Injury Injuries 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

3AW _ Bev says the club is concerned about Libba after another head knock.

Dunno how he wasn't subbed off straight away after the knock.

Agree, he looked a bit groggy after that hit and I dont think they went through concussion protocols because he was back on the ground not long after (much earlier than 20 mins if memory serves).

He is such a hard nut and great in and under player. all the best, hope its not too serious.

There were 2 head knocks - an earlier one which I believe he went through a HIA for (and must have passed if so), and the second one where he was kicked in the face late in the game and didn't return as he finished the last few minutes on the bench. Bevo may have been referring to the latter.

Players can also pass a HIA and suffer delayed concussion effects, which could be the case here. It's not uncommon.

There were 2 head knocks - an earlier one which I believe he went through a HIA for (and must have passed if so), and the second one where he was kicked in the face late in the game and didn't return as he finished the last few minutes on the bench. Bevo may have been referring to the latter.

Players can also pass a HIA and suffer delayed concussion effects, which could be the case here. It's not uncommon.
If they did one I don't think he should have passed if they take video post knock into account. Though he wasn't greatly staggering he looked dazed and wasn't moving normally I thought

HIA takes 15 minutes doesn't it? Libba clearly got concussed in the initial stages of the game. Libba does a good job hiding it but you could tell he was at least dazed from the hit.

Then there was footage of him a couple of minutes later talking to the doctor and shaking his head as they clearly pulled him off to check. All of the sudden he was back on the ground in the centre bounce.

The medical staff have a lot to answer for here. He clearly wasn't put through a HIA.

EDIT - Our VC position at the club has to be the most cursed position in football.

HIA takes 15 minutes doesn't it? Libba clearly got concussed in the initial stages of the game. Libba does a good job hiding it but you could tell he was at least dazed from the hit.

Then there was footage of him a couple of minutes later talking to the doctor and shaking his head as they clearly pulled him off to check. All of the sudden he was back on the ground in the centre bounce.

The medical staff have a lot to answer for here. He clearly wasn't put through a HIA.

EDIT - Our VC position at the club has to be the most cursed position in football.
There's a bit of confusion about this - a HIA is a rapid test which doesn't take long, it can lead to a SCAT6 test which is the one that take 15+ minutes but not necessarily. I'm saying I believe he passed a HIA and therefore wasn't required to undertake a SCAT6 test.

Whether he should or should not have passed the HIA is another question which I don't have an answer for. From my uneducated perspective, given he did appear to stumble a little, I think a SCAT6 would have normally been expected but I believe not undertaken in this instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libba now ruled out indefinitely. 😞

At the ground I was really worried for him when he collapsed again, and concerned for him going forward.

At the ground I was really worried for him when he collapsed again, and concerned for him going forward.
No good. Seems the staggering and collapse weren't caught on the telecast, just looked dazed and not sure in his movements afterward on tv

No good. Seems the staggering and collapse weren't caught on the telecast, just looked dazed and not sure in his movements afterward on tv

No, looked awful at the ground

AFL 360 just had both incidents up close including the stagger & collapse

This came up in my FB feed, a much simpler way of managing concussion back in the day! 😲
(Foreman was one of my favourites at the time, got to meet him a few times at the club and in the rooms prior to a 1979 mid week night match at Waverley, very friendly character. Was disappointed he went to Essendon with Stoneham.)

FB_IMG_1714989902027.jpg

This came up in my FB feed, a much simpler way of managing concussion back in the day! 😲
(Foreman was one of my favourites at the time, got to meet him a few times at the club and in the rooms prior to a 1979 mid week night match at Waverley, very friendly character. Was disappointed he went to Essendon with Stoneham.)

View attachment 1981541
That's amazing. I love the extra detail of pushing the neighbour's caravan & getting the sponge cake.

Epic tale & different times. Did he even see a doctor ? Short wait times in those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back