Indian Premier League 2015

Who is going to win?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

lots of life in this track, leave out Dale Steyn :/

And Midge has his tail up now as well. This is going to be difficult
Okay, they want to play Boult, fair enough...

...but...

...why the hell would you play Bopara instead of Steyn? Surely you'd play Steyn AND Boult and bring in a local batsman.

Okay, they want to play Boult, fair enough...

...but...

...why the hell would you play Bopara instead of Steyn? Surely you'd play Steyn AND Boult and bring in a local batsman.

They're such a perplexing side to follow at the moment even though they won last night. Their moves at the auction weren't great and the way the side is made up at the moment just reflects that.

They played 3 seam bowling all rounders in Reddy, Mozz and Bopara last night, but only Henriques bowled (did alright too), so as an international player and an all rounder Bopara's contribution was a 2 ball duck. At least Reddy had the little flourish at the end with the bat which ended up being the difference.

I'm not sure how Moody views the young indian bats given they just chopped KL Rahul though, and he's probably the best of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I quite like this idea.

If they unearthed a good one the IPL team would then put the pressure on not to take a cap from their country so they can continue being selected in that slot.

No player from WI/SL/Zim etc is going to forego a contract worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for their country. Did Pollard ever play for the WI before IPL/CLT20? Imagine how much that rule would inflate the worth of him (or any other player in that position) if he could have been picked as the 5th international.

Even from an Aus perspective a player like Sandhu or NCN (pre getting picked) would think twice about taking a short term call up for the Aus side. Well I am behind Johnson, Starc, Harris, Pattinson, Faulkner etc maybe I will wait until I'm a first XI player before ruling myself ineligible for the IPL slot...

If they unearthed a good one the IPL team would then put the pressure on not to take a cap from their country so they can continue being selected in that slot.
Presumably anybody who had great success would probably only last one season in the slot anyway.
No player from WI/SL/Zim etc is going to forego a contract worth hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for their country.
The uncapped player would be on minimal pay one would think.
Even from an Aus perspective a player like Sandhu or NCN (pre getting picked) would think twice about taking a short term call up for the Aus side. Well I am behind Johnson, Starc, Harris, Pattinson, Faulkner etc maybe I will wait until I'm a lock to get an Aus contract before ruling myself ineligible for the IPL slot...
Well, if they choose to risk their international futures for a smaller-scale IPL contract, then that is their choice to make. It isn't one I imagine many would make.

They might be on a small pay scale to start with but if they had a breakout IPL they would be the hottest property on the market the next year if they stayed uncapped. All teams would clamour for the player eligible to play as a 5th international and their value would be artificially raised above other players in the same way that s**t Indian players earn more than the top internationals.

They might be on a small pay scale to start with but if they had a breakout IPL they would be the hottest property on the market the next year if they stayed uncapped.
If. That's a big if. Given the number of T20Is played these days, even ODIs, it is unlikely that they would go uncapped for long. The IPL has been a big springboard for a number of players to spark (or revive - see Watson, Shaun Marsh) their international careers.

Back