How good is Dayne Beams?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not suggesting they are better players than Beams. But they both do more damage with the ball in hand. I'd be very surprised if Beams was tagged ahead of Rich and Hanley. They're more important to our structure imo. Who would you rather pick up 30+ disposals and a couple of goals from an opposition point of view? Hanley/Rich or Beams?

There is only one of the three that makes a habit of regularly picking up 30 possies and kicking a couple of goals. Its no good talking about Hanley or Rich doing this because they don't do 30 possies/2 goals whether they are tagged or not tagged. Between them in almost 200 games they have achieved that milestone once (Hanley v GC). Beams on the other hand has passed that figure regularly (11x including 7x in 2012), he has also had games just about around that figure far more consistently than the other 2 combined.

Beams is just a much more dangerous player. It's no coincidence that he has placed 2nd in the AFLCA award, won a B&F, an AA and had more than double the career Brownlow of either of the other 2 for around a similar no of games. He is just a better more dangerous player. It is why Brisbane is paying him the big dollars.

Well since he doesn't play for the Pies anymore, he is s**t.

Let's all move on.
Seems you are missing a bit here. Seems plenty of Brissie supporters talking Beams down.

There is only one of the three that makes a habit of regularly picking up 30 possies and kicking a couple of goals. Its no good talking about Hanley or Rich doing this because they don't do 30 possies/2 goals whether they are tagged or not tagged. Between them in almost 200 games they have achieved that milestone once (Hanley v GC). Beams on the other hand has passed that figure regularly (11x including 7x in 2012), he has also had games just about around that figure far more consistently than the other 2 combined.

Beams is just a much more dangerous player. It's no coincidence that he has placed 2nd in the AFLCA award, won a B&F, an AA and had more than double the career Brownlow of either of the other 2 for around a similar no of games. He is just a better more dangerous player. It is why Brisbane is paying him the big dollars.

Now Hanley is a full time midfielder, I'm sure you'll see him do this more if he was let loose.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens though. Either way, we'll have one of Beams, Hanley or Rich roaming around freely. I'm pretty happy with that.

Certainly not trying to talk Beams down in anyway. Top 2 payer at the club. I find him and Rockliff hard to split.

Seems you are missing a bit here. Seems plenty of Brissie supporters talking Beams down.
And I would say it's more our supporters talking our players up more so then talking Beams down.

Now Hanley is a full time midfielder, I'm sure you'll see him do this more if he was let loose.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens though. Either way, we'll have one of Beams, Hanley or Rich roaming around freely. I'm pretty happy with that.

Certainly not trying to talk Beams down in anyway. Top 2 payer at the club. I find him and Rockliff hard to split.
Do you think Hanley will be a full time midfielder? With Redden, Beams, Rockliff and Rich already wanting plenty of centre square time and pace on the wings with Aish and trying to squeeze all the other young midfielders in for a little time rotating through it's hard to see another full time mid. Wont be enough minutes unless one of the other 4 drop out. Maybe Rich will give up time coming back from the reco?

I personally think Hanley will play more of a back flank role in 2015, the midfield bats much deeper now, and unless Brisbane have some pretty good back flankers that have been flying under the radar, the could do with him down there.

And I would say it's more our supporters talking our players up more so then talking Beams down.
And I would say not many Pie supporters are claiming Beams is s**t

And I would say not many Pie supporters are claiming Beams is s**t
My comment was tongue in cheek anyway, sure there is going to be people that pump up and down players but in the end it doesn't really matter, Pies fans will have resentment and point out all his flaws, whilst Lions fans will point out all his strengths and play down his flaws.

It's a lose/lose battle.

My comment was tongue in cheek anyway, sure there is going to be people that pump up and down players but in the end it doesn't really matter, Pies fans will have resentment and point out all his flaws, whilst Lions fans will point out all his strengths and play down his flaws.

It's a lose/lose battle.
Not sure of your motivation for jumping into a discussion where by and large that isn't happening and trying to throw a bomb to derail the thread

I personally think Hanley will play more of a back flank role in 2015, the midfield bats much deeper now, and unless Brisbane have some pretty good back flankers that have been flying under the radar, the could do with him down there.

Rich more likely to play off a back flank than Hanley.

Yeah would be hard to see how you can fit both Hanley and Rich into that centre square set up. CAnt have both there fulltime I don't think. Rich could make an interesting HBF with his foot. Does he have the guile and reading of the play to do that Q back role?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah would be hard to see how you can fit both Hanley and Rich into that centre square set up. CAnt have both there fulltime I don't think. Rich could make an interesting HBF with his foot. Does he have the guile and reading of the play to do that Q back role?

Played that role a fair bit over the last couple of seasons.

BTW Is there really such thing as a full time centre square midfield brigage anymore? Most teams rotate players through constantly.

Played that role a fair bit over the last couple of seasons.

BTW Is there really such thing as a full time centre square midfield brigage anymore? Most teams rotate players through constantly.
I would say there is. There are centre sq players who essentially spend all their game time on centre sq/on ball duties with only occasional breaks to go elsewhere. At Collingwood in 2014 that would be Pendles, Beams, Ball and Swan (although Swan for the 1st time drifted a little from this role. Then there is a group who do centre sq minutes to supplement the main guys but also find themselves spending a fair chunk of their minutes in other roles. Again using Pies as I know them best would include this group in 2014 to be Sidebottom, Adams, Macaffer, Dwyer, Blair, Thomas etc

I'm really confused. Are Pies fans (those not bagging Beams), really getting offended about the idea that other players may be tagged before him.

You realise it's not a personal insult of others get tagged first. Some clubs don't tag at all, some like to tag outside runners, some tag the inside mids, some tag the leading meters gained players, some tag the halfbacks.

Last edited:
Beams is a dead set legend.

He must be a great player, he always gets 30+ possessions against Hawthorn.
So do Swan & Pendlebury.

But they regularly lose by 50-60 points.

;)

I'm really confused. Are Pies fans (those not bagging Beams), really getting offended about the idea that other players may be tagged before him.

You realise it's not a personal insult of others get tagged first. Some clubs don't tag at all, some like to tag outside runners, some tag the inside mids, some tag the leading meters gained players, some tag the halfbacks.

I'm really confused because this thread is the wrong way around, we have Collingwood supports still talking Beams up and Brisbane supporters playing him down somewhat. Aren't Collingwood supporters supposed to be acting as if Beams was never really that good and Brisbane supporters claiming him as the fourth of coming of Jesus Christ himself (Ablett and GAJ being numbers two and three respectively)?

When you take off the "Collingwood's second best player is automatically every other club's best player" goggles, Brisbane supporters talking up some of our other mids doesn't automatically equate to talking down Beams.

In before the inevitable "why is he your highest paid player" retort followed by "Travis Cloke..." rebuttals again.

Don't know what all the fuss about Rich is.
He's a b-grader at best, had his 10secs of fame with the rising star and hasn't shown any improvement since.
Wouldn't be surprised if he loses his senior spot with beams and Christensen coming in.
You loook at someone like a beams who was 3rd/4th best mid at collingwood and still twice the player of rich and you realise why the bears were so desperate to bring him in to prop up their struggling midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back