I'd do it again says Lance A

Remove this Banner Ad

That way he says it, its as if he thought he didn't have a choice at the time. By saying it was so "pervasive", he's basically saying that it was so rife, that by doping, it wasn't gaining an advantage, it was merely levelling the playing field.

I agree with his thoughts on leaving the winners blank though. I think someone needs to be named the winner of the race. So many other "winners" have been erased due to doping, with the title being handed down to the next best rider. Why not in these years?

Worth reading this alongside the recent interview by/from Floyd Landis, who makes some valid points about the pre-Armstrong period.

Cycling has been rife with drugs and stimulants since the year dot.

RIP Tom Simpson

That way he says it, its as if he thought he didn't have a choice at the time. By saying it was so "pervasive", he's basically saying that it was so rife, that by doping, it wasn't gaining an advantage, it was merely levelling the playing field.
He didn't. As others who were part of the peleton in the mid 90s have said in recent years, if you weren't on it you couldn't win races, it was that widespread in professional cycling that it was just accepted.

Doping in professional cycling is something that has systematic for over 60 years, just as it has been in all endurance sports.

well he has to repay SCA promotions back $10 mil he ripped off them. I hope the judge charged more than bank interest for the interest component.

Tide seems to be turning in Tri world
Maybe case of now he is too old or maybe he is draw card for $ but seems everybody wants him to race
I could not think of anything worse than lance at Kona let alone winning

Tide seems to be turning in Tri world
Maybe case of now he is too old or maybe he is draw card for $ but seems everybody wants him to race
I could not think of anything worse than lance at Kona let alone winning

I'd openly heckle him when he passes me on the bike. He has no place in our sport let alone cycling.

Hate on the guy sure, but if having him do Kona increases media coverage and sponsor dollars for other athletes i think its a good thing. Triathlon is not nearly as lucrative or recognized as it should be. Put in every test and check you can on him while he does it but you have to admit the wider public would be fascinated by it which has to be a good thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others who were part of the peleton in the mid 90s have said in recent years, if you weren't on it you couldn't win races, it was that widespread in professional cycling that it was just accepted.

Forget about winning races, if you weren't on it, you couldn't even keep up with the peloton.

Meanwhile, Lance goes down, while (other) major protagonists get off scot free (e.g., Bjarne Riis).

Forget about winning races, if you weren't on it, you couldn't even keep up with the peloton.

Meanwhile, Lance goes down, while (other) major protagonists get off scot free (e.g., Bjarne Riis).
I'm actually surprised that Riis have never been stripped of his title, especially as he admitted he was on banned substances when he won back in 2007, Ullrich has also admitted he was on PEDs when he won. No-one doubts that Indurain or Pantani were also on it.

I'm actually surprised that Riis have never been stripped of his title, especially as he admitted he was on banned substances when he won back in 2007, Ullrich has also admitted he was on PEDs when he won. No-one doubts that Indurain or Pantani were also on it.
Riis wasn't stripped of his title because his revelations came out after the statute of limitations had expired. Lance was still within that period, hence why he lost his and those who came before him did not.

Riis wasn't stripped of his title because his revelations came out after the statute of limitations had expired. Lance was still within that period, hence why he lost his and those who came before him did not.

It doesn't matter when revelations come out, it's when the events took place. Which in Armstrong's case, were definitely covered under the statute of limitations - many of the charges and allegations go back 15 years or so. However, USADA suspended the statute of limitations in Armstrong's case because ... well, just because.

It doesn't matter when revelations come out, it's when the events took place. Which in Armstrong's case, were definitely covered under the statute of limitations - many of the charges and allegations go back 15 years or so. However, USADA suspended the statute of limitations in Armstrong's case because ... well, just because.
Riis, Pantani, Indurain etc were all well past the statute of limitations period, which is (from memory) 8 years. The last couple of Armstrong's "wins" were still within that period when the charges were laid. From memory they got the period extended by arguing that he had conducted a conspiracy to avoid detection, or something similar.

If doesn't matter what you think.
He did win all those tours(whether legally or illegally via drugs).
We all know that there wasn't one clean cyclist during the 1990s and early 2000s.
A bit like the Melbourne Storm did win 2 premierships that were stripped (via salary cap cheating)

I reckon you'll find decades in the future, he'll be re-awarded the victories.

Strip him, dont strip him, frankly i dont care but if the man wants to run in the Kona Ironman and can bring some of those sweet sponsor dollars and entry fee with him then let the man race!! No special treatment, no appearance fees. Just allow him entry.

hes not going to win, he just wants to compete, i don't see why it is a massive problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back