Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
Normally go to every Melbourne game. Didn''t today and I could have too.

In fact - I turned the radio on for the first 20 minutes. Heard what was happening which was bascially a repeat of the last few weeks. Turned it back on with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd when Winderlich refused to have a shot at goal which was then resulted in a Melbourne goal.

Listened to the first 5 minutes of the 4th and it was all over.

But you know what. I'm not even upset any more. Its the same old garbage that we as supporters have been putting up for 5 years now and we are going absoloutly nowhere.

How long does the club think supporters are going to keep the faith ?

I love this f**king club and it breaks my heart that I don't even care any more (I realise this doesn't make sense either. :D).

I can just envisage the response this week. Another honesty session with a heart to heart session thrown in.

More garbage spruiked by the likes of Spike and Welsh about what a good pack of blokes the team are, how they all like Knighter and they just need to get the structures right and everything will be okay.

You know what. It means f**king nothing. I don't want to hear it. Its bad enough watching Spike and Welsh play every week without hearing them in the media after a loss. They're lucky to be in the side FFS.

I've got a feeling I'm not the only one thats had enough. This board would normally be alight with a hundred different threads after a bad loss but this week barely nothing.

Anyway West Coast next week. For me - meh.

In fact - I turned the radio on for the first 20 minutes. Heard what was happening which was bascially a repeat of the last few weeks. Turned it back on with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd when Winderlich refused to have a shot at goal which was then resulted in a Melbourne goal.

But you know what. I'm not even upset any more. Its the same old garbage that we as supporters have been putting up for 5 years now and we are going absoloutly nowhere.

I love this f**king club and it breaks my heart that I don't even care any more (I realise this doesn't make sense either. :D).

I can just envisage the response this week. Another honesty session with a heart to heart session thrown in.

More garbage spruiked by the likes of Spike and Welsh about what a good pack of blokes the team are, how they all like Knighter and they just need to get the structures right and everything will be okay.

You know what. It means f**king nothing. I don't want to hear it. Its bad enough watching Spike and Welsh play every week without hearing them in the media after a loss. They're lucky to be in the side FFS.

I've got a feeling I'm not the only one thats had enough. This board would normally be alight with a hundred different threads after a bad loss but this week barely nothing.

You obviously don't love the club that much if you can't even be assed listening to it on the radio. Don't worry, we'll call you when we are winning again so you can jump back on.

I don't think I will ever get to the point where I don't want to go to any and every game I can, but I'm absolutely depressed. Just completely gutted.

This hurts. I thought we'd seen the back of this s**t, and things were on the up. To go back to early 2008 levels is just a kick in the balls.

What a rubbish opening post. Last 5 years? You made the finals last year and even though the years prior were bottom 8 years, they weren't as bad as other teams.

Just throwing in the towel. You clearly don't love the club as much as most of these other posters on here who bothered to go to the game today. Your post is soft and disrespectful to supporters of clubs like Richmond who have truly gone through horror years recently. Essendon have just been down for a a few years and you're already given up?

What I saw today was no worse than Melbourne 07-09 or Richmond or Fremantle in recent years.

Pull your head in and support your club. When the victories do start flowing again, you won't deserve the enjoyment if you don't stick through the tough times.

I can emphathise a little.

I completely lost it in the first half and was really in the game, but in the last quarter I just didn't care. It's gone beyond hurting now.

It's going to be a massive week in the media.

For all the talk and embarrassment last week, our first half showed nothing. Ignore all of the 50's etc, they had no direct influence on our performance.

To see the likes of Winderlich, Zaka and Paddy refusing to take shots from Inside 50 and ****ing it up is just infuriating beyond words to the point that it's just not worth getting upset about.

My head is killing me after today's game but to be honest I'm more excited to watch Cadel in the Tour or Webber in the F1 tonight than thinking about Essendon's next win.

It would be refreshing to see a youngster like Zaka face the media this week. He loves the club as a player and supporter. I want to see players hurting and not spruiking their careers outside of playing (e.g. Welsh, McVeigh).

It's weird, I felt the same just before 3/4 time when the Dees kicked away again to ice the game. I'm usually filthy after losses like today but I just couldn't muster up any anger. I think you described the feeling pretty well Ben... it's depressing. I haven't missed a game in Melbourne this year and I won't be for the next 7 weeks if can help it.

But like DT, I'm also sick to death of hearing the token "we'll turn it around and make amends blah blah blah blah". It's the same old recycled s**t and for too long it's been all talk and no action.

I don't believe we should sack Knights yet, we should at least let him see the year out, but it's getting damn hard to stay supportive of him. I'm not a fan of knee-jerks but at times like these it easy to get disheartened. My head says keep the faith but my heart says bring back Hird lol.

I don't even want to think about what would happen if we don't beat the Eagles next week...

This is a poigniant thread for me, I go to every Melbourne game and have been doing so for over 25 years. These days I go with a few lads and we genuinly drink s**t beer in plastic cups and get ferocious, however I didnt even yell an expletive today. I just sat their and shook my head..... that first half was insipid.

I have been mislead into thinking this was going to be an exciting time at the EFC, that after years in the wilderness with a new coach, a daring new plan and some talented players we were back in finals contnetion and building for a genuine tilt.

After today we are a genuine chance of winning the spoon, bottoming out in 2010 spells ****ing disaster. I dont even feel angry, I just feel apathetic and I dont think I have ever felt that way about Essendon.

I have been mislead into thinking this was going to be an exciting time at the EFC, that after years in the wilderness with a new coach, a daring new plan and some talented players we were back in finals contnetion and building for a genuine tilt.

That's just it. As I said, it's a kick in the balls.

I can take being s**t when we're expected to be s**t. This I can't take.

Sook, harden up. FFS, sure we're all disappointed, but just to no longer give a stuff is ridiculous.

All i ask is for some ****ing effort and intensity, it should be a non-negotiable in professional sport.

I'm at the point where I know I'm not going to get it.

And it ****ing hurts.

I would give anything and then some to be given a chance to wear the red and black at the MCG. And it hurts for a bunch of overpaid pansies to be wearing it when they don't give a ****.

It's weird, I felt the same just before 3/4 time when the Dees kicked away again to ice the game. I'm usually filthy after losses like today but I just couldn't muster up any anger. I think you described the feeling pretty well Ben... it's depressing. I haven't missed a game in Melbourne this year and I won't be for the next 7 weeks if can help it.

But like DT, I'm also sick to death of hearing the token "we'll turn it around and make amends blah blah blah blah". It's the same old recycled s**t and for too long it's been all talk and no action.

I don't believe we should sack Knights yet, we should at least let him see the year out, but it's getting damn hard to stay supportive of him. I'm not a fan of knee-jerks but at times like these it easy to get disheartened. My head says keep the faith but my heart says bring back Hird lol.

I don't even want to think about what would happen if we don't beat the Eagles next week...

Agree completely with this post.

I sat there for half a game in disbelief. Sitting in MCC, I stood up for about 5 minutes waiting for Essendon to come out, when they finally did I yelled out "Carn Bombers" and I was met by silence. That was the point I realised how much people around me didn't give a s**t.

I think last week everyone thought we'd come back firing after the belting we copped from Adelaide but we didn't.

Another thing I think is that people have resigned to the fact we're going to lose, and in fact would take losing over winning if it meant Knights was gone. It's sad that we're getting to that stage when finals was number one on our list only a few weeks ago.

Speaking of finals, really pissed me off was when we come out after the Adelaide match and said finals were still on the agenda. I thought to myself, why the **** are you thinking about finals after an 84 point loss. We don't deserve to be that arrogant. Adelaide are above us on the ladder and they refuse to talk about finals.

We need to get our priorities right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I care. I always have. I always will. If we finish last 10 years in a row I will watch and care and hope. I will continue to support no matter what, even when I'm not happy with the decisions the club, coaches or players make.

As I've got older I understand there are more things to life, but I still care a lot. Sure I don't throw my hand held radio 50m down the road out of frustration anymore, but that is just maturity.

Today was not surprising and from that perspective the sad thing is it didn't hurt as much because there was no shock.

I believe we have a nucleus of a very good team with regards to players.

I thank Knights for what he has done because he has improved us, however I do not believe he has the talents to take us further.

Daytripper, if you truly don't care I feel sorry for you. But could it be that you really care and are trying not to? After all you kept coming back to see how we were going.

This.

I go every week - and will continue to go for the rest of the year and beyond, usually get right into the game, but today i just sat there and just watched. Even when we got within 12 points in the third i just couldn't get involved in the game, I don't know why. I love this club, it means a heap to me, but today, I just didn't feel the same as after every other game. I left the game early for only the second time ever, I'd just had enough. I just can't believe it.

I feel the same. Of course I care, but I'm beyond angry. In games like these, normally I'd swear and walk off only to walk back 10 seconds later, but I'd never lose faith that we could come back and win, and I'd never sit there quietly shaking my head at how s**t we are, only to start daydreaming about something else. I've always been so engaged in Bombers games; win, lose or draw. After last week, watching today, I couldn't be bothered getting angry.

I don't want to feel this way as a Bombers supporter. I was attracted to this club because of the way it played football, because of the passion in the coach and the passion in the blood of the players. I don't see passion in Knights, his assistants or in the players of late. This is not the Essendon that we each fell in love with.

This is an Essendon that does not believe in itself to overcome adversity. This is an Essendon that has lost a sense of direction; that shows up to play footy the way I plod into the office with my $3 coffee on a Monday morning and watches the clock until it's knock-off time. And this is an Essendon that, for a month, played its best footy of the year on the back of a brutal article written by one former captain.

But things can change. Essendon Football Club is a giant of the game and there are a lot of former champions who want to help. There are many players and supporters alike who feel helpless on the outside, who cannot bear to see this club go down this path. Essendon Football Club will be back, with the passion, terror and blood of past; but not without changes.

Perhaps right now had to happen. Perhaps when we began to lose our way in the final hours of Sheedy's reign, we forgot what made this club great and fell for the sales pitch of the modern football dictionary. Maybe this is a wakeup call to remind everyone at Essendon Football Club what it is that makes us special. We've always done things our way at Windy Hill. We recruit coaches, admin and players alike based on their ticker, their nous and their love of the way we do things. Let's get back to that.

Hurt the most when Watts was gifted that goal by the Umps in the third. That killed off any emotion, you just knew that it wasn't our day.

Still stayed there and cheer every goal after but we couldn't get back into the game.

Today it was very flat. It was even picked up by the commentary team on MMM.

To be honest I just don't care anymore also. In fact I'm watching the replay now but I can't be bothered with it.

I don't think I'll be making it out to a game or wasting my time watching it unless Knights is sacked and we have some change. If we don't make change then I won't be buying a membership next year.

I'm actually hoping we get done by the Eagles at home so we don't have any more excuses on why we should hang on to him...... and the rest of the coaching panel.

You shouldn't be buying or not buying memberships depending on the success of the team.

I don't care if we finish last this year, next year I'll purchase my first Essendon membership.

I will always care for this football club, there is no question about it. However, I'm totally disheartened by the present plight of the club and I'm sure there are many other supporters that feel the same way. The passion, enthusiasm and confidence has totally ebbed away from our playing group. Hopefully the Essendon board will have the courage to make the changes that are needed so desperately.

Well maybe this is what is wrong with our club. I was as pissed off watching us lose this game just as much as i would be watching us lose to carlton, collingwood or any other game during the year. Reading all this crap about how you have all lost any care or you are no longer angry whether we lose or not is richmond like and it is a disgrace. For f*cks sake we are celebrating the 2000 premiership this week. What a joke we are becoming.

I spent the majority of the game, externally at least, either yelling something like "Go Zaka", "Yes Woosha" or "You're an embarrassment, Kennedy" (and let's be honest, that umpiring was appalling). But for once there was sort of a hollow feeling to it all. Normally I'm involved like that and genuinely believing not that we can but that we will win. Even two rounds ago, during the Hawthorn match, when we'd been insipid for three quarters and suddenly decided to play, I always believed that we would win. That wasn't there today, and that scares me. That genuinely scares me.

There's something terribly wrong with this club, and it needs to be fixed. I'm not convinced that it's Knights, and I think he's an easy target. Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't, but whatever it is, I can't bear to think of another week, let alone another seven weeks, let alone another year or two or five or ten of that hollow, hollow feeling inside.

I watched the Grand Final last year with a St Kilda supporting mate, and I saw first hand how coming so close and falling short felt. This is much, much worse. There's no sense of pride in where the players have come, it's just indifference. And I never thought that I'd feel that about anything to do with Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back