Strategy Hypothetical: What would your demands be if the fate of CFC was in your hands?

How would you be inclined to vote in an EGM challenge with Browne?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hypothetical ...

There’s been some suggestion that an EGM may be looming at some stage.

If you were eligible to vote, ie: Social Club, Legends, Club 5, Life, or one of those secret up-in-the-clouds memberships that provides inner sanctum access for $$$ (and many folks here do fall into one of those categories - feel free to declare if you do) ...

...and if there were a hostile challenge to the current board and an election ...

... and if the vote was split 50 : 50 and the fate of the future of the Collingwood Football Club lay in your hands, what would your demands be?

Poll above

I’d like to see some innovative thinking. Presenting some new ideas and strategies around making us successful as a club.

For example, set up an advisory board of young folks (Eg: 18 to 21 year olds ... or probably a bit older, maybe 25 to 30). Give them a 12 month appointment, they can meet up regularly and they then make a one hour presentation to the board each quarter. Each member gets a couple of hours of free mentoring by a board member (or somebody suitable) during their year. It’d be unpaid, but at the end of their term they could organise a members‘ function, where the proceeds would go in trust towards paying for future entry into an Australian Institute of Company Directors course.

Another example might be to set up an advisory board of parents. Again have 12 month appointments where the meet regularly. Have them meet with the board quarterly about what the club could be doing better to make the footy club more accessible to kids and parents.

Another example might be to hold an annual teacher’s forum, which would bring together teachers of year 11/12 kids to discuss with the club the latest teaching methods, the latest cultural influences and trends amongst the age group that are about to enter the club.

Another might be a youth media access program, where the club teams up with a high school / Uni class that are doing media studies, and the class works with the media department to set up and run a series 30 minute interviews with a few assistant coaches across the wider club, maybe an administrator, maybe a few players across the wider club, and then at the end of the program the senior coach. The class gets exposure by having the videos put up on the club website.

Another might be a fine arts access program, where the club teams up with a high school / Uni class that are studying fine arts, and they are given a little access by the club for photos / painting / multimedia. Throw a pre-game exhibition for them towards the end of the season. Maybe some of their work can be an input into club merchandise?

Another might be to drag all the club memorabilia out of storage cubicles, and put on a temporary exhibition for a week or two. Bring it to life by inviting in ex-players and administrators to tell a yarn or two.

Etc, etc, etc ... the key to this is thinking out of the box and having the club engage with the membership in a way that is constructive.

The club have established the “Pies at the pub” concept this year ... great idea! They’re taking it around the country, even better! I‘d like to see more of that thinking.

Also, the club committed to holding a series of members functions during the season, it was around 5 IIRC? We’re starting to get on in the season and we haven’t had any. When the club have an idea like that one they do need to follow through with it.

Last edited:
I’d like to see the successful board commit to updating the club’s Articles of Association.

The current articles were last updated in 2010, there looks to have been a major change in 1983, and by the language it’s clear that there are roots in the document that date back long before that (eg: “The uniform of the team of the Club shall be a black and white striped jersey, black hose and black or white knickers”). It’s probably time for a bit of a refresh - the world is constantly changing. Seek submissions from the membership about possible changes.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t surprise me if Korda tries to something radical like sacking Buckley.
Whoever promises to sack the entire coaching panel and the recruiters, as well as review the positions of all players at the club, would get my vote.

Korda got off to a bad start with me by apologising to Lumumba, something which even Waleed Ali refuses to do despite the likes of former fellow panel member Peter Hellier jumping on the apology bandwagon.

Certainly the social media work has improved immensely this year and I hope it’s a step towards more face to face engagement when things have settled a bit more. While a few things have been tried and failed in recent years I feel it’s something the club needs to persist with in order to re-establish a community grass roots vibe. McGuire’s shift to making us an elite sporting club was needed, but in that corporate shift a bit of the sole was lost.

Certainly the social media work has improved immensely this year and I hope it’s a step towards more face to face engagement when things have settled a bit more. While a few things have been tried and failed in recent years I feel it’s something the club needs to persist with in order to re-establish a community grass roots vibe. McGuire’s shift to making us an elite sporting club was needed, but in that corporate shift a bit of the sole was lost.
They lost me when Pert cancelled the cocktail party. Man I loved that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worried...? Eddie has been excellent for the club and one of the best presidents for a generation
No doubt his business sense is great and connections and such. Just need that coupled with someone who won't stick their snoz in the footy dept where it don't belong and won't have foot in mouth disease.

McGuire was a great president for the first decade or so.

He should have stepped aside around the time Malthouse left and let someone else take the reigns from there. The last decade of his presidency does not compare to the brilliant work he did in the 2000s.

The problems we're experiencing is due to McGuire's inability to prepare for a successor and step aside at the appropriate time. Now a leadership vacuum and instability at board level engulfs the club.

Putting aside the influence of Ed, I’m now aligning myself to Browne. He has my vote if he needs it.

I don’t want anybody remaining on the board who had anything to do with trading Treloar.

I think Korda should be accorded clean air for at least the remainder of 2021.

I’d like to see the successful board commit to updating the club’s Articles of Association.

The current articles were last updated in 2010, there looks to have been a major change in 1983, and by the language it’s clear that there are roots in the document that date back long before that (eg: “The uniform of the team of the Club shall be a black and white striped jersey, black hose and black or white knickers”). It’s probably time for a bit of a refresh - the world is constantly changing. Seek submissions from the membership about possible changes.

Term limits would be a key change. Never want another McGuire.

Now I'm in the "keeping an open mind" category. The news about Buckley and Leppitsch has really waned my already fragile support for Korda and co.

Not enthused about Browne based on current information, but if he communicates his plans to the members then I'm willing to consider him.

If a third party (a complete outsider), other than Korda and Browne came into the fold, I would be interested as well.

Back