Roast How do we get the club to act on the Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Moorabbin Wing still a thing? Get those guys down there.

It probably needs a clean out if we want it to become anything like a real cheer squad, but those people down there have given up a lot of their time to organise the behind the scenes stuff, i.e. the banners etc, and despite the fact they're not particularly welcoming to new members I still feel it would be a bit of an unceremonious dumping.

Maybe the club needs to introduce some game day incentives for people to make up decent chants/getting them started etc.
Yes the Moorabbin Wing is pretty big, maybe 300 plus strong, Saint66au would know exactly.
And we sit there and not the CS for a reason

The problem with the Moorabbin wing is that you can hear them all around the ground like the cheersquad.

Used to sit there for years but now sit near the "cheersquad"

Join the squad and wave a flag, make up chants and cheers. Stop bitching and help change it. Yes, I am apart of the squad, I wave a big flag, I start chants, I try my hardest every game, we don't always have great numbers and all I hear is people saying negative things about us. Let's wait until round 2, our first home game before you start having another season of having a go at us, instead of judging vision from a practice game.
People aren't just whinging they are looking for suggestions on how to improve the cheer squad.
The problem with the cheer squad lies directly in your post, 'join the squad, wave flags, start a chant.'. How is that going to fix anything? It's not implementing anything new or exciting for people to want to get involved.

As others have mentioned the best way forward for the cheer squad is to get the kids in there. Don't block off all these seats that NEVER get used, open them up and invite people to join in.

Im a diehard fan from adelaide, and i sat behind the cs when we played at AO with a mate. Literally everyone there was over 50 and majority were old ladies. And ppl were mocking them and it made me embarrassed especially as we were getting flogged ahaha, i am 17 and go to the soccer for united and am in the red army, they make it so fun and inclusive and have plenty of young ppl which you can have fun with. everyone shows passion and it encourages others to do the same. I am also in the sturt cheer squad in the sanfl and we have about 15 ppl but every person has a flag and everyone makes our presence heard which is what the saints cs needs to do. I really hate watching games on tv to see that the cheer squad has barely any numbers and look at the other end where it is full :/ the club needs tp do something to make it more appealing to younger ppl like me
I agree, about the only time I've seen them try to include people at games in Adelaide is when they needed people to help hold the banner

It's pretty clear that an independent RWB army needs to created. Recruit peeps before games and on these forums. Organize a block of seats in the stadium and expand accordingly. Everyone chips in for merch, flags, banners, tickets etc. (surely someone has a grandma with sick sowing skills to put a bunch of flags together to save on initial cost) Once the club sees the positive effect this has on match day atmosphere, they may be willing to invest time and funds.
Most Euro soccer teams have multiple 'cheer squads' around the ground creating atmosphere. No reason why it can't be done here.

To improve our cheer squad we have to get rid of reserved seating, that is the reason why there are blocks of seats empty at games. I am happy to present good ideas to the committee on how we can change the way we are perceived by our own supporters. Rather than say just disband and create a new one, I am really wanting to hear constructive ideas that we can implement.

I have had some time to think and I would like to know what you think after each match (especially home games) this season, what looked good, what didn't, how we look when we are in action waving flags as a whole. I believe this way I have something to present the club mid season and at the end of the season. If you have any flag designs or hand held banner ideas please pass them on to me.

To improve our cheer squad we have to get rid of reserved seating, that is the reason why there are blocks of seats empty at games. I am happy to present good ideas to the committee on how we can change the way we are perceived by our own supporters. Rather than say just disband and create a new one, I am really wanting to hear constructive ideas that we can implement.

I have had some time to think and I would like to know what you think after each match (especially home games) this season, what looked good, what didn't, how we look when we are in action waving flags as a whole. I believe this way I have something to present the club mid season and at the end of the season. If you have any flag designs or hand held banner ideas please pass them on to me.
Sounds good! We definitely need to get rid of the reserved seating in the CS area. Lots of flags and banners are needed. Banners saying "Significantly Pleasing!!" (A tip of the hat to Richo) and one that says "Jack did that!!!" and "BAROOOOOSE!" would be great to see. (We have so many up and coming stars that it would be great to see them acknowledged with banner signs in the CS.)

On the whole it needs enthusiastic CS members. Ours always look like they'd rather be somewhere else. And better chants than "we want another one" That is cringe worthy and it always gets laughed at by opposition supporters. We need the opposition supporters to quake in their boots when we're up and going. Not laughing.

Thanks for taking everything on board. I will definitely be offering ideas and constructive criticism as the season progresses. At the end of the day we all want the same thing. For our team to be successful. I just hope the rest of the CS listen to you and are willing to try new things as I recently (at the NAB 3) spoke to someone (who sits in the CS) who when he tried to implement new chants etc the CS refused to sing them. And on the outside looking in the CS don't appear very welcoming.

Hopefully we can all band together and make us a force to be reckoned with!

Great ideas LS...ill pop my 5c worth in...

AFAIK the reserved situation is a Etihad Stadium directive. The Club are forced to sell reserved seats in the Cheer Squad area. The days of it being a walk up area for CS members are gone. is that correct??

So..assuming it is...and you dont have the numbers to fill the area...try and fill it anyway. Invite families who sit nearby to be with you for the day in those spare seats.., let them hold up a sign or wave a flag. Dont act like a secret society. be inclusive and welcoming...THEN ask them to join. Doing it the other way round clearly aint working!

Secondly...USE SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!! the demographic you want use it all the time..so..get your name out there. Facebook, Twitter, Insta, Snapchat..get on it and promote yourselves. Use it to recruit new members not just as a secret page for those already joined. Promote yourselves as welcoming and friendly. Dont just rely on the Club to do the work for you.

LS is spot on about the signs etc..you can fill those empty spots with loads of colour and movement...clever player signs, flags, whatever. Go look at Hawthorn or Richmond's CS..they have heaps and they look great. Look like a Cheer Squad not just a bunch of people who sit behind the goals.

We all want a loud proud and visual CS..but right now we dont..nothing like it. Whatever the structure now isnt working so youre gonna have to open up to new ideas and people..much as some within might not want to

Great ideas LS...ill pop my 5c worth in...

AFAIK the reserved situation is a Etihad Stadium directive. The Club are forced to sell reserved seats in the Cheer Squad area. The days of it being a walk up area for CS members are gone. is that correct??

So..assuming it is...and you dont have the numbers to fill the area...try and fill it anyway. Invite families who sit nearby to be with you for the day in those spare seats.., let them hold up a sign or wave a flag. Dont act like a secret society. be inclusive and welcoming...THEN ask them to join. Doing it the other way round clearly aint working!

Secondly...USE SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!! the demographic you want use it all the time..so..get your name out there. Facebook, Twitter, Insta, Snapchat..get on it and promote yourselves. Use it to recruit new members not just as a secret page for those already joined. Promote yourselves as welcoming and friendly. Dont just rely on the Club to do the work for you.

LS is spot on about the signs etc..you can fill those empty spots with loads of colour and movement...clever player signs, flags, whatever. Go look at Hawthorn or Richmond's CS..they have heaps and they look great. Look like a Cheer Squad not just a bunch of people who sit behind the goals.

We all want a loud proud and visual CS..but right now we dont..nothing like it. Whatever the structure now isnt working so youre gonna have to open up to new ideas and people..much as some within might not want to

In terms of reserved seating, this was implemented by the club, not the stadium. This was done a couple of seasons ago, I prefer when it was walk up as it meant we had the main areas filled, not large empty spots.

In terms of new flags, I am the main one in terms of trying to get new and big flags in the squad, I will have a new one for round 2. Round 2 is the main round for me to make the squad look good to start the season as the first home game. I especially want feedback from this game, mainly from after goals but also how we sound and look throughout the game.

With social media we will be utilising multiple platforms this season, it will be for all to see and I am hoping it will be utilised to bring in new members and give a positive look to our squad.

I have also attached a few photos of my banner and one of my flags, will post my new one after round 2. If you see me at a game feel free to chat in person.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 4
228131_3949ab7ca376f114513e0aa6628d9b72.jpeg

LOL
if you enlarge that Pic and look right near where your hand is holding the flag. In the distance there is a bloke in a Saints Cap(you can see the white on top of the cap). Well thats me:p:p
Sat in that same reserved seat since Colonial/Telstra/Etihad stadium opened up.:thumbsu:

LOL
if you enlarge that Pic and look right near where your hand is holding the flag. In the distance there is a bloke in a Saints Cap(you can see the white on top of the cap). Well thats me:p:p
Sat in that same reserved seat since Colonial/Telstra/Etihad stadium opened up.:thumbsu:

Wow, now you have to come say hi.

In terms of reserved seating, this was implemented by the club, not the stadium. This was done a couple of seasons ago, I prefer when it was walk up as it meant we had the main areas filled, not large empty spots.

In terms of new flags, I am the main one in terms of trying to get new and big flags in the squad, I will have a new one for round 2. Round 2 is the main round for me to make the squad look good to start the season as the first home game. I especially want feedback from this game, mainly from after goals but also how we sound and look throughout the game.

With social media we will be utilising multiple platforms this season, it will be for all to see and I am hoping it will be utilised to bring in new members and give a positive look to our squad.

I have also attached a few photos of my banner and one of my flags, will post my new one after round 2. If you see me at a game feel free to chat in person.

Great stuff mate. As I said we're all wanting the same thing, it's not meant to be a bashing. I sit in the second row to the left of where the boys run out onto the field so if I see you (I dare say I will as I'm near enough to the CS :D) I'll say hi!

As saint66au said. The more banners and flags the better as they hide space and create energy and movement. Hold enough banners up no one will see space. Will look great on the TV too!! Will also entice people in as it looks exciting.

I'm truly hoping you can implement change as the person who I've spoken to really struggled to. I think that's why I got so frustrated about it.

It just has to appear to be inviting and exciting. :)
Looking forward to round 2!! Be great to get a win for Rooey too!
(Maybe a purple #FIGHTLIKEMADDIE banner would be good too actually!!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL
Do you always wear the heritage jumper Snake? I'll keep an eye out for you too. :D

Great stuff mate. As I said we're all wanting the same thing, it's not meant to be a bashing. I sit in the second row to the left of where the boys run out onto the field so if I see you (I dare say I will as I'm near enough to the CS :D) I'll say hi!

As saint66au said. The more banners and flags the better as they hide space and create energy and movement. Hold enough banners up no one will see space. Will look great on the TV too!! Will also entice people in as it looks exciting.

I'm truly hoping you can implement change as the person who I've spoken to really struggled to. I think that's why I got so frustrated about it.

It just has to appear to be inviting and exciting. :)
Looking forward to round 2!! Be great to get a win for Rooey too!
(Maybe a purple #FIGHTLIKEMADDIE banner would be good too actually!!)

If I had the time I would make a #FIGHTLIKEMADDIE banner, I have this flag from last year

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 4
If I had the time I would make a #FIGHTLIKEMADDIE banner, I have this flag from last year
It looks great! Is it used in the regular games too? If not I reckon it should be. :)
If I made banners would they be used? I honestly don't mind but only if they're used each week as its a waste of my time otherwise.

If I can give a flag to help contribute to the CS would they accept? and it wouldn't be a small hand flag it would be Large. Happy to give to someone to use but must use as I am paying a bit for it but want to help.

If I can give a flag to help contribute to the CS would they accept? and it wouldn't be a small hand flag it would be Large. Happy to give to someone to use but must use as I am paying a bit for it but want to help.
Same here Eb. We're willing to contribute and help the CS to achieve the desired outcome but it can't be in vain. Massive flags and banners galore!!

Same here Eb. We're willing to contribute and help the CS to achieve the desired outcome but it can't be in vain. Massive flags and banners galore!!

Awesome work!! If you sit near I can give it to you if you like? If not I am probably just going to walk to the CS area in round 2 and give it to a member to use. It will be this design in a large double sided hand flag. Will look great and hopefully we can keep this building, banners, any saints flags, Pom poms and loud fresh voices is in need and can happen it just needs the heart.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.4 KB · Views: 4
Do you always wear the heritage jumper Snake? I'll keep an eye out for you too. :D
Whooops:oops: thanks for pointing out the heritage jumper Loyal Sainter cos after blowing that pic up even more i realized i made a mistake.
Just next to that guy you can see a mop of grey hair (thats my old Mum) . The Bloke in the pic is a young bloke who sits next to her who always wears that jumper.
I actually sit on the other side of Mum but my boof head is behind Drawzas hand holding the flag .
Bloody Drawzas fat hand has spoiled my 15 minutes of fame :D:p
Anyway, thats a group of 5 reserved seats my family has at that end of the ground. I dont go to all games but when i do im always in one of those 5 seats.
So next game you go to if you look over , im not the bloke in the heritage jumper and im not the little old lady . Ill be the bloke next to her with a beer in his hand:D

Last edited:
Awesome work!! If you sit near I can give it to you if you like? If not I am probably just going to walk to the CS area in round 2 and give it to a member to use. It will be this design in a large double sided hand flag. Will look great and hopefully we can keep this building, banners, any saints flags, Pom poms and loud fresh voices is in need and can happen it just needs the heart.
Hand it to the CS I reckon. But if you can't get to them then message me and I'll get it off you before the game the next week. Looks great!!

But did the Club implement it because the stadium no longer supplied the seats "gratis " to the Saints as they used to?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Whooops:oops: thanks for pointing out the heritage jumper Loyal Sainter cos after blowing that pic up even more i realized i made a mistake.
Just next to that guy you can see a mop of grey hair (thats my old Mum) . The Bloke in the pic is a young bloke who sits next to her who always wears that jumper.
I actually sit on the other side of Mum but my boof head is behind Drawzas hand holding the flag .
Bloody Drawzas fat hand has spoiled my 15 minutes of fame :D:p
Anyway, thats a group of 5 reserved seats my family has at that end of the ground. I dont go to all games but when i do im always in one of those 5 seats.
So next game you go to if you look over , im not the bloke in the heritage jumper and im not the little old lady . Ill be the bloke next to her with a beer in his hand:D
Haha you're a dag. :D

I'm glad we sorted it out now though. Would hate to approach the young fella and say "Hello Snake!" :eek: I'd look like a perv :oops:

I thought maybe I should just yell "SNAKE!" But figured that wouldn't have the desired effect either... We are after all trying to increase numbers in the area not the other way around!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back