Analysis Inexperience watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to bring this thread back to life for the 2015 season.

Round 1 Lions vs. Pies at the Gabba
  • (0 to 10 games - Lions 2 vs. Pies 3)
  • 0 to 24 games - Lions 5 vs. Pies 7
  • 25 to 49 games - Lions 3 vs. Pies 3
  • 50 to 99 games - Lions 7 vs. Pies 4
  • 100 to 199 games - Lions 7 vs. Pies 6
  • 200+ games - Lions 0 vs. Pies 2
Some extra stats from the lists I set up at the start of the year:
  • Average games played - Lions 69.0 vs. Pies 80.1
  • Average age - Lions 23.2 vs. Pies 23.5 (rough estimates only based on whole years from back in Jan)
  • Average height - Lions 186.1cm vs. Pies 187.4cm
  • Average weight - Lions 85.1kg vs. Pies 88kg
Before crunching the numbers I was a bit worried that we would go in with a fairly inexperienced side. Luckily the pies are fairly young / inexperienced as well. Interestingly we go in with fewer very inexperienced players than they do (Lions 5 vs. Pies 7), although overall they have a slight more experienced side in terms of number of games played (Lions 69 vs. Pies 80.1).

The match is there to be won by both sides, but at home I think we should win this one.

I love this thread. Excellent stuff Last of the Roys .

At first blush, it looks like the Pies two 200+ gamers have a sizeable impact on the averages.

For the squeamish it's time to look away now.

Round 2 Lions vs. North at Etihad
  • (0 to 10 games - Lions 3 vs. North 3)
  • 0 to 24 games - Lions 6 vs. North 5
  • 25 to 49 games - Lions 3 vs. North 0
  • 50 to 99 games - Lions 7 vs. North 4
  • 100 to 199 games - Lions 6 vs. North 8
  • 200+ games - Lions 0 vs. North 5
  • Average games played - Lions 65.1 vs. North 129.4!!!
  • Average age - Lions 23.2 vs. North 26.2 (rough estimates based on whole years from back in Jan)
  • Average height - Lions 186.5cm vs. North 187.4cm
  • Average weight - Lions 85.5kg vs. North 86.5kg
I knew it was going to be bad this week. At the start of the year when I crunched the numbers on full lists, North had the most experienced list in terms of games played and was the second oldest as well. The Lions in contrast are the second youngest and 4th least experienced.

While things don't look so bad at the least experienced end of the teams selected, the Lions still have 9 players in our side with less than 50 games experience vs. 5 for North. At the other end is the real problem with North having 13 players with more than 100 games experience to our 6.

And as highlighted, the average games experience of the North side is merely double that of the Lions. Yeah you can say that players like Harvey bring that figure up, but that really doesn't take away from the fact we are facing perhaps the most experienced side in terms of games played in recent times.

Just looking back last year when I started keeping the extra stats, we only faced one side with 13 players over 100 games. That was Freo in round 22 at the Gabba and their team only averaged 108 games experience (we lost by 58 points).

I am definitely not expecting a win this week, in fact I just hope we don't get blown away early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all those old men, we should run over the top of them.:$

So if we lose it was because their average games was *double* our average games ... whimper

If we win it is because of our shinboner heroic spirit, our determination to win, our awesome skills, and our ability to run around their walking frames!

win-win :)

Such a telling thread. Consistently delivers the reasons why. It also exposes the over emotional and scapgoaters.

I am a true believer and have rarely missed a game at the Gabba let alone on TV but FWIW I am a over 10 years of poor footy by the Lions. Today was tough so I do have to come back here and read the stats that tell.

IMO the experienced players we have are never going to drag the younger brigade along. Sadly this makes it difficult to assess how well they would go in a good team. I suspect that the likes of Adcock, Luey et al would go very well playing in a team like Hawthorn for example. Proof of that to me was watching Dayne Beams today. We know he can play as we have all seen him.

The problem is that from our drafting over the years we seem to have not kept too many of those players around who would be reaching that middle aged status as of now.

Such a telling thread. Consistently delivers the reasons why. It also exposes the over emotional and scapgoaters.

I am a true believer and have rarely missed a game at the Gabba let alone on TV but FWIW I am a over 10 years of poor footy by the Lions. Today was tough so I do have to come back here and read the stats that tell.

IMO the experienced players we have are never going to drag the younger brigade along. Sadly this makes it difficult to assess how well they would go in a good team. I suspect that the likes of Adcock, Luey et al would go very well playing in a team like Hawthorn for example. Proof of that to me was watching Dayne Beams today. We know he can play as we have all seen him.

The problem is that from our drafting over the years we seem to have not kept too many of those players around who would be reaching that middle aged status as of now.

One of the more reasoned responses to our start to the year. Our list has these glaring holes in it and no even spread. We have the Adcocks, Merrets and co who are nudging 30 and over, then we have the 3 R's and Beams who are mid 20's and then C.Beams, Green, Clarke 21 and under with the likes of Taylor and Co who are second year players. Our list has been, as highlighted by others, as having these anomalies. It isn't an easy gig being a coach of a team like this. I also am highly frustrated by the start of the year as the previous few. Hoping for a turn around but maybe all the 'experts' were right with where we finish this year. Christ even Melbourne and Saints look like they have improved this year and will give us a run for our money.

One of the more reasoned responses to our start to the year. Our list has these glaring holes in it and no even spread. We have the Adcocks, Merrets and co who are nudging 30 and over, then we have the 3 R's and Beams who are mid 20's and then C.Beams, Green, Clarke 21 and under with the likes of Taylor and Co who are second year players. Our list has been, as highlighted by others, as having these anomalies. It isn't an easy gig being a coach of a team like this. I also am highly frustrated by the start of the year as the previous few. Hoping for a turn around but maybe all the 'experts' were right with where we finish this year. Christ even Melbourne and Saints look like they have improved this year and will give us a run for our money.

Seems to me we need McGuane and West playing to fill the 26-30 void. Then again I am pretty sure Leuey and Martin fit that demographic.

Great post John. It is always easy to get caught up in the moment when watching the game(I am guilty of it big time), however, we all have to realise that this is a young team that is going to take time to develop, even with all the quality midfielders in the side.

OK, time for round 3:

Lions vs. Tigers at the Gabba
[Western Bulldogs figures for their round 2 team that beat Richmond in square brackets for comparison]
  • (0 to 10 games - Lions 2 vs. Tigers 2) [Bulldogs round 2 = 2]
  • 0 to 24 games - Lions 6 vs. Tigers 3 [Bulldogs = 7]
  • 25 to 49 games - Lions 4 vs. Tigers 4 [Bulldogs = 4]
  • 50 to 99 games - Lions 5 vs. Tigers 4 [Bulldogs = 6]
  • 100 to 199 games - Lions 7 vs. Tigers 10 [Bulldogs = 3]
  • 200+ games - Lions 0 vs. Tigers 1 [Bulldogs 2]
  • Average games played - Lions 67.1 vs. Tigers 90.9 [Bulldogs round 2 = 75.0]
  • Average age - Lions 23.0 vs. Tigers 24.6 [Bulldogs 24.5] (rough estimates from back in Jan)
  • Average height - Lions 186.4cm vs. Tigers 187.8cm [Bulldogs 189cm]
  • Average weight - Lions 85.3kg vs. Tigers 87.8kg [Bulldogs 88.4kg]
Compared to last week the stats don't look nearly as bad. When you throw in the Bulldogs stats for comparison, you can see that there is no real reason as to why we shouldn't be able to get a similar result if we play at our best (no reason apart from our terrible form and our recent history against the Tigers that is!).

Richmond have a clear advantage given we have 3 more players with less than 25 games experience and they have 4 more players with more than 100 games experience. But it is a gap that at home, with full commitment at the contest across the team, can be breached.

For some reason I am expecting us to make this a fierce contest. It is time to stand up. Whether we end up winning or not is another thing, but this has to be a line in the sand!

(By the way, Paparone played his 25th game last week and Lewy Taylor plays his 25th this week)

OK, time for round 3:

Lions vs. Tigers at the Gabba
[Western Bulldogs figures for their round 2 team that beat Richmond in square brackets for comparison]
  • (0 to 10 games - Lions 2 vs. Tigers 2) [Bulldogs round 2 = 2]
  • 0 to 24 games - Lions 6 vs. Tigers 3 [Bulldogs = 7]
  • 25 to 49 games - Lions 4 vs. Tigers 4 [Bulldogs = 4]
  • 50 to 99 games - Lions 5 vs. Tigers 4 [Bulldogs = 6]
  • 100 to 199 games - Lions 7 vs. Tigers 10 [Bulldogs = 3]
  • 200+ games - Lions 0 vs. Tigers 1 [Bulldogs 2]
  • Average games played - Lions 67.1 vs. Tigers 90.9 [Bulldogs round 2 = 75.0]
  • Average age - Lions 23.0 vs. Tigers 24.6 [Bulldogs 24.5] (rough estimates from back in Jan)
  • Average height - Lions 186.4cm vs. Tigers 187.8cm [Bulldogs 189cm]
  • Average weight - Lions 85.3kg vs. Tigers 87.8kg [Bulldogs 88.4kg]
Compared to last week the stats don't look nearly as bad. When you throw in the Bulldogs stats for comparison, you can see that there is no real reason as to why we shouldn't be able to get a similar result if we play at our best (no reason apart from our terrible form and our recent history against the Tigers that is!).

Richmond have a clear advantage given we have 3 more players with less than 25 games experience and they have 4 more players with more than 100 games experience. But it is a gap that at home, with full commitment at the contest across the team, can be breached.

For some reason I am expecting us to make this a fierce contest. It is time to stand up. Whether we end up winning or not is another thing, but this has to be a line in the sand!

(By the way, Paparone played his 25th game last week and Lewy Taylor plays his 25th this week)

Lions will win tonight. D.Beams will have his first break out game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back