I find my lack of faith disturbing - a confession.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a confession, and frankly after the weekend's events I need to admit to it and cop it from all and sundry for my lack of faith.

In late 2001 when it came out that we were considering trading Trent Croad to get Freo's number one pick - I was downright horrified! I felt it was a terrible decision trading one of our best players, one who almost put us into the grand final that year, for some kid who may or may not turn out to be a good player. I wasn't one of those who signed a petition or protested outside Glenferrie, but I complained bitterly that it was a bad call.

From 2002 onwards, when Chris Judd burst onto the scene looking like an all conquering hero, I felt we'd now made two horrible mistakes, trading Croad, and then wasting the number one pick on some kid who couldn't even get on the park. Even when Hodge did make his debut, I was very unimpressed with what I saw - I derisively referred to him as 'Superman' and felt he may well end up being our Richard Lounder.

I'm not sure if I've ever been more wrong. Sorry Hodgey.

Round 2 2011 - Hawthorn vs Melbourne at the MCG. At half time we trailed the Dees 8.2 to 3.13. After a horrible 2009, and a not much better 2010 season - I proclaimed to all in earshot that if we lost this game Clarkson had to go. Of course, we kicked 13 goals to 4 in the second half and won by 45 points.... and all that other stuff that has happened since.

I was wrong to doubt Clarko. Sorry Clarko.

I'm sorry fellow Hawks fans.

UBlGsIBIT2efDJor86kq_3rvk5p.jpg

I expected to lose in 2012, win in 2013, had a big smile all week once our grand final tickets were allocated, but always said 50 50 when asked who would win. I too am so grateful we picked Hodge and it may have been good for Croad to spend time at another club.
We all have misgivings at times, but what a wonderful time to be a Hawthorn supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back