If Hawthorn win the 2014 Premiership....

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be hard to argue that it wouldn't be the greatest footballing performance in the history of the National competition, and perhaps ever.

For a side faced with so much adversity this current season, with injuries threatening to derail their season, down to the coaches health issues and the pressures of being the current premiers, it would truly be a remarkable achievement, and one which may stand alone as the greatest accomplishment in the history of the game.

As it stands, it will take a monumental effort to knock them off in September considering how well they're travelling with an abundance of stars still on the sidelines and possibly due back by the time september rolls around.

Still clear premiership favorites for mine.

I beg the question. If the Hawks win the 2014 premiership, will it be the greatest of all time?

If Hawthorn managed to win the flag this year it will go down as one of the greatest sporting achievements of all time. In my opinion Sydney will win the flag. It will take something special to stop this mighty Sydney team from claiming the 2014 Premiership. So if Hawthorn won the flag this year that would certainly qualify as a great sporting achievement.

Happy to just keep developing stars like Litherland, Langford, Ceglar and so on and keep the dynasty rolling. As far as I'm concerned the flag is pre-ordained to be Sydney's this year.
I don't know about pre-ordained. They still have to turn up to the Grand Final and win. Maybe the Hawks can stop them?

I suppose. It's a bad era to be a suburban Victorian club that's for sure. Sydney's concessions will end in 2017, just in time for Gold Coast to take over, then GWS from there. See you in 2025.
I think it's a great era to be a suburban Victorian club. It makes every premiership achieved much more sweeter, knowing you've beaten the system as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

We've got a dose of adversity to overcome - the coach going down for 5-6 weeks is massively understated as the challenge it is, and then the disaster that occurred in his first game back shows you can't just click your fingers and go back to business as it used to be.

Sydney are clear favourites. How could they not be?

But the reason I think a hawk win wouldn't count as the greatest of all time is because the season is so even. If we came in and defeated a Geelong 2008, Collingwood 2010 type team that finished with a huge percentage and a few games clear you could put it in the goat category.

Hawthorn are already universally declared the Greatest Footballing Team of the Modern Era by all and sundry and it would be no surprise to anyone if they won this year.

As their fans have ben telling us all along, they have the best list in the comp when they're all on the park.
Sydney have a better list.

It really would be a huge underdog story, Sydney look unstoppable and Hawthorn keep losing players...that said if Sydney were to slip up against the Hawks it's suddenly not as big an underdog story. If it goes as expected though people will be expecting a 2007 style GF.

Clear best 22 out:
- Gibson, Lake (Susp), Rioli, Hill

Depth around the 22 but should be replaceable
- Whitecross, Sewell
Young players who'd be handy to have but probably would be the sub at best in a finals run
- Anderson, Hartung

Right now they have 4 significant best 22 out but in a few weeks time that number could be down to just the 1. Then they'd be in a similar position to Freo (Michael Walters) and not really too far off.

They've had a bad run so far but I don't think it's at that horrendous level that yet. If they have a clear run in from now they'll probably be no worse than most other sides.

When Mitchell, Gibson and Lake all went down at similar times the talk was that if they get back around now they have time to get in form.

I wouldn't be talking about Hawthorn's efforts as greatest ever until we get to September and see how many fit players they have then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back