Port Adelaide won't rebuild under David Koch

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, it seems like all of the non Port fans who want PAFC to re-sign Ken Hinkley are trolls at this point.

His record in finals just does not stand up to scratch.

Brad Scott got more finals success with far less talented players and resources at North than Ken at Alberton..

He has been there long enough.

He should have gotten Port into 2 Grand Finals with the players he has had over time.

He wouldn't last even half as long at a big Vic Club with that kind of poor finals record tbh
In fairness, you could have made the exact same argument about Chris Scott prior to last year.

David Koch should have stuck to talking shite on a morning show. Has shown he has no business running a football club.

Oh, and take your buddy Hinkley with you when you walk. 11 years of failing to make a Grand Final. Not one other club in the league would still have him as coach after this long. He is a loser.

It sounds like its a done deal, and the club is awaiting a win to announce it. Problem is that we may not win for the rest of the year. What happens if we have a straight sets exist out of the finals?
August should be over by then at least.

It sounds like its a done deal, and the club is awaiting a win to announce it. Problem is that we may not win for the rest of the year. What happens if we have a straight sets exist out of the finals?

I think the only way Port supporters should respond to that is cancel their membership/not renew their reserved seats if that happens.

This has the potential to honestly blow up in Koch's face ..

I think the only way Port supporters should respond to that is cancel their membership/not renew their reserved seats if that happens.

This has the potential to honestly blow up in Koch's face ..

I am considering this even though I love going to the footy. I would probably regret it too if I committed as my membership package guarantees grand final access if we ever made it.

Honestly, it seems like all of the non Port fans who want PAFC to re-sign Ken Hinkley are trolls at this point.

His record in finals just does not stand up to scratch.

Brad Scott got more finals success with far less talented players and resources at North than Ken at Alberton..

He has been there long enough.

He should have gotten Port into 2 Grand Finals with the players he has had over time.

He wouldn't last even half as long at a big Vic Club with that kind of poor finals record tbh
Not sure Brad Scott’s stint at North is the beacon of success anyone should be aiming for.

Him propping the club up with retreads to play finals but never really contend is a major reason why their list is so rooted, their last four years are close to the worst in recorded history.

If you want to see how this works out, see North Melbourne (2000-2015)
Or Geelong 2007-2022.

North were never really 'up' for any sustained length of time. They were mediocre for a long time, and just continued to be mediocre. And then their mediocre players retired and they'd forgotten to blood new ones, and "oh s**t we're falling off a cliff".

And they won't be for a very long time.

Under 25's
-------------
Rozee, Butters, Houston, Power-Pepper, Drew, Marshall, Duursma, Georgiades, Jones, McEntee, Jones, Horne-Francis.

One could argue Boak and Jonas have effectively been replaced within the past 12-18 months.
While Dixon will be a loss, they're pretty much stacked for key position forwards.

Bring in Ratugolea (25 years with plenty of upside) and couple of others, they are doing what Geelong have done for so long and remaining competitive without ever having to fall away.
Great list being wasted by a s**t coach.

Sack Ken.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many grand final appearances during that time?

The point of rebuilding is to build a premiership team. I would rather finish bottom 4 for a few years and then win a flag, than never make it to the big dance but always win over 10 games a season. I guess it depends whether you ‘exist to win premierships’ or exist to finish above a rebuilding Crows team.

You don't see the irony in your post?

Who cares about contrived stats like “never won’t less than 10 games” or “haven’t finished bottom 4” or “finished above the Crows”? These are the stats you turn to when you haven’t won a flag for 20 years. How can Koch talk about not rebuilding when they have not built a premiership side since 2004? Port are hardly an example of sustained success. At least Big Jack had a few premierships behind his words.

Cats weren't succeeding with their strategy until last year either. Some of the metrics are used are pathetic, but I think there's merit in the overarching strategy. They're looking at 3 top 4 finishes in the last 4 years, they're giving themselves a chance by having built a list beyond making up the numbers regularly in the bottom half of the top 8.

Cats weren't succeeding with their strategy until last year either. Some of the metrics are used are pathetic, but I think there's merit in the overarching strategy. They're looking at 3 top 4 finishes in the last 4 years, they're giving themselves a chance by having built a list beyond making up the numbers regularly in the bottom half of the top 8.
Cats had been close to winning a flag or 2 between those flag years of 2011 and 2022. Made a few prelims in that period.

You could argue if they won certain preliminary finals such as 2013, 2016 and 2019, they would of went on to win the flag.

They made the grand final in 2020. They were close for 3 and a 1/2 quarters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk of a succession plan has been in the news lately.
Do you think Carr is the right person to be Port's next coach? Or would an outsider be preferred?
Whether he’s the right man or not. Calling a succession plan two years out is just not a good way of operating.

Every appointment should involve a comprehensive search an analysis a la how Collingwood chose McRae

David Koch is a great president because Port have never bottomed out during his tenure.

Only the great clubs don't bottom out - look at my own club, we haven't finished bottom 4 since 1986 and have never finished below 12th.

Whether he’s the right man or not. Calling a succession plan two years out is just not a good way of operating.

Every appointment should involve a comprehensive search an analysis a la how Collingwood chose McRae
Port did this after they sacked Primus and no one wanted to coach them, so they ended up with Hinkley who was last man standing.

Port finally understanding how to footy.
Rebuilds are for pleb clubs.

Be a refresh on the run club and never bottom out.
That should be their aim. Enough talent in the draft if you can find it.

It should be the aim of every club but luck plays a big part.

Carlton were the last club that famously never rebuilt and in 2000 we looked so smart after backing in the list when everyone said we were too old and needed to blow it up.

But luck turns and we had what was in hindsight a shocking run that included some of the worst injury luck you will see, some draft luck (we had 3 picks in the top 15 of a weak 2000 draft), a coaching handover just at the wrong time, and a level of cockiness that surely pissed off the footy gods.

And in many ways a very long period of success left the club utterly unprepared for fortunes to turn. There was no one there who knew how to rebuild or even how to handle upset fans...

Which isn't to say that clubs shouldn't try and stay up as long as they can. It is certainly easier to rebuild from the top when you can put young players in postiions to succeed rather than throwing them to the wolves. But father time is undefeated and the wheel will turn, eventually

Port finally understanding how to footy.
Rebuilds are for pleb clubs.

Be a refresh on the run club and never bottom out.
That should be their aim. Enough talent in the draft if you can find it.
It should be the aim of every club but luck plays a big part.

Carlton were the last club that famously never rebuilt and in 2000 we looked so smart after backing in the list when everyone said we were too old and needed to blow it up.

But luck turns and we had what was in hindsight a shocking run that included some of the worst injury luck you will see, some draft luck (we had 3 picks in the top 15 of a weak 2000 draft), a coaching handover just at the wrong time, and a level of cockiness that surely pissed off the footy gods.

And in many ways a very long period of success left the club utterly unprepared for fortunes to turn. There was no one there who knew how to rebuild or even how to handle upset fans...

Which isn't to say that clubs shouldn't try and stay up as long as they can. It is certainly easier to rebuild from the top when you can put young players in postiions to succeed rather than throwing them to the wolves. But father time is undefeated and the wheel will turn, eventually
David Koch is a great president because Port have never bottomed out during his tenure.

Travis Boak is the only player remaining at Port who was at the club before Koch, so it's been a fantastic effort by Port to have built an entirely new list during Koch's tenure while winning a minimum of 10 games every year.

How many grand final appearances during that time?

The point of rebuilding is to build a premiership team. I would rather finish bottom 4 for a few years and then win a flag, than never make it to the big dance but always win over 10 games a season. I guess it depends whether you ‘exist to win premierships’ or exist to finish above a rebuilding Crows team.

So are you happy to go through what North Melbourne has gone through since round 1 of 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back