleeding.

Cocaine was used in some cough mixtures prior to this. It was rumored that Janice Joplin was addicted to said cough syrup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually have a story about this. I had a vein cauterized in my nose as it would bleed profusely every time I wiped my nose. I had a job interview and medical a week later and I tested positive to cocaine. They refused to tell me what my results were but quizzed me "are you sure you aren't on anything?" after the results came back. I was like "nah."

It only occurred to me later what had happened. The employer suddenly didn't want a bar of me after paying to send me for my medical.

Haha do they require patients to snort it after surgery. :cool:

Some of you will have access to the Advertiser or Herald Sun and can read this in full there. There are two stories today about Daniel Chick and prescription drugs heavily recommended and easily distributed to West Coast players by club officials leading them to get hooked and then move onto illegal drugs.

These are the prescription drugs talked about in the stories

94ed6275ed007f6764c9bbebc46bd2bc

If when you look at the links they are behind pay walls, type the first paragraphs into Google if you have Chrome and then right click the story and chose the - open link in incognito window - option.

Eagles Drug Bombshell - Drug Use Rife for Eagles High Flyers
Daniel Chick, breaking a decade-long silence on the club’s dark underbelly, says powerful asthma pills, Xanax, Sudafed, Stilnox and Valium were among drugs sometimes provided through the Eagles, that were abused by several players.

He also said: “One staffer even ushered a player out the back door that he knew would fail a drug test. He said the player was not at training and was home sick. ’’The staffer also covered for a player found by police in possession of Valium. And some club doctors would hand out stimulants caffeine tablets and Sudafeds, before the game and again at half time, he says.
Eagles Drug Bombshell - Drug Use Rife for Eagles High Flyers

The club probably started off trying to help players with handling the long haul travel WA players had to make only for it to go way overboard as a blind eye was turned. Go back to the start of this thread 3 years ago and thats what was said very early on. The blind eye, the almighty W over an L means you do anything to win, you do anything to play as you always hear players say.

I went from the family club to the freakin' playboy club and it ruined my life
WHEN the Eagles and Hawks take to the field this Saturday there’ll be one spectator in the grandstands who knows all too well the price some players are willing to pay for premiership glory.

A BIG time gangster leaned over the table and stared. “You’re not going write a book, are you, Chicky?” The infamous underworld figure spoke like it was a question, but coming from him, Chick knew it was an order. This man, one of the most active and connected organised crime figures in Australia, has evaded the law for decades. He knows how to keep people quiet.

I went from the family club to the freakin' playboy club and it ruined my life

Edit found this on the main board

178711_085c352c0944d5906c2f02f4bb27e517.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still stunned the WCE have not received the same attention from authorities as the Dons
Blind eye turned by the AFL. The Australian Crime Commission which got the coercive powers of star chamber after the Wood Royal Commission into bent NSW coppers, teaming up with ASADA under Project Aperio, and producing the Organised Crime and Drugs In Sport, meant the AFL had to address Essendon. They couldnt sweep that under the carpet and control it like the WCE situation. But like most things in life, stuff eventually gets out. Sometimes it takes 50 to 75 years under the Official Secrets Act, but other times it takes less especially when individuals harmed have a gut full.

Stilnox is good s**t.

I do not think the family of Mairead Costigan would agree with you.

Blind eye turned by the AFL. The Australian Crime Commission which got the coercive powers of star chamber after the Wood Royal Commission into bent NSW coppers, teaming up with ASADA under Project Aperio, and producing the Organised Crime and Drugs In Sport, meant the AFL had to address Essendon. They couldnt sweep that under the carpet and control it like the WCE situation. But like most things in life, stuff eventually gets out. Sometimes it takes 50 to 75 years under the Official Secrets Act, but other times it takes less especially when individuals harmed have a gut full.

No sympathy what so ever for Daniel Chick. You make life decisions and live with the consequences but you have to wonder how many of those in the WCE structure circa 2006 are still connected with the game. Ross Lyon, who was coaching St Kilda in 2007, gets a mention and you wonder how he knew and how much he knew. Maybe it is time for that carpet to be lifted?

If the AFL is dinkum about substance abuse there needs to be a full investigation and if a case is proved the WCE need to be stripped of their 2006 flag. That will not happen of course but it should.

I note that the WCE have branded Chick's story as a sham designed to derail their 2015 AFL Premiership campaign. Does that make them a bunch of campaigners? ;)

Back page of today's Monopoly Times, Ken McGregor feels cheated and wonders if the Crows were a better side than the WCE in 2006. In the the Crows case we know they are a bunch of campaigners.:)

Last edited:
I personally don't like the attacks on Chick regarding the timing of the news story. I wonder when Chick made the comments? I trust the Herald is the one responsible for the timing and not Chick.

I wonder if Chick will comment about heroin, cocaine etc and I wonder if any comments will be made about administrations personal habits? Fish do rot from the head.

I also wondered if Ken Judge was pushed out the door because he informed administration of the drug issues? If that was the case, are they liable?

perhaps its all too late and no one cares but the players themselves and the administration will have to take ownership of the dead, the drug fkd and the broken. This impact is not limited to the players but their wives, parents, children, broader families, friends and of course society.

All I'm suggesting is perhaps we shouldn't shoot down guys like Chick, perhaps we should listen. We might have something to learn and better understand his motivations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back