How does the club use Rioli from this point onwards?

I would like to see Rioli.....

• Play 100% as a forward

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • Play 100% as a midfielder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play 50/50 forward/mid

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Play 75/25 forward/mid

Votes: 80 61.1%
  • Play 75/25 mid/forward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be rested for the H&A season to be 100% fit for Finals. Why take a risk?

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sparingly & never 4 games in succession....Also, most times if the game is done & dusted by 3/4 time would like to see him subbed, as it is usually in the 4th quarter when he does his hamstring!
My thoughts exactly.

Managing his loads and fatigue should be no 1 priority.
Consecutive games compound the fatigue level. So a 3 on, 1 off schedule should allow a purge of the accumulated fatigue in those balsa wood strings keeping him below his threshold.
Heavy tracks can be a week off also...

Have to admit I am surprised at the lack of Kinesio tape given Cyril's history.

I would like to see us use Cyril as a permanent small forward alongside Puopolo next year. If Rioli is fit and playing well in the side, it then allows us to use Breust in the midfield more often. He could become a Robbie Gray type player Luke Breust and dominate in the midfield and up forward. We saw during the first half of 2014 just how good Breust is when he's allowed to play as a midfielder/half forward.
Yeah this is spot on. Bruest still has much upside and could very well bring a robbie gray like game to the table if given more time in the midfield. Has unbelievable balance, burst of speed and a devastating side step that continually gets him out of trouble. Rioli assuming more of a forward role certainly won't allow any opposing coach get any more sleep.

Cyril is such a brilliant player and such an ornament to the game, the AFL should have a duty to do the research to sort out his hamstrings.

If Cyril's working his magic, it brings the crowds in.

Perhaps some the $millions heading to Sydney and GWS should be diverted to hamstring research?

Typically his hamstring is fine. How many times has he done it? 4 or 5 in 133? Nearly every one of these has been when the weather is extremely cold or the ground very wet.

Play him as often as anyone else, just not when it is overly wet or cold.

I trust Clarko to use Cyril and the rest of the team appropriately.

I just saw the highlights of round 3 against Freo. How the hell did his mark and goal not get mark of the year? Way better than Wingard IMO.

I find this question so hard to answer and it's not surprising it is endlessly asked on this forum. There are so many ifs to this. Injury form says play him forward but Clarko chucking him in the guts at the opening bounce of the GF was a masterstroke. Didn't even get the ball that much but caused the biggest sh&t yourself factor from the get go. I love Cyril. Take his injuries away and he is one of the best players going around. But the running and bending down for the ball stuff is more likely to happen in the middle. Could say "stop doing that Cyril" but that is akin to asking Cyril to not be Cyril anymore.

most times if the game is done & dusted by 3/4 time would like to see him subbed, as it is usually in the 4th quarter when he does his hamstring!
This.

I was at the game in Launny when he done the hammy good and proper.

I was actually saying out load to anyone that would listen "Get Cyril off" the game was done and it was ******* cold and wet.

I love Rioli in the middle, he's even more exciting at the bounces than Breust.

Rioli's hamstrings seemingly don't love Rioli in the middle.

Keep him up forward where he can have the most impact long-term. We have Breust who can do the pinch hitting in the middle, and Sicily and Hartung coming through as well. Let's preserve Rioli as long as we can.

However if his hamstrings are back in commission, the medicos feel there's no risk and Cyril feels up to it - I say unleash the kraken!

Rioli is a bit like the old Kraken not much escapes his grasp.:)

I find this question so hard to answer and it's not surprising it is endlessly asked on this forum. There are so many ifs to this. Injury form says play him forward but Clarko chucking him in the guts at the opening bounce of the GF was a masterstroke. Didn't even get the ball that much but caused the biggest sh&t yourself factor from the get go. I love Cyril. Take his injuries away and he is one of the best players going around. But the running and bending down for the ball stuff is more likely to happen in the middle. Could say "stop doing that Cyril" but that is akin to asking Cyril to not be Cyril anymore.

Agreed. Maybe we could have him as a 'tagger' of sorts on those inflluential players who are susceptible to 'sh&tting themselves'. Doesn't have to do much. Just stand and grin here, run there, smother a kick/handball there and you've got a player tagged (or tippet'd, if you prefer)...

Seriously though, I think the forward line with a short spells in the guts when needed, compete with cotton wool, rest & recovery during the season as needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamstring injuries suck, I just think the club just needs to throw faith behind his hamstring & fingers crossed his hamstrings don't give him anymore trouble. Pre-Season is coming quickly I'm pumped to see some footage to see what shape the lads come back in.

This.

I was at the game in Launny when he done the hammy good and proper.

I was actually saying out load to anyone that would listen "Get Cyril off" the game was done and it was ******* cold and wet.
So it's your fault then...?:mad:

Hobart is the 2nd driest capital city in Oz.

Serious question, is that on average annual rainfall?

Thing is I read recently that Rome gets more rain each year than London, it's just they get their's in a few short bursts whilst London decides to release its over the course of about 200 days of the year!

Typically his hamstring is fine. How many times has he done it? 4 or 5 in 133? Nearly every one of these has been when the weather is extremely cold or the ground very wet.

Play him as often as anyone else, just not when it is overly wet or cold.

Pretty sure the # is 7 hammies

He appears to have shed upper body mass since his last injury which in theory should transfer less load into his hamstrings when he leans over to get the ball at full stride. Given that I would like to see the club give it one last shot at whatever midfield beast they were trying to create.

If that doesn't work just play him forward and he only goes into the middle to win critical centre clearances. Essentially a "break glass in case of emergency" player.

Serious question, is that on average annual rainfall?

Thing is I read recently that Rome gets more rain each year than London, it's just they get their's in a few short bursts whilst London decides to release its over the course of about 200 days of the year!
Hobart also gets the second most amount of sunshine of all australian capitals. (behind perth) which is a different stat to rainfall.

Rubbish.

Over the years the weather in Launny has been great for Hawk games.

This s**t about Tassie being wet is rubbish.

Hobart is the 2nd driest capital city in Oz.

I am on tank water and had to buy water twice this winter. Have not had a wet winter for years.

Back