Roast I just don't love any of our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey there That's Gold... I hear what you're saying although my (and from the looks of this thread) your Big Footy Pies brethrens' hearts break a little for you.

We get that this isn't how you want to feel and it's disappointing and confusing to not feel the Collingwood bond with special players that you used to.

I'm not going to tell you how to feel but perhaps the timing of this feeling - the end of the season or pretty neat to it is a blessing? Pull out those DVDs of 2010 and 1990. Also 2010 prelim vs Geelong. Personally I also like the 89 GF.

Relish the players you loved.

That'll get you through to 2017 & hopefully some of our players will mature in both footy skills and demeanour oh and Elliott will come back and show you his toughness, aerial marks, goal kicking prowess and - what was it? Oh yeah, country boy charm ya love!!!

Good luck buddy. Hope next year is better for all of us

Don't know whether it's because I'm getting older or the day and age of Instagram which I'll never get and fan girling which shits me up the wall but I just don't love any of this list. I like Moore and Sidebottom and that's about where it ends. I don't like Pendlebury as a captain and I just can't seem to find any passion for the players on our list. We could trade 30 players for different players and I wouldn't even care right now. Most of them are egotistical over paid idiots off the field anyway.

I didn't think you barracked for the club so I'm not sure why you see its a problem.....

I'm sure they're really upset to hear that, OP.

Don't know whether it's because I'm getting older or the day and age of Instagram which I'll never get and fan girling which shits me up the wall but I just don't love any of this list. I like Moore and Sidebottom and that's about where it ends. I don't like Pendlebury as a captain and I just can't seem to find any passion for the players on our list. We could trade 30 players for different players and I wouldn't even care right now. Most of them are egotistical over paid idiots off the field anyway.

You're the kind of supporter that can jog on. Don't let the door hit you on the way out chief

I do think TG does have a point to some extent ...

... seriously, how many of our players come across as loveable?

Swanny of course is one, but are there any others?

Consider Pendles as an example: He's a great footy player, nobody would dispute that. He's got some good qualities: he's durable, he leads, he has a clean hair cut. And we all just know that Alex's parents would have been absolutely tickle pink the first time she brought him home to meet them.

But does he come across as loveable?

I reckon part of the reason is media management. Players are coached to wheel out the same old tired cliches. Can't say this. Can't do that. Every element is controlled and managed. In the quest for premierships.

Try this as an exercise ... attempt to describe the personality of each of the 46 players our list - I think even passionate supporters who follow the players closely would struggle.

And to be candid and sincere, I think THATSGOLD , it's attitudes like yours that contribute to this very problem. Admit it, you chuck the sads whenever somebody at the club doesn't seem to be focusing 100% of their direct attention on winning the next premiership? You're a passionate supporter and I respect that, but sometimes when I read your posts I think that if you were running the footy club the players would be treated like tortured circus animals. You can't have it both ways - players having no life AND being loveable. FWIW, I don't think that having no life outside of footy is the way to win premierships either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I put it down to the game losing it's characters, Swan is the last of his kind, and also a more robotic style of play with players expected to abandon their natural instincts (high flying marks, arsey goals...) and conform to the team plan. The game is also losing it's character and with it it's characters. The protection of head while a complete necessity and long overdue means we have seen the last of crunching collisions/hits and the wreakless abandon to throw ones self onto the loose footy is fast disappearing with the want to protect a blokes legs or head.

This was only 7 years ago (2009), but it's one of my favourite Prestigiacomo moments. Chances are if it was players of today at least one of them would keep their feet and hope for contact and a free.

Last edited:
I put it down to the game losing it's characters, Swan is the last of his kind, and also a more robotic style of play with players expected to abandon their natural instincts (high flying marks, arsey goals...) and conform to the team plan. The game is also losing it's character and with it it's characters. The protection of head while a complete necessity and long overdue means we have seen the last of crunching collisions/hits and the wreakless abandon to throw ones self onto the loose footy is fast disappearing with the want to protect a blokes legs or head.

This was only 7 years ago (2009), but it's one of my favourite Prestigiacomo moments. Chances are if it was players of today at least one of them would keep their feet and hope for contact and a free.

those were the golden days when a toovey miss kick still found a collingwood player 10 metres behind the intended target.

Who are you roasting exactly?

Geez taking pot shots at guys because of there hair cuts really just puts you into that steriotypical conservative aussie male afl supporter. Flog
Why is a conservative a flog? Because they don't align with you ? You are anti male ? I gather you are male ?

Well written and clarifies all the inane questions

Roasting has nothing to do with the question....what exactly is the term campaigner ?
Haha I wasn't referring to you. Was asking TG about the thread title.

I think you'll find campaigner is what the forum turns a certain word that starts with C and ends in a T with 4 letters on this site.

Haha I wasn't referring to you. Was asking TG about the thread title.

I think you'll find campaigner is what the forum turns a certain word that starts with C and ends in a T with 4 letters on this site.
Ahhh... Really ? Interesting turn of phrase...

Love is about a relationship, something that takes time. It's not just about clear sunny days, it's as much about the cold drizzle, the hard times which punctuate and accentuate the good. True love is loving someone because of their weaknesses, not despite them. You get out what you put in. This is a young list and will reward us if we have the courage to believe and risk disappointment. The op is about you TG, not about our players.

I'm middle aged, the Tatts and gelled hair do nothing for me. In a decade or so, though, I suspect I will feel close to the same loss for some of our team as I did when Billy Picken left the pies. I don't believe you TG, reckon you will be there too. Good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back