Irish Experiment = Failure

Irish Experiment Worth Going on with or Stop?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it was a good idea at the Start to look at Kids from Ireland but it really has been a Fail. They have the Athletic Ability but they have no Footy Smarts. Only Jimmy Stynes and Pearce Henley has got it in the AFL.

Look at who we have Recruited from Ireland:

• Marty Clarke - Was really good in his 1st Stint but got Homesick and went home but came back but has not been the same since
  • Kevin Dyas - Real Tryer but never looked like making it at AFL Level
  • Paul Cribbin - Tall Guy who can run but was gone in 1 year
  • Calon Mooney - Absolute Speedster but no footy Brain or Sense

Sean White went ok too! Setanta and Colm Begley are probably the only other two that have had an impact.

I think with Irish recruits it's really a case of casting the net wide and hoping you find a gem like Hanley or Kenneally. Considering they have their own rookie classification it doesn't really bother me taking a punt on them, but I don't see Mooney making it at a senior level, you need to have more than just pure athletic ability to be successful now at an AFL level.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Clarke showed it could be done, I think he would be best 22 if he never went back to Ireland.

Mooney shows plenty and you need to give him time to learn the game, already good at VFL level.

Considering how low risk it is to give up a cat-B rookie spot for them you can't say it's been a failure.
Mooney has a better chance to make it then most rookies.

Well it was a good idea at the Start to look at Kids from Ireland but it really has been a Fail. They have the Athletic Ability but they have no Footy Smarts. Only Jimmy Stynes and Pearce Henley has got it in the AFL.

What about Zach Toughy

I agree , its disheartening that Clarke takes up a spot on our list and goes back home then comes back and sits on our list being a list clogger. Sure theres many VFL players who would give better output

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke showed it could be done, I think he would be best 22 if he never went back to Ireland.

Mooney shows plenty and you need to give him time to learn the game, already good at VFL level.

Considering how low risk it is to give up a cat-B rookie spot for them you can't say it's been a failure.
Mooney has a better chance to make it then most rookies.

Most of our rookies?

I doubt it. Martin is ahead of him in the forward line and midfield and Yagmoor is ahead of him in the backline.

The relatively higher % recruiting decisions these days include those underutilised talents at the bottom of opposition lists, mature agers and indigenous talent who all have above average rates of success when considering their draft positions/what pick was spent to acquire relative to other draft prospects at those respective decisions.

I would overall though agree that "the Irish experiment" is on the "rarely works" side of the spectrum and a very low % recruiting choice. In saying that with the category 1 and category 2 rookies it doesn't matter so much now where even if they fail, nothing is lost. You can only have one Irish rookie as a category 2 rookie and under that rule as an alternative talent pathway rookie they don't take a list position away from anyone else. But again I'd rather some rare athlete who has been out of the game but still has some talent such as Mark Blicavs or Essendon rookie Johnny Rayner as well as the big, athletic beasts of American basketball converts would be the other type of category 2 rookie I'd be looking harder at first.

Most of our rookies?

I doubt it. Martin is ahead of him in the forward line and midfield and Yagmoor is ahead of him in the backline.

Mooney has played about 2 games in defence in his life so you might be going a bit early there.. If Martin makes it (and I doubt it) it will be as a midfielder.

Mooney has all the attributes to be a good player, just needs more game time to develop his understanding of the game

The relatively higher % recruiting decisions these days include those underutilised talents at the bottom of opposition lists, mature agers and indigenous talent who all have above average rates of success when considering their draft positions/what pick was spent to acquire relative to other draft prospects at those respective decisions.

I would overall though agree that "the Irish experiment" is on the "rarely works" side of the spectrum and a very low % recruiting choice. In saying that with the category 1 and category 2 rookies it doesn't matter so much now where even if they fail, nothing is lost. You can only have one Irish rookie as a category 2 rookie and under that rule as an alternative talent pathway rookie they don't take a list position away from anyone else. But again I'd rather some rare athlete who has been out of the game but still has some talent such as Mark Blicavs or Essendon rookie Johnny Rayner as well as the big, athletic beasts of American basketball converts would be the other type of category 2 rookie I'd be looking harder at first.

What about Alex Keath

What about Alex Keath

Keath, Mark Cisco, Marlon Picket, Hugh Greenwood where some names the Herald Sun came up with last year.

Any of them could be strong options, I'd also look for national level athletes - preferably middle-long distance as it's something lacking on the Colingwood list and a real point of difference clubs really desire in the modern game. You only have to look at the way Fremantle run both ways in transition to get a feel for how valuable it can be when guys can do cover that ground quickly and do it for 120 minutes of game time.

Mooney has played about 2 games in defence in his life so you might be going a bit early there.. If Martin makes it (and I doubt it) it will be as a midfielder.

Mooney has all the attributes to be a good player, just needs more game time to develop his understanding of the game

Yes because all you need in AFL is speed.

Elite speed and leap, accurate shot on goal, good kick around ground, good tackler... don't need much else to be a good forward.

Still only been playing AFL for 3 years.

His field kicking isn't that good. He also doesn't have any game sense. He isn't good in traffic and often doesn't know what to do with the ball.

Back