How do you rate David Koch's tenure as Port president?

How do you rate David Koch's presidential tenure?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He took over a club which was so bad there was legitimate risk of it ceasing to exist and had it a kick away from a flag within 2 years. Pretty good job to pull that off.

This crazy bad era were 2 seasons where we finished 16th and 14th. I know Essendon might consider that successful, based on 2015 and 2016 where you finished 15th then 18th. That's dead last.

Many teams have been shitter than we were, for longer. Just in the last decade and a bit Essendon, north, west coast, gold coast, Melbourne...

Made port relevant again in a short period of time. He can't control on field much but off field they seem to be doing well
Much of the improvement off field has come from moving to Adelaide Oval. Think moving from Waverley to the MCG, or from Subiaco to Optus Stadium.

This was approved with funding in May 2011.

Koch joined Port Adelaide's board in Oct 2012.

No doubt he had a commercial acumen and and public presence, but also was given a situation that you almost couldn't get wrong.

Onfield, fantastic for 17 teams, other than Port. Port don't really have any former footballers in management, probably why they stuck with the currently equal biggest failure coach Daddy Donuts, and he will become the biggest failure outright, this weekend. But I think financially Port are more stable and have almost eradicated their debt under his tenure, but he inherited that from the Adelaide Oval move and SANFL license hand over.

Conveniently ignore point A, then ignore point B and then resort to comparing us against perhaps the worst team to step on the field in the AFL era.

Is that really meant to be your red herring?

A quick glance at AFL Tables crowd figures indicates an increase across the board in the last decade basically across every state. Guess that’s down for Kochie and Ken as well.
Crowds were flat lining for years up until 2019, and then we had two years of no crowds in 2020 and 2021.
Crowds have gone through the roof from 2022 onwards, because so many people have been hungry for live footy action after two years of lockdowns.

Anyway, back to my original point.
Port have closed the gap between themselves and the Crows since Koch arrived, surely he deserves credit for that?

Some may laugh, but both he and Ken have provided much needed stability for a club that was on the brink before they arrived, and together, they have reignited the passion from within.

Kochie may not overseen a Premiership (to date), but I don't think anyone can question his commitment to the cause. An excellent and highly passionate president without a doubt. images (45).jpeg

Last edited:
Off field he has done great, even if a few of those developments were instigated by those before them.

If half of their future plans around financial stability and investment in the precinct come to fruition (which is always a big ask with Koch) then the club will be set up for off field success for generations to come.

On field he unfortunately has NFI and has listened to the wrong people.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port fans that want him gone should be advocating for him to become the next AFL chairman. Which he is in the line for and will be better than Mr invisible Richard Goyder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will answer as though this question has been posed directly to me. I don't rate Koch's presidency because I never give it any thought. My opinion of Koch is of similar regard.
Living in SA I had a lot of respect for Port, but I feel the club no longer seems like the one I hated growing up. It feels to me they are a long way away from what they used to be.

Failure, a lot of the good work was done pre Koch, has failed to deliver a Premiership and at Port Adelaide and being Port Adelaide people, that is all we judge Success and Failure on. Our core business is the game of football itself, Members and Merch Sales all feed off the back of the ultimate team success.

I think he has been really good, port were an absolute joke on and off field before he took over, he helped make them relevant again.
People forget that when Koch arrived at Port, they were in a worse spot than North find themselves today.
North may be struggling to win games, but they are debt free, member controlled and free from pokies.

Port on the other hand were in serious danger of being liquidated due to their crippling 10m+ debt.
I remember the news reports from 2011 talking about Port having no money and how they had to be saved by being bailed out with $$.

People forget that when Koch arrived at Port, they were in a worse spot than North find themselves today.
North may be struggling to win games, but they are debt free, member controlled and free from pokies.

Port on the other hand were in serious danger of being liquidated due to their crippling 10m+ debt.
I remember the news reports from 2011 talking about Port having no money and how they had to be saved by being bailed out with $$.

port were never in serious danger and weren't close to the nothingness of North. someone just brought this up the other day. North over the last 5 years makes our worst 5 years look like a dream. the money problems stemmed from a poor deal that the AFL was never going to let kill us, they let us break away from the crippling stadium deal of west lakes and find solutions which we did!

Does it matter? I read on here he is done for

wbjNju3.png

turned one of the great working class footy clubs into a vanilla AFL franchise
That is wrong .

Port Adelaide in 2011-2 were in dire Straits.

In 2012, port Adelaide averaged less than 20,000 people at home games. Port fans blame this, blame that.

They blamed the SANFL saying that the SANFL got 75-80 percent of the ticket sales money. That is wrong.

Port Adelaide struggled because your band wagon fans didn't rock up.

They rocked up in 2014 at Adelaide oval.

David Koch, Ken Hinkley and Keith Thomas saved your club

The GOAT footy club president
I can't like your post enough mate. Port fans are fickle and spoilt.

Port were a mess in 2010-12. Yeah port haven't won a flag under Ken Hinkley coaching era.

5 finals wins in 12 years isn't bad.

I mean , Port Adelaide could easily of been as bad as North Melbourne right now

I can't like your post enough mate. Port fans are fickle and spoilt.
Gotta be bait.
Port were a mess in 2010-12. Yeah port haven't won a flag under Ken Hinkley coaching era.
They won the premiership less than 10 seasons earlier in 2004 and made a grand final only 5 seasons earlier. They haven't been relevant since 2007.
5 finals wins in 12 years isn't bad.
That's just a Bizarroworld observation. Reality is - lack of success isn't good.
I mean , Port Adelaide could easily of been as bad as North Melbourne right now
Collingwood were also abysmal at 17th place in 2021, went on to win the premiership in 2023. If North Melbourne stick with Clarkson and do a proper rebuild, I'd tip North Melbourne to at least make a grand final before Port does again.

Back