Is Matt Spangher the new Johnny Barker?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not confusing him with Arthur, the Whistler?
Arthur is the guy in blue who holds up the "What a Victory" sign.

He's a great guy, the most passionate Hawk ever!

The Lift guy is very different
Nah this is the lift guy. Seen him break the fence at the G cause he kicked it so hard and got thrown out a couple years ago. Constantly walking up the aisle waving his arms yelling lift

Wasn't the Lift guy part of the old cheer squad. I remember at Waverley he used to sit not far from where I sat high up in the stand on the wing and they used to be part of the old cheer squad up there ones that got kicked out.

He played the lead up forward a few times last year and did pretty well.
If it wasn't for that Franklin bloke coming back from suspension, he would have played as a forward in the big dance.

My one wish is that this bloke gets a flag while he is with us.

Last edited:
He played the lead up forward a few times last year and did pretty well.
If it wasn't for that Franklin bloke coming back from suspension, he would have played as a forward in the big dance.

My one wish is that this bloke gets a flag before while he is with us.

Might put a smile on the dial of a few supporters if it was he who in fact kicked the winning goal...

Has value as a forward crashing packs and halving cantests to keep the ball in forward 50. I prefer him there to be honest
I would prefer him in the forward line but he surprised to the upside on Friday. He was manic at the contest.

I was his harshest critic when we picked him up...have certainly had to eat humble pie (and happy to do so). Gives 110% whether its with the Hawks or with Box Hill...would love him to taste victory on GF day as it would be just reward to a true, blue clubman who bleeds for his team. Love ya Spang...keep up the usual good work mate!

OK obviously I am in the minority but I don't get it. Why does Spangher get such plaudits? I understand he gives his all but I would argue most players do. Is it the hair?

Are you criticising Spanger?

Jesus Christ!

He is a good swing man but honestly if you watched his game on Friday night he is the perfect KPD, we really may have found something special in Spang if he is given a fair crack at making that semi-vacant CHB role. He is super physical, a great size in KG terms and is very athletic, the guy has long arms which is vital for spoiling in those contested marking situations. Spang could very well be the key to our success, if he allows us to use Schoey as the genuine swing man who can turn games front and back then we may well be onto something here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see Spanker getting his own thread and Swans fans would be genuinely glad he's doing well. Many of us had a real soft spot for him but alas he played too few games in the red and white. Hope he stays injury free and continues to make the most of his talent and huge endeavour. Wish he'd stayed with us, as we do Jesse White and even Andrejs Everitt but we had to make room for some no-name imports (who are yet to earn their salaries). Injuries have cursed us since that 2012 flag. Ironic if in the end all we have is Tommy Walsh and LRT holding up our forward line.

Was pissed off at first when I saw the thread. The Spangher has a crack, a real red hot go. Good time Johnny was a malingerer.

Agree that they are both cult figures with the fans.

Johnny Barker is a hero to all men.

You leave him alone.

Last edited:
spangher-jpg.29250

Deserves a repost :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back