How to improve the Brownlow coverage - realistic suggestions only

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of the continuous "lol Channel 10 were ghey" on some threads, how about one with realistic suggestions to improve the coverage next year. Don't bother with "no ads" or others which have no chance at the outset.

Mine would be to have each round read by a player who retired the year before. This year, players like Hird, Buckley, Archer, Ricciuto etc. would have read the votes, and might even have started with round 1.

interesting idea with the past players. though it depends on who and how many retires. or you could have other prominent ex-players fill the gaps.

if i could start with some corrections to the existing, before new ideas...

something resembling a constant speed.
ditch the dramatic pauses.
pare back the syrupy stuff.
more highlights, and spare the 'controversy' stuff.
don't interview players in the crowd... please.

i think harvey+volunteer stuff was 10's idea of intermissions, which is understandable but poorly executed. i think this could be fixed up to include something that is actually entertaining rather than cringeworthy. i may be wrong but they've had musicians in the past? ricky martin / buble? skip that, unless it's one of those bands made out of football players.
in short, have a bunch of current day footy players doing something. i was thinking in-line with the whole brownlow red-carpet, get the blokes all dressed up and put them on a catwalk. make sure it's somewhat tongue-in-cheek. it would be great to get someone in a mankini but that would probably be too low-brow for this now very very stuffy and oh so serious event. but i don't think you could repeat the same thing every year though. they're pretty much untapped and far more relevant (or at least more interesting) than most stuff, and it gives you new material to create things each year, keeps people guessing... 'what will the players be doing this year?'

Remember next year that its the players that are being voted on, not how well Roosy whistled while adjusting the side on his whiteboard.

i.e. make the highlights about the games, not the coaches and off-field indiscretions.

Possible explanation - the AFL gave a directive not to talk up too many players performances during the rounds in case the umpires votes look bad as a result. e.g. Priddis had 45 touches in a huge performance, whoops, no votes for Priddis!!

Possible explanation - the AFL gave a directive not to talk up too many players performances during the rounds in case the umpires votes look bad as a result. e.g. Priddis had 45 touches in a huge performance, whoops, no votes for Priddis!!
I didn't see the game myself, though I remember Priddis and another player (forgotten who, may have been Stenglein) were bagged in the media for that performance (Footy Classified namely, couple of newspaper articles too I think) because the majority of his possessions (actually, it may have been all of his possessions) were gained in the back half, and none of them were considered overly damaging to the opposition. As a result, IIRC, West Coast got hammered.

Remember next year that its the players that are being voted on, not how well Roosy whistled while adjusting the side on his whiteboard.

i.e. make the highlights about the games, not the coaches and off-field indiscretions.

I have to say, that does make sense.

Although, a few slipped by, mainly in regards to Bartel.

The idea of having past players read out the votes does have merit. And they're likely to do a better job than the CEO anyway. Limit it to four or five players reading out the rounds, not something ridiculous like eleven or twenty-two, then you'd have the farcical event of Peter Street (or someone similar) reading out the round twenty-two votes and them stuffing it up completely because they've frozen as they have never even been anywhere near the Brownlow in their life.

Hird, Harvey, Archer, Koutafides could read out the '09 Brownlow.

How to make it more interesting? Have it a week or two after the Grand Final on a Saturday night. Get the count over and done with instead of drawing it out (all votes read in an hour), introduce the premiership team, and the AA team (if you like), Show highlights of the seasons, interview retired players, introduce club B&F winners, etc.

That sort of thing. Less emphasis on the actual medal, and more on all the good things that made up the season. I've always thought it unfair to make the GF players sit there stone cold sober while everyone else in the room is in party mode.

I've always thought it unfair to make the GF players sit there stone cold sober while everyone else in the room is in party mode.

You're kidding right? Every player in the room would happily swap places with the grand finalists. Good suggestion on having the AA team read out at the Brownlow though.

in a dot point:

*kill quartermain

i hate this barstard with a passion.
I'm going to be in the minority of the following, but I don't mind Quarters when he is commentating on the game (even if he does make some incredibly inane comments), but I agree that he is just not suited to this sort of telecast. Network allegiances or none, they should seriously bring Eddie McGuire in to do the Brownlow, he is the best man for the job.

hes such a sensationalist ********.

and his interviews are cringeworthy...

voss' kid a few years back "hello, do you know your daddy's a famous footballer!"
rebecca twigley via video link "give us a smile rebecca!!"

and how about when he was with cooney last night...way to harp on about cooney's mates dying to sensationalise the whole thing. its the one of the best days of cooneys life and he's telling him about his dead mates. ****.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instead of the continuous "lol Channel 10 were ghey" on some threads, how about one with realistic suggestions to improve the coverage next year. Don't bother with "no ads" or others which have no chance at the outset.

Mine would be to have each round read by a player who retired the year before. This year, players like Hird, Buckley, Archer, Ricciuto etc. would have read the votes, and might even have started with round 1.
Yes, yes and yes. Keep as many former winners in the frame as possible. I'm sure they could grab enough former winners to have a crack at presenting and reading out votes. Even do the voice over possibly? The voice over bloke sounds like he's about to introduce the new James Bond film - What about Bill Hunter or Charles Bud Tingwell or anyone else. Even say, Vlad doing the voice overs would be better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back