Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm... interesting
Beer Fasting
Monks in the Middle Ages are known to have fasted on beer. High quality beer is sometimes called liquid bread in reference to the similar nutrient content. Modern day commercial beers not only lack that nutrition, but they also lack the purity.
On the other hand, fasting on high quality, homemade brews....?

You'd need to watch calories as well as alcohol content, and supplement with plenty of water. There is little information on beer fasting to offer guidance, so in general, would not be recommended.

http://www.allaboutfasting.com/liquid-fasting.html

Hmmmm... interesting
Beer Fasting
Monks in the Middle Ages are known to have fasted on beer. High quality beer is sometimes called liquid bread in reference to the similar nutrient content. Modern day commercial beers not only lack that nutrition, but they also lack the purity.
On the other hand, fasting on high quality, homemade brews....?

You'd need to watch calories as well as alcohol content, and supplement with plenty of water. There is little information on beer fasting to offer guidance, so in general, would not be recommended.

http://www.allaboutfasting.com/liquid-fasting.html

You could make a squillion selling books, videos and meals with this diet.

Does it come with a foxtel footy subscription?

intermittent-fasting-590x1295.jpg

Thing is though you naturally end up cutting calories because you're eating one less meal per day and have less of an appetite due to increased gherlin and insulin sensitivity.

Also lack of grass fed beef on there is upsetting :(

That can be the beauty of IF, when i'm restricting calories i prefer to go with a 16 hr fast 8 hr eating window, 3 meals plus a protein shake in between lunch and dinner. You can still eat surplus calories whilst doing IF, you just need to add in more calories to each meal and still have a relatively open eating window such as 8-9 hours.

That can be the beauty of IF, when i'm restricting calories i prefer to go with a 16 hr fast 8 hr eating window, 3 meals plus a protein shake in between lunch and dinner. You can still eat surplus calories whilst doing IF, you just need to add in more calories to each meal and still have a relatively open eating window such as 8-9 hours.
I've never had an issue getting my calories into surplus :) :thumbsu:

Doing a bit of a fast atm on gym days only, not eating from 10pm to 1pm, always going to the gym at the end of the fast and eating straight after the gym and onwards in to the night

Really struggle to get the cals in, am chowing down a massive dinner trying to do it

Am down about 2.5kgs in the first two weeks, so we'll see how it goes over the next month or so

Working out on a fast has always been my ideal method though I never considered myself as fasting, just waking up and preferring not to eat before gym

Non gym days I'll usually have a breakfast and eat smaller meals throughout the whole day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still struggle when i hear people saying they cannot get their calls in during a fast.

Why is that?

I aim for 2k cals a day and at my best can get around 1900, but often end up on around 1600

Maybe with more experience I'll get better, but i'm still eating very regularly through the day and end up having to have a large dinner that leaves me feeling bloated for the rest of the night and still 200-300 cals short

Why is that?

I aim for 2k cals a day and at my best can get around 1900, but often end up on around 1600

Maybe with more experience I'll get better, but i'm still eating very regularly through the day and end up having to have a large dinner that leaves me feeling bloated for the rest of the night and still 200-300 cals short

Look at eating more calorie dense foods, in particular fats. This will depends though on your goals of fasting and what macros you want to hit.

Isn't consuming calories during a fast kind of an oxymoron?

They are referring to the eating window either side of the fasting. Hence why it is called intermittent fasting, its 16-20 hours of fasting 4-8 hours of eating each day. As opposed to a 3-4 full day fast.

Look at eating more calorie dense foods, in particular fats. This will depends though on your goals of fasting and what macros you want to hit.

Trying to hit high protein/fats and not really fussed with carbs, though to up my calorie intake usually I'll need to revert to carbs once I've hit my protein goals

Eating a lot of eggs, salmon, chicken etc and mixing in flaxseeds with a lot of them

Ive been told to try and add more nuts in to my foods to get fat and calories up but I've never really enjoyed eating nuts but I think I'll try

Isn't consuming calories during a fast kind of an oxymoron?
No because fasting isnt about weight reduction its about re-setting your inner body and how it operates, but i know where you are coming from as its a popular way to lose weight.

And with people who find it hard to get their macros up they need to remember fat is double the cal of protein and carb. The trick is to buy the best meat you can afford and make sure it has the highest fat content you can see. Pork belly is my choice as a 400g slab will give around 2000 cal with a few hundred grams of high quality fat and roughly 40 grams of protein with mega amounts of b12, b6, potassium and Iron with the added bonus of high amounts of collagen in the skin. Its God's greatest superfood.

I don't count cals but i keep an eye out on my macro's, and if anything i find myself having to be careful i don't over consume.

Trying to hit high protein/fats and not really fussed with carbs, though to up my calorie intake usually I'll need to revert to carbs once I've hit my protein goals

Eating a lot of eggs, salmon, chicken etc and mixing in flaxseeds with a lot of them

Ive been told to try and add more nuts in to my foods to get fat and calories up but I've never really enjoyed eating nuts but I think I'll try

Chicken is basically a low fat feed and their are better ways to get protein, better to add a few more eggs to your bacon and eggs (fried in coconut oil and consume the pan fat) also add a table spoon or two of olive oil and coconut oil to your cooking will add 200-300 cals automatically, and its healthy. Also don't forget to rip into high quality grass feed butter, its a perfect way of getting your macro's up.

Also if you have the time making a big pot of bone broth once a week will give you all your protein needs plus high amounts of aminos, minerals and collagen. One mug daily is a mega protein bomb, well worth the effort.

Chicken is basically a low fat feed and their are better ways to get protein, better to add a few more eggs to your bacon and eggs (fried in coconut oil and consume the pan fat) also add a table spoon or two of olive oil and coconut oil to your cooking will add 200-300 cals automatically, and its healthy. Also don't forget to rip into high quality grass feed butter, its a perfect way of getting your macro's up.

Also if you have the time making a big pot of bone broth once a week will give you all your protein needs plus high amounts of aminos, minerals and collagen. One mug daily is a mega protein bomb, well worth the effort.

I'm poaching my eggs at the moment, I'll consider frying them in coconut oil though I do perfer the poached method

Dont really have anything with butter on it, but I'll keep it in mind as well

As for the Pork, could you share where you get your nutr info from? I've looked at a couple of sources and gotten different results for the fats in them, will pick up some tenderlions tonight

Along with that I've read that removing the visible fat can halve the fat content, but I'm not really looking to do that so should I be keeping all visible fat on the pork?

Last edited:
I'm poaching my eggs at the moment, I'll consider frying them in coconut oil though I do perfer the poached method

Dont really have anything with butter on it, but I'll keep it in mind as well

As for the Pork, could you share where you get your nutr info from? I've looked at a couple of sources and gotten different results for the fats in them, will pick up some tenderlions tonight

Along with that I've read that removing the visible fat can halve the fat content, but I'm not really looking to do that so should I be keeping all visible fat on the pork?
Tenderloins are almost fat free, its the belly, ribs and chops that are the go. Regarding the nutrition info, pork meat/tenderloins will be different to belly when you look it up. Just check out belly and see how you go. But adding fats/oil/butter at as many stages as possible will make a huge difference, plus make your fattiest meal of the day your first one. Load up big time.

Had some pork cutlets tonight (a pain in the ass to weigh, I just weighed the whole thing then weighed the bone+left overs afterwards and subtracted that from the total to get how much I ate), range was pretty limited where I went so I'll look for a butcher going forward to get some

It didnt feel natural eating the fat, growing up I was always cut it off

It was nice though, and will be a good mixup from the usual chicken weeknights I've been doing

Had some pork cutlets tonight (a pain in the ass to weigh, I just weighed the whole thing then weighed the bone+left overs afterwards and subtracted that from the total to get how much I ate), range was pretty limited where I went so I'll look for a butcher going forward to get some

It didnt feel natural eating the fat, growing up I was always cut it off

It was nice though, and will be a good mixup from the usual chicken weeknights I've been doing

This is the tough part and its the bit where athletes who go lchf initially struggle with. But once you get over the fear factor that good fat is healthy and will not make you fat and the whole fasting/lchf thing is a breeze, and as i said i find i have to be careful i dont overeat as the daily menu is to tempting.

This is the tough part and its the bit where athletes who go lchf initially struggle with. But once you get over the fear factor that good fat is healthy and will not make you fat and the whole fasting/lchf thing is a breeze, and as i said i find i have to be careful i dont overeat as the daily menu is to tempting.
Bonus is that the fat is the tastiest part!

Bonus is that the fat is the tastiest part!
Spot on. My all time favorite is Pork Belly slow cooked in a heavy pot in the over for 4 hours. Forget crispy crackle, the skin and fat just melt in your mouth with the meat. Its to die for, plus its mega healthy.

And for all the noobs out there, when you eat that mouth watering skin and your mouth gets all sticky, that's the collagen, and to think women go to the chemist and pay a fortune for a crappy tub of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back