Irish recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit to having this sneaky inner-wish that Sean has been working his arse off on his kicking and marking skills during his time away, in order to be a surprise packet swing-man for us early next season (...where better to train out of the public eye, than on a Gaelic football field half a world away?)

Still... it's more of a pipe-dream than a realistic scenario, and I'm probably saddling the guy with unfair expectations in the process.

Welcome Sean regardless! Good to have you on board.

I must admit to having this sneaky inner-wish that Sean has been working his arse off on his kicking and marking skills during his time away, in order to be a surprise packet swing-man for us early next season (...where better to train out of the public eye, than on a Gaelic football field half a world away?)

Still... it's more of a pipe-dream than a realistic scenario, and I'm probably saddling the guy with unfair expectations in the process.

Welcome Sean regardless! Good to have you on board.

I guess the better place would be with a bunch of guys who already know how to play the game, and who can teach you.

Will be interesting to see how his pre-season goes.

I think the last 12 months was about him growing up. Forfilling child hood dreams about playing for Kildare (?) and maturing. I vaguely recall him getting in trouble for alcohol related shenanigans when I looked him up last year. Can't find the articles this year. Maybe i was dreaming I read about 1-2 alcohol related misdemeanors.

First came over for the 2012 combine and so at least he's had plenty of time to think about it and at 22 I'd expect him to be mature enough to have a good crack at it now that he has committed. Said it before but it really will be interesting to hear how much AFL training he's done since trialing with us and if he's done much at all I suppose we'll know soon enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and Peter Bell wasn't a good footballer

I have never said he wasn't a good footballer; He was outstanding if you wanted a small, slow player playing a loose man in defence in junk time gathering possessions with accurate 15 to 20 metre chips. Indeed he was proficient at running down time trying to minimise damage.
Our erudite little champ would not crack the best 22 this year.

I have never said he wasn't a good footballer; He was outstanding if you wanted a small, slow player playing a loose man in defence in junk time gathering possessions with accurate 15 to 20 metre chips. Indeed he was proficient at running down time trying to minimise damage.
Our erudite little champ would not crack the best 22 this year.

What a load of rubbish, won a best and fairest in a premiership year ahead of Wayne Carey. Would be our best midfielder bar Fyfe. Obviously a youngster you are, anyone who saw him live would remember he was like Neale on steroids.

What a load of rubbish, won a best and fairest in a premiership year ahead of Wayne Carey. Would be our best midfielder bar Fyfe. Obviously a youngster you are, anyone who saw him live would remember he was like Neale on steroids.

This is what makes it inexplicable, pretty sure Fred is quite the veteran.

That's bloody ridiculous. Best midfielder bar Fyfe, FCS.
Which of our midfielders is slower than P.Bell
Which of our midfielders is not a better mark than P.Bell
Which of our midfielders is not a longer kick Than P.Bell
Which of our midfielders does not tackle better than P.Bell

Now let's see, Stephen Hill ? nah . Much faster, bigger, better mark, better kick. Just no. P.Bell doesn't keep him out.
Michael Barlow ? Nup. Much bigger and stronger, much longer kick, better handballer, much stronger mark and significantly faster . P.Bell doesn't keep him out.
David Mundy ? No, afraid not mate. Just three times better at everything than P.Bell. P.Bell doesn't keep him out.

So, Peter doesn't crack it in our midfield.
Would we play him in our forward line this year when he has to stay within 36 metres of the goal because that's his maximum range ?... No way.
Would he push out any of our current, efficient defenders ? they are all bigger, stronger, faster, better kicks and stronger tacklers. So, no again.
Would he sneak onto our interchange bench and keep out anyone who is bigger, faster, stronger, a better mark and a more damaging kick ?
That last one doesn't even need answering.

Obviously a youngster ? Mate, I have forgotten more than you'll ever know about football.
You have just gone along with the sheep mentality and been sucked into the peter Bell myth.

Last edited:
That's bloody ridiculous. Best midfielder bar Fyfe, FCS.
Which of our midfielders is slower than P.Bell
Which of our midfielders is not a better mark than P.Bell
Which of our midfielders is not a longer kick Than P.Bell
Which of our midfielders does not tackle better than P.Bell

Now let's see, Stephen Hill ? nah . Much faster, bigger, better mark, better kick. Just no. P.Bell doesn't keep him out.
Michael Barlow ? Nup. Much bigger and stronger, much longer kick, better handballer, much stronger mark and significantly faster . P.Bell doesn't keep him out.
David Mundy ? No, afraid not mate. Just three times better at everything than P.Bell. P.Bell doesn't keep him out.

So, Peter doesn't crack it in our midfield.
Would we play him in our forward line this year when he has to stay within 36 metres of the goal because that's his maximum range ?... No way.
Would he push out any of our current, efficient defenders ? they are all bigger, stronger, faster, better kicks and stronger tacklers. So, no again.
Would he sneak onto our interchange bench and keep out anyone who is bigger, faster, stronger and a more damaging kick ?
That last one doesn't even need answering.

Daniel Bandy was bigger, faster, a long kick and a good mark. Didn't make him a better footballer. Peter Bell was a captain, multiple club champion (at two clubs) and an all Australian.

Daniel Bandy was bigger, faster, a long kick and a good mark. Didn't make him a better footballer. Peter Bell was a captain, multiple club champion (at two clubs) and an all Australian.

Now, that's ridiculous.
If you needed a ruckman he would be selected ahead of Bell.
That's the whole point. Bell would not get a game in our current best 22.
I've never seen a more restricted, so called champion in my life.

The sucess rate for the irish recruits would be pretty similar to standard rookie list players. Not a waste of time. And the money is off the cap and woukd only go to the WAFC to develop draftees for the other 16 clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back