Society & Culture How Do You Survive The Week Working a 9 to 5?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a great job, but there is a lot of s**t that goes along with it that people don't quite get. It is a job you really do bring home with you. Very rewarding though.

Lots of people bring their job home with them.

Don't even start on this old chestnut. There are not that many other jobs where you have to work on your holidays.

Lol says who? I get calls at all hours of the day and night. I get calls when I'm on holidays (which are rare) I get calls where I need to leave home. My brother as a physio gets calls from patients constantly. We both receive work calls on weekends. How many calls do you average a day as a teacher?

Not to mention weekends planning and organising. We don't have RDO's like a lot of other jobs, or overtime for the extra hours we do. We can't take holidays whenever we like either.

Can anyone really take holidays "whenever they like" ? I know I can't.

I wonder if you have ever been out to dinner with your misses for a nice meal when someone you are doing work for (a parent in this case) has pulled up a seat and sat at your table then started talking about the things you should be doing in order to do your job properly (teach her daughter).

Similar yes.

Hi Adam,

Excellent question and one Dr Goile is fit to reply.

I've worked as manager at Sip'n'Save 60 hours a week for the past 4 years, and, yes, it does get boring after a while.

Theres a few things I like to do to keep myself occupied, and here are some suggestions I'd like to pass on to you.

- Do you have a girlfriend? If so, try and spend more time with her. Nothing worse than going home with your mates and all they wanna do is drink goon and play FIFA. Your girlfriend will look after your needs.
- Take your girlfriend out for lunch everyday.
- Find out what your girlfriend enjoys doing. Maybe she likes dogs, maybe buy a dog to take your mind off things.
- If your girlfriend doesn't deliver, try a fleshlight.

Regards, Dr. Goile.

Fryingpan, sounds like you are taking it in the butt with your job, start shopping around for a new one!

A bulk of it would be planning/organising and meetings. would also get there earlier for the same stuff. I'd imagine sharing an office with other teachers of your kind (pe or classroom) and as HBG said coordinating the next days work and organizing / preparing for future events like school sports etc. You'd also have to take notes on students behavior and work ethic and probably typing or storing them on a computer for reports.

Yes. I know the basic premise of being a teacher. I'm interested in specific examples that are causing him to stay at work until after 6PM.

It's either a case of chronic time mis-management or being left to shoulder the entire load by himself. Admittedly, as a high school teacher you get free periods in which to plan and can often do some planning and correction in class, but, apart from school organised events I have never been at school past 6 (unless I was playing bball with the year 10s and 11s).

High school maths teacher must be pretty sweet. Textbook is all set, all you have to do outside of class is set and mark a few exams. No lesson plans, no essays, no assignments.

I give the maths teachers a bit of s**t, saying I could teach it anytime they need me as I know all there is to it. You walk in, tell the students the page number, then "left side now, right side for homework". :p

Yes. I know the basic premise of being a teacher. I'm interested in specific examples that are causing him to stay at work until after 6PM.

It's either a case of chronic time mis-management or being left to shoulder the entire load by himself. Admittedly, as a high school teacher you get free periods in which to plan and can often do some planning and correction in class, but, apart from school organised events I have never been at school past 6 (unless I was playing bball with the year 10s and 11s).

I do most of my planning and correcting after school. It is almost impossible to do it any other time. When you have kids in your class at grade 5/6 level and kids in your class at grade prep/1 level and a whole lot in between, you pretty much have to plan three sets of work.

Then there are meetings and parents coming in to see you after school. The extra late ones are usually special events like Parent teacher interviews or concerts or camp meetings...

Secondary is very different to Primary. Most of my Secondary teaching mates get out pretty early too.

Lots of people bring their job home with them.

Lol says who? I get calls at all hours of the day and night. I get calls when I'm on holidays (which are rare) I get calls where I need to leave home. My brother as a physio gets calls from patients constantly. We both receive work calls on weekends. How many calls do you average a day as a teacher?

Can anyone really take holidays "whenever they like" ? I know I can't.

Similar yes.

People may bring work home but a lot of it is physical work. A ton of teaching is the mental side of things. I can't imagine you waking up at 4AM wondering what you are going to do about the kid that has just told you he is worthless and that nobody wants him.

And yes most people can take holidays when they desire.

Camps are an interesting one too. There would not be many otherjobs where for a period of it you are literally working 24/7. You get home from a 3-5 day camp with 9-12 year olds and you brain just hurts because you have been alert the whole time.

I'm not complaining, I signed up for it and I love it. Just having a go at the people who really don't quite understand what is involved... And you know what, they wouldn't last a session.

I imagine teaching and planning would easy compared to putting up with other people's kids a-hole kids. I wouldn't last a week without belting one of the little shits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back