Pool B

Tonga 25.22.172 d India 1.0.6
South Africa 23.22.160 d Pakistan 2.2.14
Papua New Guinea 24.19.163 d Japan 1.0.6

Pool C

New Zealand 24.18.162 d Sweden 0.0.0
USA 27.17.179 d Finland 0.0.1
Canada 19.5.119 d China 0.1.1

Quite frankly, it appears that the Pool structure has failed the lesser teams this time around.

Womens

Ireland 10.7.67 d Fiji 1.0.6
Canada (A) 8.13.61 d USA (A) 1.1.7
Canada (B) 4.7.31 d Tonga 1.1.7

I must say I was a bit surprised that New Zealand beat Sweden by so much. Historically, Sweden have done reasonably well at the International Cup... so I wonder what's going on there.

This has to send a clear message to the tournament organisers that Divisions (as happened at IC11) are really necessary. Blowouts help nobody, it dents the confidence of the weaker teams and the stronger teams aren't challenged.

I must say I was a bit surprised that New Zealand beat Sweden by so much. Historically, Sweden have done reasonably well at the International Cup... so I wonder what's going on there.

This has to send a clear message to the tournament organisers that Divisions (as happened at IC11) are really necessary. Blowouts help nobody, it dents the confidence of the weaker teams and the stronger teams aren't challenged.

Plus, who wants to pay $5,000 to travel to the other side of the world (here) to have their backsides handed to them.

If you were to lose, you'd rather lose to teams near your standard and have a competitive match.

Blow outs make players think twice about making the trip next time round.

Well, there are divisions but they aren't put in until the 4th Day. What I would do is something like the Davis Cup, where each team that finished in Division 2 last year (or any team that is debuting) can play one game against a bottom-of-Division-1 side, to swap divisions for the upcoming tournament. That way, the Divisions are in place for virtually all of the tournament, but it still allows for teams to be promoted/relegated as necessary.

Just went and saw the last quarter of Finland vs Sweden and then USA vs Canada (missus is Canadian) and very much enjoyed myself. I must say though, after watching a quarter Finland vs Sweden then seeing the Canadians and Yanks run out, there was a massive gap in skill between the two games. Think it would definitely be worth splitting up the teams into divisions... as it seems there is enough teams to do it now.

Canada vs USA was fascinating even though it was very low scoring. The yanks had the better of most of the first half but Canada drew it back to 2 points at three quarter time and seemed to have all the momentum. First five minutes of the last quarter was in Canada's forward line and they had their tails up, but one of their forwards had a shot from 30 out to put them in front and missed and I think that was the turning point. US took it up the other end kicked a goal then piled on another four to win by 5 goals. Disappointing.

Been to a game the last couple of times it's been down here and recommend it to everyone. Great atmosphere and listening to the Tongans sing in tune as they head off the ground is something to behold. Our pros could maybe take a few singing lessons off them....

Dunno if I'm posting this in the right area but ahh well. Day two results:

Alot of very one sides games again.

Game 1

Japan: 4.1 5.2 7.3 9.4 (58)
Pakistan: 0.1 0.1 3.3 3.4 (22)
Goals

Japan: Sasaki 2, Tanaka 2, Takasaki, Kuno, Oura, Tanabe, Toyama

Pakistan: Siddique 2, Ali

Best

Japan: Nakamura, Sakaki, Kuno, Yoshida, Sekine, Tanabe

Pakistan: Qureshi, Shah, Javed, Hussain, K. Khan, Siddique

CLICK HERE for the full match summary thanks to World Footy News

Game 2

Nauru: 1.2 1.6 3.9 6.14 (50)

Great Britain: 0.3 1.4 3.5 4.5 (29)

Goals

Nauru: Kenneth 2, German, Charles, Tipung, Pilo

Great Britain: Willatt, Harmeston, McGeever, Maguire

Best players

Nauru: Tiana, Malinson, Jonas, Donatello, Dave, German

Great Britain: Ballard, Aburto, Worthington, Matias, Walton, Maguire

CLICK HERE to read a full match summary thanks to World Footy News

Game 3

New Zealand: 7.6 14.15 21 19 28.25 (193)
China: 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)

Goals

New Zealand: Morton 9, Mundell 3, Inglis 3, Toomer 2, Clark 2, Baker-Thomas 2, M. Gregson, W.Gregson, Christensen, Johnson, McKenzie, Benny, Van Wijk

China:

Best players

New Zealand: Howison, Morton, Smith, Mundel, Inglis, Toomer

China: Z. Chen, Zhang, Deng, Zheng, S. Chen, F. Yang

Game 4

Ireland: 6.2 10.5 12.7 17.9 (111)

France: 0.0 0.0 0.2 0.2 (2)

Goals

Ireland: Lucey 6, Finn 3, O’Regan 2, P. O’Halloran, McSorley, McCloskey, C. O’Halloran, Browne, Skelly

France:

Best

Ireland: P.O’Halloran, Skelly, Finn, Stynes, Browne, Lucey

France: Canonici, Gazeau, David, Denerf, L’Hotellier, Gil

Game 5

Sweden: 4.5 8.8 10.10 13.13 (91)

Finland: 0.0 0.1 2.1 2.2 (14)

Goals

Sweden: Brenmo 4, Lindgren 2, Martensson 2, Sund, Kvarnstrom, Skarlen, Gogu, Svensson

Finland: Kalliojarvi, Kupila

Best

Sweden: Navarro, Svensson, Brenmo, Magnusson, Martensson, Tellstron

Finland: Karlsson, Nurmikoski, Kupila, Puntilla, Lampi, Heiskanen

Game 6

South Africa: 5.1 7.2 11.4 13.4 (82)

Tonga: 1.2 1.3 2.3 2.5 (17)

Goals

South Africa: Sokoyi 3, Moagi 2, Matshane 2, Duvenage 2, Moshoeshoe, Terblanche, Maokoane, Mongia

Tonga: Fukofuka, Finau

Best

South Africa: Moagi, Sokoyi, Matshane, Funda, Dlamini, Mkhize

Tonga: Mahina, Halafuke, Okati, Kolofale, Palate, Loni

Fiji: 8.6 16.10 24.10 32.16 (208)

Indonesia: 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)

Goals

Fiji: Vatutei 5, Koroi 4, Wesley 4, Cati 3, Ratu 3, Magito 2, Wolfgramm 2, Vunitabua 2, Valesu 2, Tuiova, Pauli, Naco, Qio, Qiolevu

Indonesia:

Best players

Fiji: Vatutei, Vunitabua, Koroi, Savai Navuso, Wolfgramm, Gada

Indonesia: Ibadurrohman, Halim, Abdillah, Wood, Santoso, Warumu

PNG: 8.7 19.9 26.15 33.18 (216)

India: 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)

Goals

PNG: Pirika 9, Namete 4, Beno 3, So-ong 3, Johnston 2, Ikupu 2, Yogomin 2, Simon 2, Musi, Wartovo, Siwee, Pena, Agita, Ekari

India:

Best players

PNG: Pirika, Simon, Gavuri, Ikupu, Pena, Logo

India: Kailashnathan, D’Moore, Fariduddin, Fernando, Tirkey, Chakraborty

Game 9

USA: 1.0 2.2 3.2 8.3 (51)

Canada: 0.1 0.3 2.6 2.8 (20)

Goals

USA: McGettigan 2, Fischer, Dragus, Fashant, Tyebjee, Werner, Sears

Canada: Reynolds 2

Best

USA: Tybejee, Lehane, Wilhelm, Fashant, Johnson, Kastl

Canada: Shaughnessy, Reynolds, Oertel, Settle, Casey, Strom

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-13/round-2-results-mens

Womens
Game 1:

USA Freedom: 9.10 (64)

Canada Midnight Suns: 1.2 (8)

Goals

USA Freedom: Hoha 3, Kastanek 2, Edwards-Rohner, Mims, Brower, Teufal

Canada Midnight Suns: Fenton

Best players

USA Freedom: Edwards-Rohner, Lee, Brower, Kastanek, Teufal

Canada Midnight Suns: Stevens, Shannon, Fernandez, Tong, De Silva, Beaudin

Game 2

Canada Northern Lights: 19.11 (125)

USA Liberty: 0.0 (0)

Goals

Canada Northern Lights: Fluit 3, Arnold 3, Legault 2, Perry 2, Nicholls 2, Hickey 2, Bodashefsky 2, Costanza, Dickinson, Walshe

USA Liberty:

Best players

Canada Northern Lights: Perry, Bodashefsky, Arnold, Dickinson, Hickey, Smith

USA Liberty: Regets, Georgiadis, Castillo, McNabb

Game 3

Ireland: 3.1 5.6 7.8 9.9 (63)

Tonga: 1.0 1.1 1.1 1.2 (8)

Goals

Ireland: Corrigan 3, Hazley 2, Brogan, McGahon, Mahony

Tonga: Folauhola.I.V.Timani

Best players

Ireland: Hazley, Mahony, McCann, Keatley, Cassidy, Kelly, Dempsey

Tonga: Folauhola.I.V.Timani, Finau, Faka’ilota’u, Ongolea, Motuliki, Afuha’amango

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-13/round-2-results-womens

Round 2 - Men

Game 1

Japan: 4.1 5.2 7.3 9.4 (58)
Pakistan: 0.1 0.1 3.3 3.4 (22)

Goals

Japan: Sasaki 2, Tanaka 2, Takasaki, Kuno, Oura, Tanabe, Toyama

Pakistan: Siddique 2, Ali

Best

Japan: Nakamura, Sakaki, Kuno, Yoshida, Sekine, Tanabe

Pakistan: Qureshi, Shah, Javed, Hussain, K. Khan, Siddique

CLICK HERE for the full match summary thanks to World Footy News

Game 2

Nauru: 1.2 1.6 3.9 6.14 (50)

Great Britain: 0.3 1.4 3.5 4.5 (29)

Goals

Nauru: Kenneth 2, German, Charles, Tipung, Pilo

Great Britain: Willatt, Harmeston, McGeever, Maguire

Best players

Nauru: Tiana, Malinson, Jonas, Donatello, Dave, German

Great Britain: Ballard, Aburto, Worthington, Matias, Walton, Maguire

CLICK HERE to read a full match summary thanks to World Footy News

Game 3

New Zealand: 7.6 14.15 21 19 28.25 (193)
China: 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)

Goals

New Zealand: Morton 9, Mundell 3, Inglis 3, Toomer 2, Clark 2, Baker-Thomas 2, M. Gregson, W.Gregson, Christensen, Johnson, McKenzie, Benny, Van Wijk

China:

Best players

New Zealand: Howison, Morton, Smith, Mundel, Inglis, Toomer

China: Z. Chen, Zhang, Deng, Zheng, S. Chen, F. Yang

Game 4

Ireland: 6.2 10.5 12.7 17.9 (111)

France: 0.0 0.0 0.2 0.2 (2)

Goals

Ireland: Lucey 6, Finn 3, O’Regan 2, P. O’Halloran, McSorley, McCloskey, C. O’Halloran, Browne, Skelly

France:

Best

Ireland: P.O’Halloran, Skelly, Finn, Stynes, Browne, Lucey

France: Canonici, Gazeau, David, Denerf, L’Hotellier, Gil

Game 5

Sweden: 4.5 8.8 10.10 13.13 (91)

Finland: 0.0 0.1 2.1 2.2 (14)

Goals

Sweden: Brenmo 4, Lindgren 2, Martensson 2, Sund, Kvarnstrom, Skarlen, Gogu, Svensson

Finland: Kalliojarvi, Kupila

Best

Sweden: Navarro, Svensson, Brenmo, Magnusson, Martensson, Tellstron

Finland: Karlsson, Nurmikoski, Kupila, Puntilla, Lampi, Heiskanen

Game 6

South Africa: 5.1 7.2 11.4 13.4 (82)

Tonga: 1.2 1.3 2.3 2.5 (17)

Goals

South Africa: Sokoyi 3, Moagi 2, Matshane 2, Duvenage 2, Moshoeshoe, Terblanche, Maokoane, Mongia

Tonga: Fukofuka, Finau

Best

South Africa: Moagi, Sokoyi, Matshane, Funda, Dlamini, Mkhize

Tonga: Mahina, Halafuke, Okati, Kolofale, Palate, Loni

Fiji: 8.6 16.10 24.10 32.16 (208)

Indonesia: 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)

Goals

Fiji: Vatutei 5, Koroi 4, Wesley 4, Cati 3, Ratu 3, Magito 2, Wolfgramm 2, Vunitabua 2, Valesu 2, Tuiova, Pauli, Naco, Qio, Qiolevu

Indonesia:

Best players

Fiji: Vatutei, Vunitabua, Koroi, Savai Navuso, Wolfgramm, Gada

Indonesia: Ibadurrohman, Halim, Abdillah, Wood, Santoso, Warumu

PNG: 8.7 19.9 26.15 33.18 (216)

India: 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 (0)

Goals

PNG: Pirika 9, Namete 4, Beno 3, So-ong 3, Johnston 2, Ikupu 2, Yogomin 2, Simon 2, Musi, Wartovo, Siwee, Pena, Agita, Ekari

India:

Best players

PNG: Pirika, Simon, Gavuri, Ikupu, Pena, Logo

India: Kailashnathan, D’Moore, Fariduddin, Fernando, Tirkey, Chakraborty

Game 9

USA: 1.0 2.2 3.2 8.3 (51)

Canada: 0.1 0.3 2.6 2.8 (20)

Goals

USA: McGettigan 2, Fischer, Dragus, Fashant, Tyebjee, Werner, Sears

Canada: Reynolds 2

Best

USA: Tybejee, Lehane, Wilhelm, Fashant, Johnson, Kastl

Canada: Shaughnessy, Reynolds, Oertel, Settle, Casey, Strom

Round 2 - Women

Game 1:

USA Freedom: 9.10 (64)

Canada Midnight Suns: 1.2 (8)

Goals

USA Freedom: Hoha 3, Kastanek 2, Edwards-Rohner, Mims, Brower, Teufal

Canada Midnight Suns: Fenton

Best players

USA Freedom: Edwards-Rohner, Lee, Brower, Kastanek, Teufal

Canada Midnight Suns: Stevens, Shannon, Fernandez, Tong, De Silva, Beaudin

Game 2

Canada Northern Lights: 19.11 (125)

USA Liberty: 0.0 (0)

Goals

Canada Northern Lights: Fluit 3, Arnold 3, Legault 2, Perry 2, Nicholls 2, Hickey 2, Bodashefsky 2, Costanza, Dickinson, Walshe

USA Liberty:

Best players

Canada Northern Lights: Perry, Bodashefsky, Arnold, Dickinson, Hickey, Smith

USA Liberty: Regets, Georgiadis, Castillo, McNabb

Game 3

Ireland: 3.1 5.6 7.8 9.9 (63)

Tonga: 1.0 1.1 1.1 1.2 (8)

Goals

Ireland: Corrigan 3, Hazley 2, Brogan, McGahon, Mahony

Tonga: Folauhola.I.V.Timani

Best players

Ireland: Hazley, Mahony, McCann, Keatley, Cassidy, Kelly, Dempsey

Tonga: Folauhola.I.V.Timani, Finau, Faka’ilota’u, Ongolea, Motuliki, Afuha’amango

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really surprised there aren't more people posting here about it. It's gaining lots of traction on twitter and had quite a few 'water cooler' conversations about the cup even here in Sydney! The blow outs aren't great, but isn't it wonderful to see so many countries competing in our great game, especially people with a background in the sport.

Really surprised there aren't more people posting here about it. It's gaining lots of traction on twitter and had quite a few 'water cooler' conversations about the cup even here in Sydney! The blow outs aren't great, but isn't it wonderful to see so many countries competing in our great game, especially people with a background in the sport.
No doubt there would be a heck of a lot more people talking about it if this thread were posted on the main board, but instead it's on a minor board that not many people visit.

Really surprised there aren't more people posting here about it.

BF isn't really the hub of international football.

It's gaining lots of traction on twitter.

Deffinitely. There's been a conscious link between the AFL and reporting agencies.

few 'water cooler' conversations about the cup even here in Sydney!

It's amazing what interest the odd media report will generate.

The blow outs aren't great, but isn't it wonderful to see so many countries competing in our great game, especially people with a background in the sport.

Most team's skill level have increased markedly just to compete with the other teams.
Blowout results aren't good, but at the grounds it's all hard work for the winning teams.

A lot of resources have gone into NZ. Teams have to improve significantly each event just to keep pace.

It's up to competing nations to demand the required format.
Some teams say they cannot improve without playing the top teams.
Some teams want to play as many other teams as possible.
Blowouts aren't as straight forward as you might think.
Personally I don't like blowouts either, but at the games there are no easy wins.

Really? It doesnt matter how you spin it when you kick 35 goals to 1, as Nauru did in their first game, you've had an easy win

Really?
This probably a good example why BF hasn't kept pace with other international entities.
Why cherrypick the new diminutive team? Everybody knows the Garudas were going to struggle regardless of any divisions.

It's my observation that teams playing with country pride put everything on the line producing a bruising affair.

Really?
This probably a good example why BF hasn't kept pace with other international entities.
Why cherrypick the new diminutive team? Everybody knows the Garudas were going to struggle regardless of any divisions.

It's my observation that teams playing with country pride put everything on the line producing a bruising affair.

Cherry pick? Tonga beat India by 24 goals, South Africa beat Pakistan by 21 goals, PNG beat Japan by 23 goals. Sweden didnt manage to evens score against New Zealand in a 25 goals loss. The USA beat Finland by 27 goals. Canada only won by 19 goals.

You can play with everything you have and still get beaten easily. Of nine round 1 matches, more than half were decided by more than 20 goals. After 10 goals, it becomes an easy victory. It doesnt matter what the intent is or how hard you try. And I havent even got to the round 2 games.

We should be following a policy that allows teams to play each other at the same development level. No one is served by saving for a year, putting a teamk together, flying half way across the world to cop a 20-35 goal thrashing.

Really? It doesnt matter how you spin it when you kick 35 goals to 1, as Nauru did in their first game, you've had an easy win

Some of my toughest win's were when we won by 30+ goals. The 19s at my club on the weekend won 208 to 7. You should have seen how much they struggled! Very tough.

You can play with everything you have and still get beaten easily.

Really?
I think people understood that I was using "easy" in the physical sense not the "predictable" sense.
All the games I have witnessed have been hard physical games and not won by taking it "easy".
Maybe we can watch some games together?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back