Roast How do we get the club to act on the Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

some of you may have noticed that the club uploaded a video of the cheer squad on facebook. its incredibly cringe worthy. its starting to be shared around as a joke and is copping a pasting

i know we've been complaining about how bad it is for a number of years now, so i'm wondering what do we need to do, to get the club to do something about it

ITK's/those with a connection to the club (Moorabbin Ghost stavro#4 BrianSpeaking GJD23 ) is there anything happening on that front/anything we can do?

some of you may have noticed that the club uploaded a video of the cheer squad on facebook. its incredibly cringe worthy. its starting to be shared around as a joke and is coping a pasting

i know we've been complaining about how bad it is for a number of years now, so i'm wondering what do we need to do, to get the club to do something about it

ITK's/those with a connection to the club (Moorabbin Ghost stavro#4 BrianSpeaking GJD23 ) is there anything happening on that front/anything we can do?
What are you doing about it ? Other than asking others what they're doing about it

What are you doing about it ? Other than asking others what they're doing about it

i live in perth mate, so unless your happy to pay for my airfare and accomodation each week then i guess i will have to sit this one out

i'm also 30+, hardly a place for an old bloke like myself, which i guess is part of the issue i suspect. some dont know when to move on

i live in perth mate, so unless your happy to pay for my airfare and accomodation each week then i guess i will have to sit this one out

i'm also 30+, hardly a place for an old bloke like myself, which i guess is part of the issue i suspect. some dont know when to move on

The last part I totally agree with. A cheer squad should be for the kids and teenagers with maybe 2 or 3 older people in it to help run it. We shouldn't have 50 year plus men and women in there.

I think there are trees in Bolivia being pushed over we should start an initiative to revegatate these habitats . Donations on game day etc

Couldn't really care what the cheer squad do, great to see those feral a-league donkeys shitting up another AFL post but

some of you may have noticed that the club uploaded a video of the cheer squad on facebook. its incredibly cringe worthy. its starting to be shared around as a joke and is coping a pasting

Hi mate,

The club will be starting a new initiative in round 2 against the Bulldogs for Rooey's 300th. They will have signage up around the ground/on the big screen to get not just the cheer squad but all Saints fans to chant this version of OWTSGMI;

I think this is going to be incredible if everyone gets behind it. It'll be similar to Collingwood's Tottenham Hotspurs chant (come onnnn youuu spurrrrssss) and IMO will be more intimidating for the opposition hearing that from a packed Eithad.

Apart from that just a bigger and better home game experience for the fans, building on what the club did last year. But if this chant kicks off - look out!!

Hi mate,

The club will be starting a new initiative in round 2 against the Bulldogs for Rooey's 300th. They will have signage up around the ground/on the big screen to get not just the cheer squad but all Saints fans to chant this version of OWTSGMI;

I think this is going to be incredible if everyone gets behind it. It'll be similar to Collingwood's Tottenham Hotspurs chant (come onnnn youuu spurrrrssss) and IMO will be more intimidating for the opposition hearing that from a packed Eithad.

Apart from that just a bigger and better home game experience for the fans, building on what the club did last year. But if this chant kicks off - look out!!

great start!!! with the saints junction initiative, will there be a link to the cheer squad to try get more youth in there?

I sat in the row next to them. They have a whole bank of booked up seats and about 4 people actually there. My sone and his friend where there with a flag from the saints shop and put more effort in than the cheer squad. they are the most stand offish group you could find. we go to melbourne city games and their supporter group will come and ask you to hold up flip cards and stuff and make them selves look bigger. Yesterday I was embarrassed to sit near them. It's like a circus. the Dees had at least 10 times the cheersquad. My kid and his friend both 10 were laughing at how crap the cheers were but still banged along with them, there was at least a 100 people near by that could have been asked over to make them look bigger.

i still say they should approach bayside schools and get them in to making banners and give them 3 rows in the cheersquad with their folks or a junior footy club.

great start!!! with the saints junction initiative, will there be a link to the cheer squad to try get more youth in there?
I dunno about any of that but I'm positive they have 'game day experience' highlighted on their list of to-do's.

I sat in the row next to them. They have a whole bank of booked up seats and about 4 people actually there. My sone and his friend where there with a flag from the saints shop and put more effort in than the cheer squad. they are the most stand offish group you could find. we go to melbourne city games and their supporter group will come and ask you to hold up flip cards and stuff and make them selves look bigger. Yesterday I was embarrassed to sit near them. It's like a circus. the Dees had at least 10 times the cheersquad. My kid and his friend both 10 were laughing at how crap the cheers were but still banged along with them, there was at least a 100 people near by that could have been asked over to make them look bigger.

i still say they should approach bayside schools and get them in to making banners and give them 3 rows in the cheersquad with their folks or a junior footy club.

couldnt agree more mate. go to a bayside highschool, give them a block of tickets, help them make the banner and signs etc. get a player or two to go down and help them

then engage with them from then on, retaining them in the cheer squad in a couple weeks time. do this with enough schools, get a core group and then do the meet ups at linen house on thursday night

suddenly it looks and sounds a whole lot better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the powers that be really loved the look and sound when they opened up level 1 next to cheer squad to all members last year (against Swans I think?). It's definitely at the top of the list, to make our home ground feel more like our home ground. I think most AFL cheer squads are pretty much the same, I find them cringe worthy personally but you can't deny they do put in a lot of work.
There are a group of people working to make the cheer squad and the whole ground be more organised and more
"St Kilda".

For the last 6 years we have refused tickets with them when in Sydney, and either got coterie tickets or AG and took our chances.
A very unwelcoming and prickly group, if I were to be unkind a cantankerous bunch of old women.
A couple of years ago we were in Canberra for a game against the Giants, fully kitted in Saints gear (despite being dual members) we ran into a few of them at the Mint in the morning before the game. In that situation as club ambassadors you'd at least expect them to be friendly, instead they looked at us as though we were trying to seal their role.
I've posted here and elsewhere, and written to the club personally about how poorly they reflect on the membership when interstate (NFI what they are like at home).
Some WD40 in there wouldn't go astray for mine

Our cheer squad is borderline on par with Gold Coast and GWS. North Melbourne's behind the goal section makes ours look sparsely populated.

Definitely need to do something but I think it's up to the club to make the cheer squad more inclusive. Looks like they're on the right track going by MG and GD's posts but based on yesterday's showing we have some way to go.

For the last 6 years we have refused tickets with them when in Sydney, and either got coterie tickets or AG and took our chances.
A very unwelcoming and prickly group, if I were to be unkind a cantankerous bunch of old women.
A couple of years ago we were in Canberra for a game against the Giants, fully kitted in Saints gear (despite being dual members) we ran into a few of them at the Mint in the morning before the game. In that situation as club ambassadors you'd at least expect them to be friendly, instead they looked at us as though we were trying to seal their role.
I've posted here and elsewhere, and written to the club personally about how poorly they reflect on the membership when interstate (NFI what they are like at home).
Some WD40 in there wouldn't go astray for mine

That sounds about right, we often sit next to them (because my kids likes marking stray balls I think) -some guys last year were doing a bit of an alternative cheers squad next to where we were sitting, it nearly had the old cheer squad going nuts. At least the other guys were creative and humorous and not lame. It's like a cabal of depressing people with insecurity issues (the existing one). If they came and said to all the kids sit down front and fill empty spaces it would at least make us look popular.

Our cheer squad is borderline on par with Gold Coast and GWS. North Melbourne's behind the goal section makes ours look sparsely populated.

Definitely need to do something but I think it's up to the club to make the cheer squad more inclusive. Looks like they're on the right track going by MG and GD's posts but based on yesterday's showing we have some way to go.
To be fair, GWS squad is small but one of the best, always vocal and inclusive, not sure what your judgement is based on but personal experience seems unlikely

To be fair, GWS squad is small but one of the best, always vocal and inclusive, not sure what your judgement is based on but personal experience seems unlikely

You got me there, certainly not personal experience. Was meant to be more of an attack on St Kilda, as with our numbers we should have a larger cheer squad the Giants. Sounds like we could take a leaf out of their book if so.

I'm not sure a whole of stadium cheer squad fixes this one. It's so much a part of the game and is the focus after nearly every goal. I was actually hoping they would stop showing ours it was so depressing. The chants....OMFG they suck, Jacky Billing clap clap clap, Jacky Billings Clap clap clap sung with so little enthusiasm it make you want to sink down in your seat.

Hi mate,

I love the choice of video but this phrase
Collingwood's Tottenham Hotspurs chant (come onnnn youuu spurrrrssss)
made me physically ill.

I'm not sure a whole of stadium cheer squad fixes this one. It's so much a part of the game and is the focus after nearly every goal. I was actually hoping they would stop showing ours it was so depressing. The chants....OMFG they suck, Jacky Billing clap clap clap, Jacky Billings Clap clap clap sung with so little enthusiasm it make you want to sink down in your seat.

It's like those packed games where it would be a sell-out except for the MCC/Medallion Club. But it's behind the goals, gets a heap of television time, and the chants they come up with are as you say borderline cringe worthy.

How was our cheer squad back in 04-05 and 09-10? Perhaps it'll pick up as we start winning again.

I know the powers that be really loved the look and sound when they opened up level 1 next to cheer squad to all members last year (against Swans I think?). It's definitely at the top of the list, to make our home ground feel more like our home ground. I think most AFL cheer squads are pretty much the same, I find them cringe worthy personally but you can't deny they do put in a lot of work.
There are a group of people working to make the cheer squad and the whole ground be more organised and more
"St Kilda".

If they turn up. Other clubs have volume both physically and sonically. It is the focus of the TV camera after every goal and if it looks dead it's actually a bad look for the club. The Sydney game was a good start. What about they offer a competition where as a door prize for the best dressed or most obscenely decked out fan they get tickets in the exclusive s**t bit next to the cheer squad on ground level for them and a partner? Hand out a paper banner or flag to hold up to all ground level patrons?

Hi mate,

It had better be better than "make some noise" which just falls flat at the ground. they need to play some music and build up atmosphere. A bit of the Saints are coming by U2 and Green Day and some Hives, Song 3 by blur ...get the crowd fired first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back