Roast How do we get the club to act on the Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

football is nothing like it used to be, obviously, i mean it's bad enough with all these ridiculous rule changes every year, like players not being able to bump anymore without getting rubbed out for weeks and getting these ridiculous fines just for getting into a bit of a scuffle, taking so much passion out of it for fans and players alike in my opinion, not to mention so many teams focusing on defence and stopping opposition scores (ross lyon i'm looking at you) and winning games by kicking ten goals and making it incredibly boring to watch, that's all crap enough as it is, but the thing i miss most is the atmosphere. i'm only 20 now so i never got to see the saints play down at moorabin and the animal enclosure but i've seen the videos and my god it's majestic. but even as a young kid going to a packed telstra dome, or 'dome of doom' as the saints used to refer it as, with a packed crowd in of around 50,000 to see a young up and coming st kilda side defeat the reigning 3-peat premiers in brisbane by a point is one of the greatest memories i have. the crowd went nuts! the cheer squad used to be pretty good from what i can remember, even in our better years of 09-10 they weren't bad. but as the saints on field performances decreased in quality, so too did the cheer squads. and it seems that as the saints once again are on the rise, the cheer squad has been left behind because they are putrid and quite embarrassing to be honest. they've had the same boring chants for years and years now, and it's time for a change. they're non inclusive or accepting of other people and their ideas for how it can be improved, not to mention that not once in the last 5 years has it been full for a single game - with the acceptance of maddie's match last year. by effecitvely 'sacking' the current cheer squad and getting a new group of fresh faces and ideas, somewhat of a good atmosphere can be restored at st. kilda games. we are a proud club with a proud history and i am sick of it being represented by our current cheer squad who make next to no effort whatsoever to get others involved or create a genuinely fun experience for everyone. the thing is, if you replace the cheer squad and get a new one in that can create a new, fun experience for fans more and more people will slowly come through the gates as our on field performances improve and a better atmosphere is created, and therefore membership numbers and revenue will naturally increase. how one would go about this in the process of potentially assembling a new cheer squad i don't know, but surely it's time for a change. come on saints, we're better than this.

rant over.

Taking the dangerous bump out is one of the best things we have done in footy. Matter of fact most of the rule changes have only helped footy. As for atmosphere well I can assure there were many shocking games at Moorabbin and Waverley where you could hear a pin drop. The reason the games seem boring at Etihad now is we aren't any good. It had a great atmosphere when we were winning. The cheer squad suffers from the same problem as the rest of the crowd. Lack of numbers and interest due to poor form. We need new CS members and they must be young. Let a few older people run it and use some of the ideas mentioned in this thread to improve.

Without waffling too much..our CS is a mess. I know one young guy in it who is desperate to see change and make it more professional, visual and well run...but hes up against a bunch of cliques and immature kids. Sad but it needs the Club to come on board and very nice and subtlety bang some heads together. Needs a complete rebuild.
Agree totally its a thing for young people, but to attract young people you have to be seen as being cool..our CS is about as uncool as is humanly possible.

Watch the Rich Port game the other night? People voluntarily sat behind the goals rather than on the Wing cos their CS is fun and loud to be with. THats what we need to aim for.

Yeah there are obviously some passionate people but there is some kind of odd power structure. Maybe the club could appoint some one to oversee and manage these people to gain the most efficient and most appealing group to a range of people.

football is nothing like it used to be, obviously, i mean it's bad enough with all these ridiculous rule changes every year, like players not being able to bump anymore without getting rubbed out for weeks and getting these ridiculous fines just for getting into a bit of a scuffle, taking so much passion out of it for fans and players alike in my opinion, not to mention so many teams focusing on defence and stopping opposition scores (ross lyon i'm looking at you) and winning games by kicking ten goals and making it incredibly boring to watch, that's all crap enough as it is, but the thing i miss most is the atmosphere. i'm only 20 now so i never got to see the saints play down at moorabin and the animal enclosure but i've seen the videos and my god it's majestic. but even as a young kid going to a packed telstra dome, or 'dome of doom' as the saints used to refer it as, with a packed crowd in of around 50,000 to see a young up and coming st kilda side defeat the reigning 3-peat premiers in brisbane by a point is one of the greatest memories i have. the crowd went nuts! the cheer squad used to be pretty good from what i can remember, even in our better years of 09-10 they weren't bad. but as the saints on field performances decreased in quality, so too did the cheer squads. and it seems that as the saints once again are on the rise, the cheer squad has been left behind because they are putrid and quite embarrassing to be honest. they've had the same boring chants for years and years now, and it's time for a change. they're non inclusive or accepting of other people and their ideas for how it can be improved, not to mention that not once in the last 5 years has it been full for a single game - with the acceptance of maddie's match last year. by effecitvely 'sacking' the current cheer squad and getting a new group of fresh faces and ideas, somewhat of a good atmosphere can be restored at st. kilda games. we are a proud club with a proud history and i am sick of it being represented by our current cheer squad who make next to no effort whatsoever to get others involved or create a genuinely fun experience for everyone. the thing is, if you replace the cheer squad and get a new one in that can create a new, fun experience for fans more and more people will slowly come through the gates as our on field performances improve and a better atmosphere is created, and therefore membership numbers and revenue will naturally increase. how one would go about this in the process of potentially assembling a new cheer squad i don't know, but surely it's time for a change. come on saints, we're better than this.

rant over.
FFS man, use paragraphs.

Greater liaison is required between the Interstate supporter groups and the CS too. Totally understandable that a lot of CS members cant travel to every Interstate game..but the numbers seem really low at Interstate venues because the local supporter groups are seated miles away from them and don't seem to seek any volunteers to come sit with the CS and bolster their numbers...or if they do they get very little takeup. Hobart in 2014 we sat right next to them (admittedly in not great seats at the front of the hill in the forward pocket) and there wasnt more than a handful of them. Meanwhile up in the stand to our side there were dozens and dozens of local Saints fans. Same thing happens at Metricon, where travelling fans from Melbourne ended up helping with the banner.

Join the squad and wave a flag, make up chants and cheers. Stop bitching and help change it. Yes, I am apart of the squad, I wave a big flag, I start chants, I try my hardest every game, we don't always have great numbers and all I hear is people saying negative things about us. Let's wait until round 2, our first home game before you start having another season of having a go at us, instead of judging vision from a practice game.

Hi mate,

The club will be starting a new initiative in round 2 against the Bulldogs for Rooey's 300th. They will have signage up around the ground/on the big screen to get not just the cheer squad but all Saints fans to chant this version of OWTSGMI;

I think this is going to be incredible if everyone gets behind it. It'll be similar to Collingwood's Tottenham Hotspurs chant (come onnnn youuu spurrrrssss) and IMO will be more intimidating for the opposition hearing that from a packed Eithad.

Apart from that just a bigger and better home game experience for the fans, building on what the club did last year. But if this chant kicks off - look out!!

WOWWEE..

That means my idea got up :)

how exciting..

Come on you Saints
Come on you Spurs

COYS!!!

Last edited:
Im a diehard fan from adelaide, and i sat behind the cs when we played at AO with a mate. Literally everyone there was over 50 and majority were old ladies. And ppl were mocking them and it made me embarrassed especially as we were getting flogged ahaha, i am 17 and go to the soccer for united and am in the red army, they make it so fun and inclusive and have plenty of young ppl which you can have fun with. everyone shows passion and it encourages others to do the same. I am also in the sturt cheer squad in the sanfl and we have about 15 ppl but every person has a flag and everyone makes our presence heard which is what the saints cs needs to do. I really hate watching games on tv to see that the cheer squad has barely any numbers and look at the other end where it is full :/ the club needs tp do something to make it more appealing to younger ppl like me

Join the squad and wave a flag, make up chants and cheers. Stop bitching and help change it. Yes, I am apart of the squad, I wave a big flag, I start chants, I try my hardest every game, we don't always have great numbers and all I hear is people saying negative things about us. Let's wait until round 2, our first home game before you start having another season of having a go at us, instead of judging vision from a practice game.

Half time, organise some manner of music over the PA's at the ground, get up and what's that movie chain called where they sing partial covers of things for called? What I'm getting at is of course epic dance off the other cheer squad.

Instant brownie points with the fanbase stops the judging as people are far too busy either facepalming at the absurdity or pissing themselves laughing.

FWIW, opp CS areas aren't that crash hot, I barely notice they're there because it's far too interesting to listen to the mesh of us and them up in the bleachers towards the flanks than patriarchal nonsense.

Im a diehard fan from adelaide, and i sat behind the cs when we played at AO with a mate. Literally everyone there was over 50 and majority were old ladies. And ppl were mocking them and it made me embarrassed especially as we were getting flogged ahaha, i am 17 and go to the soccer for united and am in the red army, they make it so fun and inclusive and have plenty of young ppl which you can have fun with. everyone shows passion and it encourages others to do the same. I am also in the sturt cheer squad in the sanfl and we have about 15 ppl but every person has a flag and everyone makes our presence heard which is what the saints cs needs to do. I really hate watching games on tv to see that the cheer squad has barely any numbers and look at the other end where it is full :/ the club needs tp do something to make it more appealing to younger ppl like me

They may not be inclusive, but does this mean you feel shame and CBF dealing with the inferred shame instead of going "so what, I'm here and I'm going to include myself to make this badarse", as half the problem is that whilst they may seem standoffish and may otherwise give off the aura of being arsholes, there's no reason why you couldn't just add to it instead of just sitting there doing your own thing and otherwise being ashamed.

I mean I have no personal interest in it myself, not my thing, and that's fine, but is it so hard for people to make the decision to include themselves if they think numbers are low and to simply beef it up or are we all too prideful to look like fools for 2 hours 1 day a week? Some people have already made it pretty clear they care not for these people and would rather they move on / get sacked and otherwise piss off, so I struggle to think why they then care what they think about them sitting there or joining in on chants and woe is us? WOE I SAY.

You need to get others involved, it is very unwelcoming and they treat it like it's a special club no one else is welcome to be part of. I saw them throw a guy out who had come and sat in the empty seats even though he was being loud and proud. They got security to move him. If your leader went and arranged near by people to join in instead of scaring people off it might actually grow. I'm glad you guys do it though and I'm sure there are good people following orders.

Here
You need to get others involved, it is very unwelcoming and they treat it like it's a special club no one else is welcome to be part of. I saw them throw a guy out who had come and sat in the empty seats even though he was being loud and proud. They got security to move him. If your leader went and arranged near by people to join in instead of scaring people off it might actually grow. I'm glad you guys do it though and I'm sure there are good people following orders.

Herein lies the rub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contact the club, Would be the best way. If you get a cheer squad membership and go to round 2, let me know beforehand, I will ensure I introduce myself.

Theres the thing....maybe you need a " Try before you buy" policy..rather than demanding ppl buy the membership before they are allowed anywhere near you.
Not sure how you work it around Etihads seating policies...but worth a try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Theres the thing....maybe you need a " Try before you buy" policy..rather than demanding ppl buy the membership before they are allowed anywhere near you.

Maybe allow the people in the Goal Zone area access to fill any free spots as the Goal Zone surrounds the cheer squad anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe allow the people in the Goal Zone area access to fill any free spots as the Goal Zone surrounds the cheer squad anyway.

If you contact the club about seeing if you could sit in the cheer squad to try before you buy, they may allow it,the problem though is being unsure on the number of free seats until match day, only knowing the unsold seats as the area is reserved seating.

If you contact the club about seeing if you could sit in the cheer squad to try before you buy, they may allow it,the problem though is being unsure on the number of free seats until match day, only knowing the unsold seats as the area is reserved seating.
I think everyone knows that there's a swag of empty seats in the CS every home game.
I think you guys need to go to the people, rather than just expecting newbies to gravitate to you. Get on the front foot. .be proactive. ..use social media. .thats the demographic you should be chasing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I think everyone knows that there's a swag of empty seats in the CS every home game.
I think you guys need to go to the people, rather than just expecting newbies to gravitate to you. Get on the front foot. .be proactive. ..use social media. .thats the demographic you should be chasing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
It is the plan for social media to be utilised this year.

that would be a better way for me as i already have 4 reserved seat plus my sons membership.

Easy way to fill cheer squad up
Frog.gif~c200

Unless a pommie group of lads rock up and try and create something like the Merrett thing nothing will change.

Maybe we need a special Saints Visa just for Pommie lads aged under 30 that requires them to go to all Saints games as part of entering the country. Deportation if they miss more than 2 games. Sounds fair. And people won't whinge about more Chinese here lol!

maybe they should invite families with kids to sit with the cheersquad for the day instead of trying to get money out of people. start advertising there is nothing no promotion nothing on the website. they have let it run dry.

Is the Moorabbin Wing still a thing? Get those guys down there.

It probably needs a clean out if we want it to become anything like a real cheer squad, but those people down there have given up a lot of their time to organise the behind the scenes stuff, i.e. the banners etc, and despite the fact they're not particularly welcoming to new members I still feel it would be a bit of an unceremonious dumping.

Maybe the club needs to introduce some game day incentives for people to make up decent chants/getting them started etc.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back