International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

EUROPEAN UNDER 16s

Details have been released for the inaugural European RL under 16’s tournament which will take place at the end of June.

In another first for the sport, the matches will be hosted by the Serbian Rugby League, in Belgrade.

Six teams will contest the trophy, including the ’European Celts’ which will be made up primarily of youngsters from Wales and the Czech Republic; the Welsh Rugby League having offered to help out new nations developing the code.

All the games will be played at Stadium Ada Ciganlija in the Serbian capital.

The full draw and schedule is as follows:

GROUP 1:
England
Russia
Serbia

GROUP 2:
France
Scotland
European Celts

FIXTURES

Wednesday June 27th:

Russia V Serbia
Scotland V European Celts

Friday June 29th:

Serbia V England
European Celts V France

Sunday July 1st:

England V Russia
France V Scotland

Tuesday July 3rd:

Finals Day

1st Group 1 V 1st Group 2
2nd Group 1 V 2nd Group 2
3rd Group 1 V 3rd Group 2

Meanwhile; in Montpellier, a crowd of over 1,200 saw a young France B beat the Maroc Lions 18-8 after the sides had been level 6-all at the break. Morroccan second rower Ilyass Lamarti was voted man of the match but he was unable to prevent a late French victory onslaught fashioned by the breaks of excellent loose forward Yvan Fontes.

Forget NFL: NRL is dream
Adrian Proszenko | June 17, 2007

HE'S an American college football star. He's a 112-kilogram lump of muscle. He has a shoulder charge that can dent metal. And he reckons he has what it takes to rock the NRL.

Akarika Dawn, a linebacker for the University of Colorado, is flying to Australia next month to try his hand at rugby league.

Dawn warms up in the gym with a 160kg bench press and his power clean, a weight lift up to his chin, is a staggering 145kg. And despite his huge frame, he can sprint 40 yards (37 metres) in 4.7 seconds.

Dawn's agent suggested he come to Australia for a new challenge, and he is hopeful of eventually testing himself against players such as Willie Mason and Carl Webb.

"I got a call from a guy about a month ago about trying rugby [league]," Dawn said.

"I've never tried it before, but I'm not doing much right now, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

"I've seen it on TV a few times and it didn't look too difficult. But since I've been training I've realised it's far more technical than I thought it would be.

"The game is a lot more fast-moving than American football. There's no breaks.

"I watched the State of Origin through the internet, some highlights of games. It looks fun. I think I'll have a good time playing.

"I'm just an American football player trying something different."

He has attracted interest from Penrith coach Matthew Elliott, who is willing to meet him to discuss giving him a run in the lower grades.

There have been talks about Dawn trialling with Manly's feeder club Belrose Eagles, and the Queensland Cup is another option.

Until late last night, the 23-year-old hadn't played a game of rugby league. But he's getting a crash course in the code via a three-week stint with American National Rugby League side Jacksonville Axemen under the tutelage of Brisbane product Daryl Howland, who has also played in England and France.

Dawn will arrive in Australia on July 22, with a view to joining a Jim Beam Cup side. But his ultimate goal is the NRL. "If I played a season or two to figure it out, I'm pretty sure I'd get a shot," he said. "That's pretty much my goal. I'll probably take it."

Howland has been impressed with what he's seen so far and said Dawn's thundering shoulder charges reminded him of Sonny Bill Williams in defence.

"I was very sceptical when I heard he'd had no experience, but I'm shocked, I'm really impressed," he said. "I didn't think an American football player would take to this game at all.

"I can't wait to see him tackle someone. Being a linebacker, it's all about defence and he's got no fear.

"If he puts a shoulder on someone, they're going to get hurt."

Bulldogs prop Mason, who trialled with the New York Jets last year, said the biggest challenge in the transition would be league's lack of structure.

"They are very powerful blokes, but over there the game is very structured, whereas here it is more ad lib," he said. "It will be interesting to see how he goes."

Dawn's agent, Nick Attewell, said he would also bring University of Nevada linebacker Selevasio Fauolo to trial with league clubs. Others are expected to follow.

Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright, who led US national team the Tomahawks to within a whisker of upsetting the Kangaroos in 2004, said the transition would be tough, but didn't rule out the possibility of an American footballer making it in the NRL.

"They've got a good training ethic and they're very disciplined," he said. "It's just experience [holding them back]."

Source: The Sun-Herald

Round One

Jacksonville Axemen at Aston DSC Bulls
Game Date: 6/2/07
Game Time: 12:00 pm
Game Venue: Neumann College
Referee: Ryan McGough
Full Time Score - Aston Bulls 46 def Jacksonville Axemen 18
Half Time: Bulls 20 - Axemen 6
Bulls Try Scorers: Marcus Vassilakopoulo -3, David Niu-1, Mike Edwards-1, Matt Shannon-1, Corey Sheridan-1, Darren Lewis-1, Chris Craig-1
Bulls Goals: Marcus Vassilakopoulo -1
Axemen Try Scorers: Jeff Preston (2),Conway Maraki (2), Mike Kelly
Axemen Goals: Jeff Preston (3)

New Haven Warriors at Bucks County Sharks
Game Time: 3:00 pm
Game Venue: Shark Park
Full Time Score - BC Sharks 34 def New Haven Warriors 26
Half Time: Sharks 20 - Warriors 10
Sharks Try Scorers: Zac Pdgett (2), Vaisa Korisetta (2), Don Rogers, Fred Bachaus, Avea
Sharks Goals: Derek Tuley (2/4), Don Rogers (0/2), Phil Shipos (1/1)
Warriors Try Scorers: Siose Muliumu (2), Christian Rahui, Tai Ifopo, Mike Byrne
Warriors Goals: Tai Ifopo 3/5

Philadelphia Fight at Connecticut Wildcats
Game Time: 6:00 pm
Game Venue:
Referee:
Full Time Score - Connecticut Wildcats 64 def Philadelphia Fight 4
Half Time:
Wildcats Try Scorers:
Wildcats Goals:
Fight Try Scorers:
Fight Goals:

Northern Raiders at New York Knights
Game Date:6/2/07
Game Time: 8:00 pm
Game Venue: Pier 40 NYC "The Castle"
Referee:
Full Time Score - New York Knights 56 def Northern Raiders 4
Half Time:
Knights Try Scorers:
Knights Goals:
Raiders Try Scorers:
Raiders Goals:

Fairfax Eagles at Washington DC Slayers
Game Date:6/2/07
Game Time: 8:00 pm
Game Venue:
Referee:
Full Time Score - Washington DC Slayers 20 def Fairfax Eagles 0
Half Time:
Slayers Try Scorers:
Slayers Goals:
Eagles Try Scorers:
Eagles Goals:

Round Two

Jacksonville Axemen at DC Slayers
Game Date: 6/9/07
Game Venue: Walenberg Field, Washington DC
Referee: Tony
Full Time Score - DC Slayers 34 def Jacksonville Axemen 26
Half Time: Axemen 18 - Slayers 16
Slayers Try Scorers: Maoa Laumoli (2), Jason Townes (2), Dave Faimanifo, Tai Vakatale, Robert Hilliard
Slayers Goals: Jason Townes (1), Phil Hill (2)
Axemen Try Scorers:
Axemen Goals:

NY Knights at New Haven Warriors
Game Venue: The Boulevard, New Haven CT
Referee: Rob Irwin
Full Time Score - New Haven Warriors 32 def New York Knights 22
Half Time: Warriors 18 - Knights 10
Warriors Try Scorers: Adam Hamon(1), Siose Muliumu(3), Victor Milani(1)
Warriors Goals: Blair Wards(5), Dave Fischer(1)
Knights Try Scorers: Kay(1), Best(1), Baxendale1(1), Levan(1)
Knights Goals: Kay(2), Levan(1)

Bucks County Sharks vs. Aston DSC Bulls
Game Time: 5:00 pm
Game Venue: Neumann College
Full Time Score – Aston Bulls 50 def BC Sharks 16
Half Time: Bulls 26-Sharks 6
Bulls Try Scorers:Shane Mains (2), Darren Lewis (2), Matt Shannon (1), Mike Mertz (1), Chris Craig (1), Marcus Vassilakopoulos (1), Ed Woodbridge (1), Greg Stelutti (1)
Bulls Goals: Marcus Vassilakopoulos (4/8), Rick Dortone (1/2)
Sharks Try Scorers: Steve Thompson (1), D. Nevel (1), Avea Suffia (1)
Sharks Goals: Phil Shipos (2/3)

Fairfax Eagles at Philadelphia Fight
Game Date:6/9/07
Game Time:
Game Venue:
Referee:
Full Time Score - Philadelphia Fight 20 def Fairfax Eagles 0
Half Time:
Fight Try Scorers:
Fight Goals:
Eagles Try Scorers:
Eagles Goals:

Northern Raiders at Connecticut Wildcats
Game Date:6/9/07
Game Time:
Game Venue:
Referee:
Full Time Score - Connecticut Wildcats 64 def Northern Raiders 1
Half Time:
Wildcats Try Scorers:
Wildcats Goals:
Raiders Try Scorers:
Raiders Goals:

Round Three

New York Knights at Philadelphia Fight
Game Date: 6/16/07
Game Venue: Neumann College, Aston PA
Full Time Score – NY Knights 62 def Philadelphia Fight 30
Half Time: Knights 34 - Fight 22
Knights Try Scorers: Gareth Baxendale (3), Jason Best (2), Jeremy Kosbob (2), Ryan Mulligan (1), Joe Hughes (1), Mike McGeachy (1), Baspy (1)
Knights Goals: Mike McGeachy (7/8), Danny Kay (1/1), Jeremy Kosbob (0/1), Jason Best (1/1)
Fight Try Scorers: Chris Pettine (3), Conway Maraki (2), Mike Kelly (1)
Fight Goals: Mike Kelly (3/6)

Connecticut Wildcats at DC Slayers
Game Venue: Walenberg Field, Washington DC
Referee: Tony Masiocchi
Full Time Score - Connecticut Wildcats 42 - DC Slayers 18
Half Time: Wildcats 30 - Slayers 6
Slayers Try Scorers: Maoa Laumoli, Martin O'Donoghue, Rich Nolte
Slayers Goals: Jason Townes (3)
Wildcats Try Scorers: Matt Pittman (2), Damien O'Malveeney (2), Danny Bull, Curtis Cunz, Dougie, Tim Gee
Wildcats Goals: Tim Gee 5/7
New Haven Warriors at Aston DSC Bulls
Game Date:6/16/07
Game Time: 5:00 PM
Game Venue: Neumann College, Aston PA
Referee:
Full Time Score - Aston Bulls 36 def New Haven Warriors 34
Half Time:
Bulls Try Scorers:
Bulls Goals:
Warriors Try Scorers:
Warriors Goals:

Northern Raiders at Fairfax Eagles
Game Date:6/16/07
Game Time:
Game Venue:
Referee:
Full Time Score - Northern Raiders 20 def Fairfax Eagles 0
Half Time:
Raiders Try Scorers:
Raiders Goals:
Eagles Try Scorers:
Eagles Goals:

Bucks County Sharks at Jacksonville Axemen
Game Time: 5:45 pm
Game Venue: Hodges Stadium, UNF. Jacksonville, FL
Referee: Wes King
Full Time Score - Jacksonville Axemen 32 def Bucks County Sharks 28
Half Time: Sharks 24 - Axemen 12
Axemen Try Scorers: Matt Thornton, David Croft, Rich Alleger, James Brown, Ben Catania, Akarika Dawn
Axemen Goals: Rich Alleger (3), David Croft (1)
Sharks Try Scorers: John Vella, Phil Shipos (2), Mark Vella, Steve Thompson, Dan McGovern.
Sharks Goals: Steve Thompson (2)

Jacksonville (USA) v Jamaican rep team

The Jacksonville Axemen will be hosting the Jamaican Rugby League Team in an effort to help spread the sport of Rugby League around the world and to increase the exposure to the City of Jacksonville as a great supporter of the sport here in the USA
The Jacksonville Axemen will be hosting and are helping fund a representative team from Jamaica for 4 days over the Aug 4th weekend and will be providing the visiting team with the chance to have a real international tour and training camp prior to the game. The team will arrive into Florida on Aug 2nd and the Axemen will transport them to Jacksonville from their arriving airport to help keep travel cost to a minimum for the visiting team
The Jamaicans will go into a mini training camp all day on Friday to get ready for the match on Saturday August 4th, that will be held at Hodges Stadium at UNF, with kickoff at 5.45pm. They Axemen have outlined a schedule for the visitors to allow them to get plenty of training opportunities, a gym session and some relaxation time before the game. The tour is being designed to allow them to experience the sport at the most professional level the Axemen can provide.
Co-Founder and coach for the Jacksonville Axemen, Spinner Howland was very excited at this development and said, “Last year the Axemen hosted Jamaican player Damon Gayle for some of our season and his efforts got us interested in the sport being played so close to Florida. When you look at a map, they are closer to us than our closest USA team. After Damon left us we started some great communications with the administrators of the game in Jamaica and we have finally been able to offer them this opportunity. We are very fortunate to have the support of our sponsors, our fans, and the great City of Jacksonville. As an organization we are committed to exposing as many people as possible to Rugby League and we have no problem investing some of our own money and time to allow us to host such a high profile game to achieve that goal”
The Axemen have had discussions with the AMNRL and the Fairfax Eagles, who they were scheduled to play on August 4th, and all have agreed to work the domestic schedule around this international match to allow the Axemen to proceed with this venture. The willingness of both the AMNRL and all the domestic clubs goes to show that everyone involved with the sport in the USA is prepared to do whatever it takes to be apart of its Worldwide expansion.
This game will bring the spotlight on the City of Jacksonville as a great home for Rugby League in the USA and will allow all the Axemen supporters a chance to see true international Rugby League in their home stadium. All the Axemen sponsors will also be included in the game and they will all get the same amount of exposure as if it was a domestic game. They get the international spotlight just as much as the players do. Axemen season ticket holders will get admission to this game for no additional cost and the game day entry and all other pricing will stay the same as domestic games.
The Axemen issued a great thanks to Romeo Monteith and the rest of the Jamaican Rugby League staff for making this possible. They also want to thank Damon Gayle for being the seed for this venture and to Dane Campbell from Australia, who was a big part in starting the great sport or Rugby League on the Island of Jamaica.
The Axemen are hoping to secure some additional sponsors that have a connection to Jamaica for this international game.
More details about this game can be obtained by contacting Spinner Howland at spinner@jaxaxe.com

U/16's EURO CUP in Belgrade, Serbia

Results:

Serbia 22 bt Russia 10
Celts 26 bt Scotland 14

England 46 Serbia 0
France 40 bt Celts 6

England 70 bt Russia 0
France 32 bt Scotland 0

UNDER 16’S ‘DREAM TEAM’

In the wake of England’s sensational 14-12 win over France in the final of the six-team Rugby League European Nations under 16’s Tournament in Serbia, a mythical ‘dream team’ from the week-long extravaganza has been selected.

The players were nominated by each Nations’ management group, representatives of the Rugby League European Federation and the match officials; with Tournament Director Jovan Vujosevic having the casting vote.

Those youngsters chosen received a specially commissioned jersey in recognition of their prowess. The jerseys were sponsored by;

Atkins (www.atkinsglobal.com) who plans, designs and enables the delivery of complex capital programmes for clients in the public and private sectors across the globe. Atkins is the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe; the largest engineering consultancy in the UK; and the world’s third largest design firm. It employs 16,800 permanent staff.

RUGBY LEAGUE EUROPEAN NATIONS UNDER 16’S ‘DREAM TEAM’

1: Morgan Escare: France

2: Quentin Nauroy: France

3: Darren Seeds: England

4: Dejan Hafizovic: Serbia

5: Clement Soubeyras: France

6: Filip Brkic: Serbia

7: Greg McNally: England

8: Michael Lithgow: England

9: Kyle Blackmore: Euro Celts

10: James Donovan: England

11: Timur Khasanov: Russia

12: Jake Brown: Euro Celts

13: Tom Beaumont: Euro Celts

CARNEGIE STUDENT ASHES

The Great Britain Academic Lions squared the Carnegie Student Ashes series after a pulsating 31 - 24 victory over their Australian rivals last night (Wednesday) at Widnes Viking’s Halton Stadium to set up a series deciding Test this weekend.

The GB Students must now beat the Australians to win the series when they play the final Test this Sunday at Wakefield Trinity Wildcats' Belle Vue Stadium as a curtain raiser to the engage Super League fixture.

Last night's game was a thrilling encounter with a constantly shifting scoreline in the best traditions of Anglo-Australian sporting rivalries.

The Academic Lions clinched victory in the final stages thanks to a late try from Stuart Sanderson and a drop goal from Ian Gordon.

The GB Students are now appealing for the support of as many fans as possible for their series clinching clash on Sunday.

The RFL's Student Rugby League Manager Matt Jeffery commented: "Both teams have worked really hard during the Carnegie Student Ashes and produced displays of exciting and entertaining Rugby League.

"I'm sure any supporters who head to Belle Vue early on Sunday would appreciate what they see and I know the GB players would certainly appreciate their vocal support."

Carnegie Student Ashes Series - the story so far...

GB Academic Lions 18 Australian Universities 22
at Headingley Carnegie Stadium

GB Academic Lions 31 Australian Universities 24
at Halton Stadium, Widnes

GB Academic Lions v Australian Universities
15/7/07 - ko 12.45pm
at Belle Vue, Wakefield

RLEF DEVELOPMENT TRI NATIONS

The first ever rugby league international in Heidleberg saw SERBIA run out 38-6 victors over GERMANY in the opening clash of the Rugby League European Federation Development Tri-Nations Tournament.

The match was a personal triumph for Serbian loose forward and the TD Travel Group (www.tdtravelgroup.com) Man of match Dalibor Vukanovic, who celebrated his 21st birthday with a stunning performance which yielded a try and six goals, while he also had a hand in the majority of his side’s five other touchdowns.

The visitor’s greater experience and fitness, gained from playing a series of incoming tourists over recent weeks, told at the end of each half but there was plenty of encouragement for the eager Germans who were in the contest for long spells.

Hooker Zoran Pesic opened the scoring with a typical dart from close in on the fifth minute but the Germans levelled when Simon Cooper’s break from his own quarter and reverse pass freed Nick Kleinhorst; his brother Marcus converting.

Just after the half hour, 19 year old second rower Soni Radovanovic powered on to a slick, short pass from Vukanovic who then finished a well worked move, taking the final pass from his skipper Radoslav Novakovic.

Vukanovic landed a penalty to make it 18-6 at the break but the Germans responded well after the interval and kept their opponents scoreless for 22 minutes.

A well rehearsed scrum move saw Serbian full back Nenad Matejic break the deadlock, his try adding to an earlier conversion, and as the Germans tired, Milos Milnako forced his way over.

In their eagerness to claim another score, the hosts spilt the ball in their own quarter, Nikola Jerkovic pouncing on the loose ball to sweep in for the final try; Vukanovic adding the conversion and a last minute penalty.

Undaunted German skipper Leo Berngruber commented, “It was a fantastic effort from our boys today. We can’t wait to go on to Prague now to play the Czech Republic on the 4th August.”

Rugby League European Federation Development Executive Kevin Rudd added, “It was very pleasing to see how the Germans fronted up and their next contest will be an intriguing encounter based on this experience. Their organisation has attracted some very capable people on and off the field and they are making steady progress despite certain obstacles being put in their way. The experience of the Serbs told and their greater exposure to the sport by way of their domestic competition also showed.”

Before the match, the hosts’ preparations were disrupted when Heidleberg Lions’ Mike Kerr was threatened with a ban by the head coach of the German Rugby Union side if he played League.

WOMENS RUGBY LEAGUE - England v France

Wakefield Panthers’ player Natalie Gilmour has been appointed captain of the England Womens Rugby League team for the forthcoming international against France.

Gilmour - who is the sister of St Helens and Great Britain star Lee Gilmour - will lead the new look England side in the match which takes place this Saturday in Albi at Stade Municipal de Lescure d’Albigeois (ko 8pm).

The match is the first international for a UK women’s team since 2003 and it is also the first as an "England" women’s team (the Great Britain format has been used previously).

Commenting on her appointment, Natalie Gilmour said: "I am really thrilled to be named as Captain.As a Rugby League player it doesn’t really get better than leading your country. We are preparing for a really tough match against the French as we don’t know a great deal about them so that’s th eonly approach we can take.

"I haven’t thought a great deal about the moment when the national anthems are playing before the game and we’re just about to kick-off. I don’t think you can prepare for moments like that so I’ll just be concentrating on the team’s overall performance and giving whatever support I can to my team mates."

And Natalie revealed that she has already discussed her new appointment with her brother and fellow international Lee.

"He’s really chuffed for me. We had a chat about it when I found out"; said Natalie.

"There’s no rivalry between us as players and we do make an effort to go and watch each others games whenever we can."

The 18-strong squad has been selected as part of an enhanced women’s Rugby League representative playing structure introduced by the RFL. The selection process has involved a series of regional representative matches in which players have been able to demonstrate their talents.

The squad will be coached by Joe Warburton and assisted by Neil Gregg as well as former women’s Rugby League international Brenda Dobek.

The England Womens Rugby League squad (alphabetical order) :

Lindsay Anfield Wakefield Panthers
Aimee Bradshaw Warrington Wolves
Danielle Bose Bradford Thunderbirds
Sue Cochrane Wakefield Panthers
Andrea Dobson Hillside Hawks
Amanda Donaldson Copeland Wildcats
Natalie Gilmour Wakefield Panthers (Capt)
Michelle Greenwood Wakefield Panthers
Claire Hall Copeland Wildcats
Sarah Harrison Hillside Hawks
Debbie Hodgkinson Wakefield Town Panthers
Vicky Molyneux Hillside Hawks
Christina Ovendon London Sharks
Emma Slowe Wakefield Panthers
Danielle Titterington Bradford Thunderbirds
Rachel Twibill Bradford Thunderbirds
Beth Sutcliffe Hillside Hawks
Gemma Walsh Wakefield Panthers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Souths and Leeds will hold pre-season training camp in Jacksonville in 2008

Tomahawks may join the Camp and play exhibition matches

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 2 JULY 2007

SOUTH SYDNEY AND LEEDS FORM INTERNATIONAL PARTNERSHIP

• South Sydney Rabbitohs and Leeds Rhinos form global partnership
• Clubs plan 2008 pre-season match in the United States
• South Sydney and Leeds to share information on aspects of running a Football Club

Two of the most famous names in world Rugby League, the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Leeds Rhinos, have today announced a ground breaking partnership that will see the Clubsplay each other in the United States of America in 2008 and opens up the possibility of a player exchange between the two organisations.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs, part owned by Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes à Court, are the National Rugby League’s most successful Club having won 20 premierships, and are one of the oldest Clubs in Australia having been one of the foundation Clubs of the game in 1908. The Rabbitohs will be celebrating their centenary in 2008 whilst Leeds are the best supportedRugby Club in either Rugby League or Rugby Union in the United Kingdom.

Both Clubs are enjoying good seasons on the field with the Rabbitohs having secured theirseventh win for the season and are challenging for a spot in the top eight. The Rhinos aresitting in equal first position on the ladder having won 13 of 18 matches so far this season.

It is hoped that the partnership between the two Clubs will improve the standards of the organisations both on and off the field by sharing concepts and best practice so that both Clubs can be leaders in their respective competitions.

Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson, who is currently in England to finalise the details of the agreement, said: “Our owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes à Court have always looked to take the South Sydney brand across the world and this is another step along the way.

“We are excited about forming a partnership with Leeds Rhinos, who are a leader on and off the field in the UK and we look forward to working with them to create the two best Rugby League Clubs in the world.”

Rabbitohs Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court said: “The Rabbitohs are committed to developing World's best practice in every part of our Club - from player preparation tomarketing to Member services.

“This partnership is a key element of our progress as a Club. It gives us access to the enormous experience inside the Leeds multi-sport group. We also believe our 99 years in oneof the World’s toughest sports markets has taught us a few things we look forward to sharing with our friends in Leeds.”

Commenting on the partnership Leeds Chief Executive Gary Hetherington said: “This is a first in Rugby League and an exciting and innovative development for both Clubs.

“Leeds and South Sydney are two of the most recognised brands in world Rugby League and we each have a proud history with some of the greatest players to ever play the game having graced both Clubs.

“This is a new way for us to take our Clubs forward in the global market. Between us we have the most passionate supporter base in the world both in our own countries but also in overseasmarkets and this is a natural progression for us.”

The details of the partnership include:

• Inaugural joint training camp starting next year in the USA
o Areas such as sports medicine, strength and fitness programs and also the pureinteraction between players and coaching staff to share best practices so that both Clubs are able to be at the cutting edge of new and innovative ideas.

• Pre-season match
o As a culmination of the training camp, a match between the two Clubs will be played as a pre-season trial game. The Clubs are seeking TV rights for this match.

• Player exchange
o To investigate the possibility of players, particularly junior playing staff, being able to have loan spells in the UK or Australia. This will include a joint understanding that neither Club will approach players from their partner.

• Improve each Clubs global brand exposure
o Seek ways and means of jointly helping each other expand our brands in
England, Australia, the USA and the Far East. Both Leeds and South Sydney have an aggressive approach to marketing of Rugby League on both sides of the world and want to join forces to actively promote their brands and Rugby League in general.

• Staff exchanges
o Up to four staff exchanges have been proposed per year. The first of these starts on Monday with Rabbitohs Chief Operating Officer Brandon Punter being embedded with Leeds for a month. Graham Davey, Leeds’ Player Performance Manager will travel to Australia in July. They will be involved in studying best practices, swapping ideas and staff development. The program is designed so that both Clubs can recruit and maintain the best staff for both organisations. The two Clubs are trying to expand the knowledge of staff so that they can grow and remain within each others organisation.

• Corporate opportunities
o Both Clubs are looking to get involved with corporate sponsors who are looking to leverage their brands in Australia and England. Both organisations are discovering more and more opportunities with companies who are established in both countries.

• Merchandise
o Both Clubs have the most pro-active merchandise programs in Rugby League and both organisations have the same clothing and merchandise sponsor in International Sports Clothing (ISC). The Clubs are now able to work together to create more new and innovative ideas for the expansion of their respected ranges. This is the first time this has happened on such a large scale in the world of Rugby League.

For further information on the Rabbitohs visit the Club’s official website at www.souths.com.au.

For further information on the Rhinos visit the Club’s official website at www.leedsrugby.com.

For more information please contact:
Jeremy Monahan (Rabbitohs) on +61412 240 197 or jmonahan@souths.com.au.Phil Daly (Rhinos) on +447885 995330 or phil.daly@leedsrugby.com.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are the most successful Club in Rugby League. Established in 1908, the South Sydney Club has won 20 first
grade premierships and provided 62 internationals for the Australian side, and have famously worn their cardinal red and myrtle green colours since inception. In 1925, South Sydney was dubbed ‘The Pride of the League’ and the Rabbitohs are known as this to this day. The rebirth of the Rabbitohs began on 7 June, 2006 through a new partnership between Russell Crowe, Peter Holmes à Court and the 8000 Members of the Club.

CEO: Shane Richardson Coach: Jason Taylor
Exec Chairman: Peter Holmes à Court Media: Jeremy Monahan
Membership hotline – 02 8306 9953
www.souths.com.au/join

BECOME A MEMBER OF SSFC TODAY
CONTACT THE RABBITOHS FOR MORE DETAILS - (02) 8306 9953

CELEBRATING TEN YEARS OF RUGBY LEAGUE
IN AMERICA IN 2007

Wales 'A' 16 dr Ireland 'A' 16
England 42 bt Scotland 40

Wales A have it all to do against England in Blackwood next month after being held to a 16-16 draw by Ireland A in Carlow on Saturday.

But they will know the task that they have to face to win the championship next month as Ireland travel to Scotland the day before they face the English.

Wales and Ireland are now joint top of the league on three points out of four with England a point behind following their 42-40 win over the Scots today.

However Wales skipper Karl Hocking said that knowing the result beforehand may not be to their benefit.

“We’ll know what we have to do but this could work against us,” Hocking said. “If we know we may have to score 20 points for example, we may be concentrating more on that than playing our normal game. However, we have an advantage against England being at home and we’re confident of beating them as I feel we let Ireland off the hook today.”

Wales took the lead on 20 minutes after Lee Williams followed up his own chip and beat the Irish defenders to score.

Hocking barged from the line eight minutes later with Paul Emmanuelli converting to make it 10-0 but Wales took their eye off the ball too much before half-time and their errors let Phil Purdue in for Ireland’s opening try on the interval with Liam Walsh converting.

Wales started the second half well with an early length of the field try by David James that was once again converted by Emmanuelli but they once again let Ireland back in.

Liam Walsh scored from close range on 48 minutes converting it himself while Eimhin Griffiths leveled things up scoring with ten minutes remaining.

Crucially, Walsh couldn’t make it a hat-trick of conversions which led for an

exciting last part of the game with Wales closest to getting a winner after Gareth David’s drop-goal attempt went wide.

Wales’ team manager Gavin Walker was disappointed that Wales couldn’t get the win commenting: “I feel we dominated more than half of the game, but we couldn’t finish our moves. It was a few silly mistakes let Ireland back in and in the end we showed character to keep it at 16-16.”

Coach Wayne Williams added: “Both sides had some very good individuals, and I think we did well seeing seven of our boys today were under 21. I’m very proud of them all.”

Ireland: 1 Alan McNamara (Treaty City Titans), 2 Lemaki Viapulu (Treaty City Titans), 3 Wayne Kelly (Portadown Pumas), 4 Mike Brodie (Treaty City Titans), 5 Eimhin Griffiths (Athlone Arrows), 6 Steve Gibbons (Carlow Crusaders) Capt, 7 Matt Ashe (Tullamore Knights), 8 Clive Gee (Portlaoise Panthers), 9 Liam Walsh (Siddal), 10 Phil Purdue (North Dublin Eagles), 11 Sean Hennessy (Carlow Crusaders), 12 Russell Armstrong (Carlow Crusaders), 13 Kevin O'Riordan (Treaty City Titans), 14 Bernard Westman (Tullamore Knights), 15 Brian Rushe (Tullamore Knights), 16 Mick Harte (Tullamore Knights), 17 Ross Barbour (Carlow Crusaders), 18 Mark Hanrahan (Treaty City Titans)

Tries: Purdue (39), Walsh (48), Griffiths (70)
Goals: Walsh 2/3

Wales squad: 1 Neil Dixon (Bridgend Blue Bulls), 2 Lee Williams (Valley Cougars), 3 Christian Roets (Bridgend Blue Bulls), 5 Daniel Blethyn (NPT Steelers), 4 David James (Blackwood Bulldogs), 6 Paul Emmanuelli (Blackwood Bulldogs), 7 Gareth David (Bridgend Blue Bulls), 8 Karl Hocking (Bridgend Blue Bulls), 9 Miles Davies (Cardiff Demons), 10 Joey Davies (Cardiff Demons), 11 Dean Scully (NPT Steelers), 12 John Bowd (Newport Titans), 13 Matthew Entwhistle (Torfaen Tigers), 14 Owen Lewis (Valley Cougars), 115 Steve Mayley (Torfaen Tigers), 6 Jason Hill (Torfaen Tigers), 17 Anthony Watts (Valley Cougars), 18 Mark Jones (Valley Cougars)

Tries: Williams (20), Hocking (28), James (43)
Goals: Emmanuelli 2/3

GREAT BRITAIN STUDENTS

Over two days of enthralling action, the GB Student Pioneers made huge steps with the introduction of rugby league in Latvia.

The Students first worked with their Latvian hosts to show them the principles, structure and tactics of rugby league. On Saturday, a tri-nations 9 a side competition then took place in Riga between GB, Latvia and a party of Estonians who had travelled the 600 kilometres from Tallinn. In scorching temperatures, the Estonians with British support shocked the watching fans with a suprise victory by 20 points to 12 to take the Riga trophy.

A day later, Latvia played their first ever full international against the GB Students. This time, with their reputation on the line the Students were comfortable victors by 64 ponts to nil. Outstanding for GB were Irish full back Shaun Quinn and Scottish whippet Euan Rose. The Latvians remained competitive for most of the game until Welsh winger Brett Chandler crossed for his second try after 60 minutes. Great promise was shown by most of the Latvian players with Kaspars Jakuss, Juris Beikmanis, and Kaspars Ukis showing a real flair for the sport of rugby league. But outstanding for the Latvians and justly their man of the match was prop forward Oskars Elferts.

After the game, the Latvians showed their appreciation for the efforts of the Pioneers by providing a lavish buffet. Kevin Rudd, European Development Officer was present throughout the whole of the weekend. He commented "Events such as these are critical not just to rugby league but to the development of a sporting culture to nations such as Latvia. Several members of the Latvian squad showed they have the potential, if spotted, to play at a high standard in the UK."

Pioneers Team Manager, Gerard Keenan also said "The GB Student Pioneers provide a wonderful opportunity to develop the sport of rugby league. This is the third trip for the Pioneers following Estonia in 2005 and the Czech Republic a year later. We are happy to see both of those countries continuing to move forward as witnessed this weekend and in the forthcoming Tri-Nations match between the Czech Republic and Germany in Prague on 4 August."

He continued, "The Pioneers squad has equal representation from each of the Four Nations and students have demonstrated over many years that they are the ideal ambassadors to help others to learn this wonderful sport of rugby league."

Now that the Fijian club competition is finished attention moves to the new provincial competition, the Super 6. As well as this new competition players lucky enough to be selected for the Fijian Bati team have the South Pacific games in Samoa during August aswell as games against the Junior Kangaroos and Tonga in October to look forward to. Plenty on offer in Fijian rugby league.

From the Fijian Times:
League, sponsor help the needy
RODNEY DUTHIE
Friday, July 27, 2007

+ Enlarge this image

Showcasing their jerseys for the new FNRL Vodafone Super Six rugby league competition
THE Super Six Rugby League competition kicks off today with the idea to assist the less privileged in society.

Every dollar out of each ticket sold from the competition will go towards the charitable organisations namely the Treasure Home in Ba, Dilkusha Home in Nausori and the children of Vatukoula.

The idea is the initiative of the Super Six Rugby League sponsor Vodafone and the Fiji National Rugby League (FNRL) board.

Vodafone chief marketing officer Avanthi Senaratne said they were saddened with the plight and suffering of the people of Vatukoula and urged rugby league fans to turn up in numbers during the matches.

The teams competing are Jetset Nadi, Lautoka Warriors, Nasinu Tigers, Suva Bluez, Fiji Saints and Tailevu Bulls.

Competition will be held over six weeks with the first matches kicking off today at the Vodafone Prince Charles Park between the Jetset Nadi and the Warriors and at the Post Fiji Stadium between the Tigers and the Bluez.

FNRL official Tomi Finau said the competition was another step up from the Vodafone Cup which had 13 teams from the West and East confederations.

Members of the Fiji Bati squad to the South Pacific Games will be allowed to participate for their respective teams until they near the time of their departure, Finau said.

The competition will be of a higher level and we hope to see an improvement from the players.

The winner of the competition, to be decided on August 31, will receive the Dr Kemueli Musunamasi Trophy and medals.

67279.jpg

The new Super 6 captains line up for photo shoot. From Fijian Times.

Gee, who would want to play rugby league against those blokes? They are absolute giants and the Fijians always hit hard.

Rugby league seems to be going from strength to strength in Fiji which is similar to the strengths experienced by most rugby league playing nations.

Jacksonville (USA) bt Jamaica

The Jacksonville Axemen have come out victorious against the Jamaican Rugby League Team in what was one of the best games seen in the two years of the Axemen history.
The game was watched by a record number of 1500 fans and every one of them was on the edge of their seats for most of the game.

With the Axemen size dominance over the visitors their was plenty of classic big hits and some great hard runs up the middle that got the crowd behind the Axemen form the first kick off.

The Jamaicans, not be outdone had plenty of their own excitement to show the Jacksonville fans with some great ball movement and blinding speed that allowed them plenty of yards in the outside backs.

The Axemen opened the scoring early with 2 great trys from set plays before the speed of the Jamaican back line found room on the wing and went in to open their scoring account. The first half seen plenty of action from both teams and the teams went into halftime with the Axemen up 20 to 10.

The second half was just as exciting and when the Jamaicans stunned the Axemen with a powerful run up the middle to add 6 more points to the scoreboard.

As the game wore on the toll of travel and training camp over the past 3 days took some effect on the Jamaican team and the Axemen were thankful as the fitness level and speed up until that point seemed to be swinging in the Island Nations favor. During the last periods of the game the Axemen got a few lucky breaks and bounces of the ball that allowed them to go out winners with some room to spare but the scoreboard did not adequately reflect the closeness of the entire game.

With only 3 weeks until the Axemen host the AMNRL Grand Final in Jacksonville it was a great build up to get a potential 1500 fans to witness the best 2 teams in the competition as they via for the National Championship. The game was a statement to everyone who attended just how exciting the sport of Rugby League is to even the most novice fan.

RLEF SHIELD

Germany, with outstanding loose forward Danny Stocks in hat trick form, beat the Czech Republic 44-22 in the second ‘Rugby League European Federation Shield’ encounter in Prague.

The result makes Serbia the favourites to lift the Development Tri-Nations silverware after they defeated the Germans last month and now host the Czech’s in Belgrade in a fortnight.

The contest was even in the opening period but the greater power and experience of the Germans – who only led by two points at the break – proved decisive.

Man of the match was visiting prop Benedikt Rehm whose frequent surging runs were unstoppable while Czech skipper Michal Priputen worked tremendously hard and was well supported by front rowers Antonin Brabec and Tomas Holovski.

Germany fielded four brothers in their side; Marcus, James Krisitian and Nick Keinhorst, who between them shared 24 points.

UKRAINE RL

Ukranian rugby league official Artur Martyrosyan has just become the first of his countrymen to qualify to coach the sport.

He came over to London last week to attend the regional performance camp for under 13s, 14s and 15s and, having been given specialist one-to-one tuition, qualified to take the principles and laws of the sport back to his native land.

It is anticipated that the Ukranians will now develop a national association for the code and apply to formally join the Rugby League European Federation.

Development Executive for the RLEF, Kevin Rudd, commented, "Artur really enjoyed being part of the performance camp. He gained invaluable insight and experience of seeing the sport broken down into its component skills. Thanks must go the team in the capital for so readily including him."

Camp director, Caro Wild, who is the Rugby Football League's Regional Development Manager for London & The South added, "The camp is part of the RFL's performance programme which seeks to identify and develop the best young talent in what is a rapidly expanding region. The growing player base is constantly increasing standards and it was good for Artur to see what can be achieved in a development area."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back